• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I stared crow hunting this year for two reasons. The first and most important is I like to be out in the field hunting. The second is last week a crow killed two baby robins in my front yard it was a pretty awful site and I decided right then and there there would be some payback. I had called crows in the past with my electronic collar and thought it was pretty interesting how they respond. I seem to be able to call them in pretty close. I decided on bushwhacking for this outing, to keep my bagage to a minimum. Another problem I have is where I hunt only allows steel shot and I don't want to use the steel with a full choke in my shotguns. So that left me with a choice of two rifles my 22 Long rifle or my 223 Long rifle. I chose the 223. It took me a couple hours but I finally found the perfect shot with a good backstop and nailed one at 115 yards. It was a headshot off of a pogo stick. That was my only shot of the day but it was worth it. I think I saw a smile on momma robin when I laid out the wings and feet to dry on the back lawn.

My first crow. #1

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Since this is a bit of a different method for hunting crow here is what I used. Ruger American 223 bolt rifle 22" barrel. Amo Hornady 55gr flex tip. Leupold 3x9 - 40 MOA reticle. Interesting to note that with a head shot at only 115 yards the head is still on the bird. The left side is exploded but the bullet did not pass through. I use thes for coyote but have yet to connect with one, this crow has me wondering about penetration, bit that is for another topic.
    Here is the non gore picture, if you exclude the hunter.
    IMG_0664.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I've never tried hunting them, but while coyote hunting until sun up, I heard some in the distance. Turned on the caller to some crow fight or something, next thing I knew, they were everywhere. It was kind of creepy. Alfred Hitchcock creepy. :nailbite:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I've never tried hunting them, but while coyote hunting until sun up, I heard some in the distance. Turned on the caller to some crow fight or something, next thing I knew, they were everywhere. It was kind of creepy. Alfred Hitchcock creepy. :nailbite:

I have had crows come to my call (rabbit distress) while coyote hunting. Had one dive bomb my call and pulled up (just a few feet off of the ground) at the last minute when it realized it wasn't what it thought it was....at first I was shocked, then I had to laugh about it. :)

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    You should try a custom mouth call made by Darrell Gibson. He is a legend in the crow call business and most turkey hunting supply sites sell his calls since they double as turkey locators. I actually called him directly once and he talked to me for 2 hours about crow hunting.

I don't hunt them much anymore but I do have fun taking my call outside and seeing the crows call back and come searching for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We used to shoot them for sport on the family farm back in the day. They were a dang nuisance at best. The adults hated them. Us kids would post up in the old barn loft way out from the house and bust them all day long.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I usually get my yearly quota while squirrel hunting. If you can catch one in a dead snag and head shoot him so his feet lock up and he just hangs there, upside down, you can shoot crows for a half hour while they fly in to see what's wrong with him. :rockwoot:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I used to whack and stack those things. Think we used a cassette tape type caller and mouth call. Blast them with shotguns. They would come in waves. Used an owl decoy with a bunch of crow decoys set around. Had to run out in between waves to pick up the dead or they would stop coming.

Used to mouth call them into our back yard in town and pop them with a 22 loaded with Calibri rounds or a break barrel pellet gun. It was hilarious! They are tough and had to take a chest or preferably head shot.

Something happened to them in my area and they all died off of some disease. Haven't seen one in years. It was fun blasting them but cant say that I am sad they are gone.

Top Bottom