• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, my FIL decided to give me his old (1960's) 2-person aluminum fishing boat. He hasn't used it since the early 1990's. Thought it would be nice to take my little girl out a few times a summer, rather than just fish from the shore.

BUT... because it has an electric trolling motor, it is a "motor boat". It must be titled, registered, and properly stickered with half-dozen different tags. It has NEVER been titled, doesn't have a Hull ID number (just a serial number), but does have a really old (1991) registration form. There are some numbers on the side, that I guess are the registration numbers.

According to the BMV, I need a Bill of Sale (for a free boat), and a I need to have it inspected by a cop (supposedly $5). Probably ask permission to get a Hull ID (another $10 and a bunch of paperwork and time) since it doesn't have one. Then I get to pay yearly title/registration/LAR/etc... fees. It feels like the State doesn't WANT you to take your kids fishing.

Half tempted to remove the trolling motor and just row the thing. Don't need ANY of this mess. Just some $5 DNR sticker.

Any LEO on here bored, and want to fill out some boat paperwork?

I'm supposed to dig out his little boat trailer from the back of his garage next week. Don't know if I WANT to deal with that. I'm sure it will need a dozen forms and another $100 for the luxury of having a crappy little boat trailer.

:soapbox:

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I hope you have a pickup truck to transport your boat. And when in state waters please have life vests for everyone in the boat. The DNR will be more hospitable if there are any questions.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    If it has a boat trailer that will also need a tile and registration. If not you will have to do the same with the bill of sale and police inspection. I’ve been down this road with many boats and trailers. Good luck fishing if you ever get to it. Lol.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I also have jumped thru all the hoops you are considering. I would get the $5.00 permit and use it as a row boat until you figure out if you will use it enough to warrant the other permits, battery etc. Good luck, boat ownership is another drain on your time and money but fun.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I also have jumped thru all the hoops you are considering. I would get the $5.00 permit and use it as a row boat until you figure out if you will use it enough to warrant the other permits, battery etc. Good luck, boat ownership is another drain on your time and money but fun.
    Like the old saying goes, "A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money." ;)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, I have been informed by La Directora that we will be titling and registering her father's old boat. She want us to use it just as she remembers using it growing up. It is a sentimental thing. Can't argue with that (well, I could, but I would lose).

Sooo..... How does one get a cop to inspect a boat? I assume this is NOT worthy of 911. ;)

Can I take it somewhere? Personally, I try to keep my "professional" interactions with law enforcement to a minimum.

Side note: Looks like they kept up on the trailer registration all these years. Literally has not been used since 1991. At least it should be easier to transfer, if I can ever get it out of the garage.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Literally has not been used since 1991. At least it should be easier to transfer, if I can ever get it out of the garage.

There's a chance that the boat and trailer are too corroded and unsafe to be usable? Ahem...

Ha! My kiddo has been riding lately. I see that in my future.

I pick expensive hobbies: Jeeps, guns, boats, horses.... I need to take up knitting or something.

Dude. You're in so. much. trouble. My wife is a "rehabilitated" horse girl. Raised on a horse farm (13 head at max). Competed on high-level national show circuits when she was a kid/teen. Her dad was in the Great American Horse Race in 1976 (https://www.atlasobscura.com/articl...-race-was-won-by-a-mule-named-lord-fauntleroy , https://www.amazon.com/Great-American-Horse-Race-1976/dp/0963830201 -- her dad is the guy wearing the hat in that cover photo, The Great American Horse Race of 1976) She was boarding a horse at a barn just south of Bargersville when we started dating. He (finally...) died about 4.5 years ago. So. Much. Money. And her barn was CHEAP cheap CHEAP compared to many.

My advice to you: Keep up with the lessons. Use someone else's horse and saddle. Buy her her own helmet and boots and be done with it. See if you can work out a deal with the barn to trade her work for a discount on riding lessons. Don't buy your own animal. :D

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well, I have been informed by La Directora that we will be titling and registering her father's old boat. She want us to use it just as she remembers using it growing up. It is a sentimental thing. Can't argue with that (well, I could, but I would lose).

Sooo..... How does one get a cop to inspect a boat? I assume this is NOT worthy of 911. ;)

Can I take it somewhere? Personally, I try to keep my "professional" interactions with law enforcement to a minimum.

