• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Took these two walleye on Lake Winnibigoshish (Winnie to the locals) over the 4th of July holiday, about 30 miles east of Bemidji, MN. The slot up there is 18 to 23 inches, anything in the slot has to go back. Both of these were 23 1/4. Barely legal, but legal. My wife and I ate very well that night!

IMG951542_zpsoewphotm.jpg

IMG951546_zpsfuveidri.jpg

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Nice.

walleye cheeks are amazing!!!

I have done an annual fishing trip to Lake Erie for the last four years, there are 6 of us normally. We usually do well, enough fish for everyone to take home plus enough for all of us to eat dinner on the night before we leave. But only one guy gets the cheeks, we toss coins to see who gets the cheeks. I have yet to win.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Congrats, and nice walleye. Looks like you had a nice time and probably a lot cooler weather than we had down here for the 4th.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Congrats, and nice walleye. Looks like you had a nice time and probably a lot cooler weather than we had down here for the 4th.

Was actually quite hot on the 4th. But on the morning of Friday the 6th when I caught the fish it dropped down to 52 degrees. But by 7:30 was already peeling off layers.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    For anyone who loves to fish for walleye, a fly in trip somewhere in Ontario should be your next fishing trip.:yesway:

Went a couple years ago at the end of September. The outfitter was very reluctant to let us go that late in the year because the fishing would be sooooooo bad. I asked what a party of 4 would catch in a week of "good" fishing. He said at least 400 fish. OK. So what does a "bad" week look like? He said, you'll be luck to catch 200.

We talked him into it. He gave us a very reduced rate and we caught well over 200 fish. The biggest problem we had was NOT catching a pike on every cast.

The only catch is your possession limit is 3 fish, with only one being over 18". And the ones in your belly count towards your limit. We might have been in violation of that a couple times.;)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    For anyone who loves to fish for walleye, a fly in trip somewhere in Ontario should be your next fishing trip.:yesway:

Went a couple years ago at the end of September. The outfitter was very reluctant to let us go that late in the year because the fishing would be sooooooo bad. I asked what a party of 4 would catch in a week of "good" fishing. He said at least 400 fish. OK. So what does a "bad" week look like? He said, you'll be luck to catch 200.

We talked him into it. He gave us a very reduced rate and we caught well over 200 fish. The biggest problem we had was NOT catching a pike on every cast.

The only catch is your possession limit is 3 fish, with only one being over 18". And the ones in your belly count towards your limit. We might have been in violation of that a couple times.;)

I'm hoping to do a fly-in in Ontario (also some awesome spots in Manitoba) maybe next year around mid-June. I hear they check you pretty close at the border. I know a couple guys who fish Canada for Walleye and Northern, they leave a little bit of the skin on the fillets to make it easier for the guys doing the inspection.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I'm hoping to do a fly-in in Ontario (also some awesome spots in Manitoba) maybe next year around mid-June. I hear they check you pretty close at the border. I know a couple guys who fish Canada for Walleye and Northern, they leave a little bit of the skin on the fillets to make it easier for the guys doing the inspection.

I believe the skin on fillets is mandatory. We didn't get checked coming back. They asked how many fish we had? 12. Ok, see ya.:yesway:

This guy knows more about Canadian fly ins than any other human. He was a HUGE help in getting us hooked up...

Mike Borger

He has videos of various camps on his YouTube channel as well.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I believe the skin on fillets is mandatory. We didn't get checked coming back. They asked how many fish we had? 12. Ok, see ya.:yesway:

This guy knows more about Canadian fly ins than any other human. He was a HUGE help in getting us hooked up...

Mike Borger

He has videos of various camps on his YouTube channel as well.

Thanks for the tip. Would really love to do this.

Top Bottom