• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My daughter and I are planning to hike a section of the AT, in the Pearisburg Va area in early September. The plan is to drive to a hostel, leave the car there, and get a shuttle to take us 50 or so miles south, so we can hike back to the hostel and the car. I've been trying to get out several times a week, power-walking a trail near my home, and I think I'll be OK. My daughter is young (31) and in good shape, so I'll be the one trying to keep up with her.

As far as gear goes, we're both pretty set, although I'm using this trip as an excuse to get a good down sleeping bag in the 20-30 degree range.

I'm thinking that we may see some of the southbound hikers at that point, and that would be cool to talk to some folks who've hiked down from Maine.

But, the one big question involves what kind of weather we should plan for. I plan to talk to the people at the hostel on Monday and I'll ask them, and we'll probably take enough clothes for pretty cold weather, and then make the final decision on what goes in the packs when we get there.

Any INGOers have any AT advice? Any hints would be welcome.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php

Everything you need to know is here on this site.
    My wife, stepson and I went a long time ago. He had never really ever hiked before or even camped. He was fresh out of high school. Due to the late start, we went north from Harpers Ferry. We stayed with him for about 100 miles. He made it all the way to the north end on his own. When he graduated from college he went back and did the south half.
    Enjoy the time and the countryside.

Bob

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

All the hiking that I've done so far has been in Indiana and Kentucky, and I've had my 9mm Shield every time. If I can carry in VA, I'll take it with me, but if not, I won't worry too much about it (I can do wicked damage with my Kabar Boy Scout knife if I need to).

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php

Everything you need to know is here on this site.
    My wife, stepson and I went a long time ago. He had never really ever hiked before or even camped. He was fresh out of high school. Due to the late start, we went north from Harpers Ferry. We stayed with him for about 100 miles. He made it all the way to the north end on his own. When he graduated from college he went back and did the south half.
    Enjoy the time and the countryside.

Bob

Thanks for the info.

I started backpacking in order to spend time with my son. We've camped since he was a little kid, in state parks and in HNF deer hunting, but, as he got older, it seemed like there were fewer opportunities. Then, one day last summer he texted and asked if I still had that old frame pack that I got for $5 at a rummage sale years ago. That led to our first overnight trail hike, and from there, we've accumulated better gear (four big plastic totes full, and that doesn't count packs or sleeping bags) and we've done 6 trips from 16 miles to 36 miles.

My daughter lives in Durham, NC, and one evening I was giving her the report of one of my trips with her brother, and she said "Why don't you come down here sometime and hike? You know the AT isn't too far from me..." So, now I'm off for that adventure.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Put everything you might need in your pack, then take it all out and get rid of half of it.
    Use trekking poles, or at least a hiking stick.
    Don't use new boots.
    Everything you carry should have more than one purpose/use.
    Don't expect cell reception.
    It can get very cool and damp at altitude.
    Be prepared to spend extra time at any overlooks - take it easy and enjoy!
    Hope you get a good trail name. You can't pick your own - it must be given to you by a fellow hiker.
    Be open to Trail Magic. We were in VA on the AT during the gov shutdown several years ago. We brought a BUNCH of extra food on one of our week-long hike, since my wife "read somewhere" that we would use 4000 calories/day. We encountered some hikers that were depending on the now-closed NPS camp stores to resupply. Now they would have to hike miles down off the ridge to get to a store, then miles back up. We gave away a lot of food. We also met a girl in a parking lot who was supposed to start a gov job but now had to wait. She was about to drive out and we asked of she wanted to hike with us. She said she had all her equipment but no food. We covered that and she was with us for 3 days. And we still had food left over at the end when we reached the now-closed lodge at Big Meadows. So much for a comfy last night and a shower.
    Don't skimp on socks.
    Bring a good first-aid kit.
    The first day is the hardest. Except the second day is harder.
    Have a good water filter.

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Put everything you might need in your pack, then take it all out and get rid of half of it.
    Use trekking poles, or at least a hiking stick.
    Don't use new boots.
    Everything you carry should have more than one purpose/use.
    Don't expect cell reception.
    It can get very cool and damp at altitude.
    Be prepared to spend extra time at any overlooks - take it easy and enjoy!
    Hope you get a good trail name. You can't pick your own - it must be given to you by a fellow hiker.
    Be open to Trail Magic. We were in VA on the AT during the gov shutdown several years ago. We brought a BUNCH of extra food on one of our week-long hike, since my wife "read somewhere" that we would use 4000 calories/day. We encountered some hikers that were depending on the now-closed NPS camp stores to resupply. Now they would have to hike miles down off the ridge to get to a store, then miles back up. We gave away a lot of food. We also met a girl in a parking lot who was supposed to start a gov job but now had to wait. She was about to drive out and we asked of she wanted to hike with us. She said she had all her equipment but no food. We covered that and she was with us for 3 days. And we still had food left over at the end when we reached the now-closed lodge at Big Meadows. So much for a comfy last night and a shower.
    Don't skimp on socks.
    Bring a good first-aid kit.
    The first day is the hardest. Except the second day is harder.
    Have a good water filter.

My trail name was "Stoneface" ! LOL
    Trekking poles are worth their weight in gold.

Bob

Top Bottom