Side note: Looks like they kept up on the trailer registration all these years. Literally has not been used since 1991. At least it should be easier to transfer, if I can ever get it out of the garage.

If you're in the county call the SD and tell them you want to do a VIN check. They'll send someone out when they're available. Supposed to be a $5 charge or something like that but when I did it he wouldn't take any money.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    On a similar note my boat costs about $150/year for the boat registration, then add trailer registration and insurance and a bought and paid for boat still costs me about $300/year before it ever sees the water PLUS maintenance and upkeep. It hasn't been on the water in two years but we sure do enjoy it when we do go.

A buddy uses his boat primarily in TN so he stores it down there and registers it down there. I think their annual registration is something like $25. I checked and as long that is where it's primarily used then you can do that so I guess one trip to TN per year would make it legal for me!!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Like another member said. I had to go to my local police station and pay $5. Once paid they will dispatch an officer to your house and do the check.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    You are lucky you only have the one boat. I have three that I like to use for different situations. A 12' aluminum V-hull for water that is designated 10HP-, an 8' Sportyack for river trips, and a 32yo 17' canoe for deer hunting/hauling. Trailer and boat registration for the V-bottom, registration on the 8'er, motorized boat launch stickers for all three. I may use each two to three times per year, but I make them available for use by anyone who asks. I just hope and expect that the money goes to good use.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    eldirector, every dollar of every "fee" is nothing more than some agency collecting more taxes. Whether it is a car, house or as you found out, a gift of a boat, the government in one or more of it's agency forms will find a way to tax you so that they can fund sometimes good, but mostly items we will never see, usually to justify their existance.

It is amazing what they find to charge you another tax (fee, license, _______ (fill in the blank)).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah.. This boat has seen it all, and never left Indiana.
    Started with no fees at all.
    Then a sticker was required.
    Then registration, and two stickers.
    Now, Title, registration, and 2 stickers, and another "fee".
    Looking at all the Boat Operator training on the DNR website, it would not surprise me if they add "Boat Endorsement" to your driver's license next. :spend:

Just blows my mind that the same boat with oars is $5 total. Add in an itty-bitty electric trolling motor, and it get's closer to $100 / year, and a bunch of paperwork.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Just traded up to a nicer jon boat. Me and my two kids spent two hours in the local BMV. Spent a **** load then had to buy a 25 dollar Indiana lake permit.

Sometimes I think it's hardley worth it. It's a lot of work towing, storing, and maintaining a boat of any kind.

Told the wife I'm fishing every weekend or I got to sell this thing. Now the smiles on my kids faces when they each reeled in a bass on their first casts the other day helped ease the pain a little. Then it rained and I found out the cover does nothing. Time to break ground for a garage.:spend:

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    :):
    Looking at all the Boat Operator training on the DNR website, it would not surprise me if they add "Boat Endorsement" to your driver's license next. :spend:

Just blows my mind that the same boat with oars is $5 total. Add in an itty-bitty electric trolling motor, and it get's closer to $100 / year, and a bunch of paperwork.

Probably have to get a new tackle box too?

View attachment 68451

:):
    MH

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Another positive is you got the boat for free.

My wifes grandpa gave me a setup like that. I put five hundred in it ran it a season then pedealed it for 1500. Bought a jon boat setup for the 1500 fixed it up ran it for two seasons and pedealed it for 2500. Stole another jon boat set up for 6500 from a neighbor. It currently books out at 8-9k.

You can trade your way up like I did in a few years or fix it up and sell it. Profit and be done.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Ahhh.... Dont ya love Big brother!!! Such a load of crap. Not bad enough that 50% of your income goes to taxes of some sort, so they hit ya with a little more just to be able to relax. Ain't life grand?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Ha! My kiddo has been riding lately. I see that in my future.

I pick expensive hobbies: Jeeps, guns, boats, horses.... I need to take up knitting or something.

The fees on the boats is based on their sale price when new so yours shouldn't be too bad of a hit.

You haven't priced yarn lately, have you? Trust me...knitting is not an inexpensive hobby. Better think of something else like gardening...oh wait...that isn't cheap either. If you find a cheap hobby let me know because I might consider one if I could find it! :laugh:

Top Bottom