Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Why does property have to be marked? If it is not your property or public property or you do not have permission, and no emergency exists why can't people just stay off?

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    There is no fence, sign, or significant other boundary marker that will keep unauthorized people off another's personal property. I have had many signs removed from my land, as well as cameras stolen. The last camera I hid(not very well) in a high tree, was gone in less than three days. I do welcome the new law as an efficient way to at least notify trespassers of boundaries. I've had two cans of the spray paint on my shelf for two years and plan on using them soon. I've gotten better at hiding and securing my cameras. I should have good data on the success of the purple paint project after a hunting season and into the shrooming season of next Spring.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There is no fence, sign, or significant other boundary marker that will keep unauthorized people off another's personal property. I have had many signs removed from my land, as well as cameras stolen. The last camera I hid(not very well) in a high tree, was gone in less than three days. I do welcome the new law as an efficient way to at least notify trespassers of boundaries. I've had two cans of the spray paint on my shelf for two years and plan on using them soon. I've gotten better at hiding and securing my cameras. I should have good data on the success of the purple paint project after a hunting season and into the shrooming season of next Spring.

I feel your pain. Lack of respect for personal property is very frustrating.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Why does property have to be marked? If it is not your property or public property or you do not have permission, and no emergency exists why can't people just stay off?

Many states -- and I believe Indiana is one of them -- have recreational use statutes to encourage landowners to allow people to use their land for recreational purposes like hiking, riding, hunting etc. The statute limits the liability of the private landowner as long as the landowner is not charging for or otherwise authorizing use of the land (e.g. does not apply to commercial/business establishments). The landowner is usually not protected against injuries caused by the landowner's illegal or malicious acts (so no booby traps or tiger pits), or attractive nuisances, but he is relieved of liability from the (legal) trespasser's own acts. Thus the trespassing laws are written with this in mind, i.e. if you don't want people to use your land for recreational purposes, you have to post it. Purple paint is used in several states as an easy, inexpensive, relatively maintenance way to post the property.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I own property that is in a "peninsula" of private land that juts into the Clark County State Forestry. My back property line is against the forestry, my front property line is against a road and the other side is also forestry. Without some sort of marking there is no way to distinguish my property from the public forestry if you were approaching the road from the forestry. I'd actually have to have it surveyed to mark it. It's not a straight line and I'm not sure myself exactly where it is for much of it's length.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I own property that is in a "peninsula" of private land that juts into the Clark County State Forestry. My back property line is against the forestry, my front property line is against a road and the other side is also forestry. Without some sort of marking there is no way to distinguish my property from the public forestry if you were approaching the road from the forestry. I'd actually have to have it surveyed to mark it. It's not a straight line and I'm not sure myself exactly where it is for much of it's length.
    This is similar to an example I used at work to explain this purple paint law to my yuppie city friends / co-workers ( I work in Cincinnati). I've been taking a lot of teasing from my Buckeye friends about the purple fence law and I tried to explain to them that many Hoosiers property backs up to HNF and other public lands and making a fence across their co joining property lines is too expensive. The best teasing I have heard is one of my friends said "well what if your neighbors' cow is color blind and wanders over into your pasture". I told him that Hoosier cows are so smart they could actually read no trespassing signs and that the purple paint was just for humans. :scratch:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm going to make use of it even though I don't expect much.

Me too ! I only have a small (7 acres) wooded getaway property, but it's a stones-throw from Owen Putnam State Forest .... so I have to be vigilant.
    I found it hard to find purple paint in Lowes. Close as I could come was a can marked as "gum drop" !

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A lot of my ground borders the HNF, but I don't get as many problems from there as I do the private ground it borders. Neighbors have two permanent blinds and a stand right on the border clearly hunting over my ground, but there's really nothing I can do unless I catch them with a deer.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    A lot of my ground borders the HNF, but I don't get as many problems from there as I do the private ground it borders. Neighbors have two permanent blinds and a stand right on the border clearly hunting over my ground, but there's really nothing I can do unless I catch them with a deer.

Yup, that's a tough situation !

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom