• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just watched a male cardinal land on the rail of my deck and hop along the rail about half of the perimeter. That's not so unusual, then a female landed near him on the rail and the touched beaks. After that, they hopped around different places in a tall bush near the rail and now their exploring the ground.

I've never seen a mated pair together before. Are they just out looking for food and/or building materials in the same place, or since they're both here, are the building a nest nearby?

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I have a pair that comes eat at my feeders all the time. I wish I knew where their nest is....they are always by each other though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Today was one of the few times I wish that I had a smart phone with a good camera. It would have been cool to have video of Mr. C hopping around the railing of my deck like he was on a tiny pogo stick.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    They like safflower seed and the squirrels don't.
    I feed them mostly when it snows. They know to show up. Once had 35 of them around my feeder.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    From what I have read about Cardinals. The male usually is "mean" to the female unless it is during breeding and nesting time. Then he will "wooo" her with sunflower seeds and the like to gain her affections. All that aside, they are beautiful birds to watch. Like DCR my elderly mother feeds them in the winter and really enjoys watching them as do all the family.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's funny how territorial cardinals are in the spring and summer, but they don't mind bunching up in the winter...

That's a great photo. I can't tell if they're getting ready to regulate that blue jay on the birdhouse, or if he already regulated them and chased them back to the bush!

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Thanks. There is a red-bellied woodpecker on the feeder, and the bluejay will have to wait until he is done.

The cardinals will wait until the bluejay leaves. There is a definite pecking order. (No pun intended)

That's a great photo. I can't tell if they're getting ready to regulate that blue jay on the birdhouse, or if he already regulated them and chased them back to the bush!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks. There is a red-bellied woodpecker on the feeder, and the bluejay will have to wait until he is done.

The cardinals will wait until the bluejay leaves. There is a definite pecking order. (No pun intended)

So the woodpecker is the badass of the birdfeeder (BotB)?

Top Bottom