• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Tracked into a buck I've bumped into a few times over the past few years...not hard to mistake the guy....over half of his left ear went missing some time ago.

He walked in last season...10 points (from what I could see) on a broad rack...and a barrel chest.

Guy popped up today.

Anymore, I don't know if I would take a shot on him if he stood broad to me.

Makes me wonder if I'm getting soft.

Meh....probably tough anyway... not good for much beyond sausage....maybe there's some young deer with tender backstraps running around there.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have to respect those big bucks that have survived long enough to mature like that. They have avoided being shot and hit on the road so might just deserve to live a bit longer. I have a couple on my cameras that are developing quite nicely right now. I think we are getting soft here too. After seeing the herd in our area dwindle to almost nothing but puny looking deer a few years ago, it is nice to see some nicer deer hanging around our feeding areas. We have switched our hunting focus to coyotes in an effort to help the deer as well. I don't mind eating beef and pork since I have access to homegrown sources of both.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It'd be nice if my kid would use my Ruger #1 and put a 100" buck in my freezer.
    Try again for something over 125" by recurve.
    Outside of that..........bored.
    Bigger one made it through season.........dunno if he's still kickin' though.
    Should be Booner this yr.
    If I kill him with Blackwidow I can quit and take up golf

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It'd be nice if my kid would use my Ruger #1 and put a 100" buck in my freezer.
    Try again for something over 125" by recurve.
    Outside of that..........bored.
    Bigger one made it through season.........dunno if he's still kickin' though.
    Should be Booner this yr.
    If I kill him with Blackwidow I can quit and take up golf

My hat's off to you, if you could accomplish this feat.
    I don't think I could get close enough to a deer to kill it with a poisonous arachnid.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Haven't set up my 55# HS yet.
    Need a Bear/Delta 7 arrow quiver.
    No longer made.
    Have one on my 48# HF1225.

Was gonna shoot today, but had to bury the kids pet mouse (whole family bummed- he was a cool little dude).

Pets, even the tiny ones............gets tougher the older ya get.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    All the farm ground (atleast where I hunt) is going to be picked early this year. I've only been hunting for 3 years, but I wonder how that will affect the season.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    All the farm ground (atleast where I hunt) is going to be picked early this year. I've only been hunting for 3 years, but I wonder how that will affect the season.

I'd much rather have the corn picked early than late. Last year they were picking corn during the rut in November and it really threw us a curve, the consistently east winds didn't help either. If your hunting ground has the cover they use when crops are down having them down should concentrate them in the woods.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Anymore, I don't know if I would take a shot on him if he stood broad to me.

Makes me wonder if I'm getting soft.

It's your responsibility as a conscientious hunter to continually reevaluate why you are hunting, how well you are killing, and whether your answers to those first two satisfy the question of "Should I continue, take a break, or quit?"

If that makes a hunter soft, then I guess after 26 (?) seasons in the woods, I'm apparently a softy.

I have nothing left to prove to anybody except the animals, and that especially includes myself. If it suits you, I highly recommend you adopt the same approach.

-Nate

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Gotta kill to grill.
    Just not into filling my freezer.
    One is good enough.
    And if I gotta shoot one, might as well have some headgear........bigger the better.
    Got no prob killing, good at it actually.
    Just don't want to do it as much.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Well, I just got an email that deer reduction zones start in two weeks.
    I've never hunted a deer reduction zone. But I have a rifle and pistol that are both legal for deer. I'm in the Greenwood area and I'd love to take a few down in the reduction zones.

How does this work? A lot of the zone is what I would consider public property. Some of it, we actually own a few acres on and know others who have land in the area, too. Should I start knocking on doors?
    Only time I've ever hunted deer was on private property of family or friends. This would definitely be a new thing for me.

Top Bottom