• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    Has anyone done a prairie dog hunt in southern Kansas, or northern Oklahoma? Looking for recommendations on guides or outfitters. I want that region as I have family out there and could visit at the same time.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Man, I haven't done that since I was a kid. My dad's side of the family is from north central, OK and we had family friends that had a farm out there way back then. All the ground hogs you could shoot was one less creating problems for their cattle. I'm not sure I ever got one but I remember how fun it was.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I can't really help you as far as guides go , but I would say just knock on a few doors while your out there . A lot of ranches use poison to control them , but it's not hard to tell which ones don't . There will be fresh holes and those little guys running everywhere . We have hunted west central Kansas for years and the peolpe are extremely easy going and friendly .

If you find a place that has fresh holes and animals , just start doing a little asking around . More than likely you will find a place to go .

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    I can't really help you as far as guides go , but I would say just knock on a few doors while your out there . A lot of ranches use poison to control them , but it's not hard to tell which ones don't . There will be fresh holes and those little guys running everywhere . We have hunted west central Kansas for years and the peolpe are extremely easy going and friendly .

If you find a place that has fresh holes and animals , just start doing a little asking around . More than likely you will find a place to go .
    I've seen that suggested elsewhere, but I figured that would be like walking around here asking to deer hunt. Anyplace that looks promising is already taken, or the landowner has been asked.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    You might be suprised at how easy it is . It's a pest or vermin , nothing like trying to get permission to deer hunt at all . I struggle to find new places to deer hunt around here , but if I ask about coyote hunting , I rarely get turned away . I would imagine it would be the same with praire dogs .

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I've seen that suggested elsewhere, but I figured that would be like walking around here asking to deer hunt. Anyplace that looks promising is already taken, or the landowner has been asked.

I doubt that is the case at all. Everyone and their grandmother wants to hunt deer. Nobody in their right mind would touch a Pdawg much less eat it. It's live target practice with really dumb targets.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Number of years ago, visited a friend who moved out to Montana. He took me out to one farm/ranch to pop a few PD's near a hay field. Rolling hills for miles and miles. Did pop 3 out of four at 500 yards. I was always asking questions about wildlife out there, found out there are certain areas that ranchers or wealthy land owners will keep life stock off of hundreds of acres or maybe a couple thousand acres to promote dense populations of PD's. They never want all killed off as the wealthy will invite business friends and associates out for several days of shooting, then let others come out for a fee to have some fun.

Some ranchers make as much or more income by having a large area set off for nothing but PD's. These usually have the same group of guys come out every year and pay cash. They won't kill off as many as they can because they know they will be back next year. So many it's not hard to leave a lot for "seed". I was told that some groups have gone out the same ranch for so many years, and chose to camp out in the middle of nowhere that they store all their camping gear in one of the owners building so they don't have to pack it home and then back again. Being paid in cash the owner makes a lot more money than he would from running cattle or sheep. I asked how much that would cost, and was told that his disposable income and mine might not cover just one shooter. Shot some PD's out in Wyoming one year where I found out that one of the rifle scope companies leased the PD shooting on 200,000 acres for their best distributors as their reward for high sales. Was also told that there have been very rich oil sheiks fly in on their private jets to pop PD's and then go after Antelope on a leased ranch of high acreage.

Others have told me that it took years for them to find a place that had a good population of PD's and get permission. Once they got to know the owner they had it made. They also called him a couple of times every year just to ask how his was, how's it going, saw on TV some nasty weather went through your area, sent Christmas Cards, and always brought presents for him and his wife with them when they went out to shoot. They offer to pay something each year, but always get turned down.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I've been hunting dogs for a few years now. I was skeptical of the advice to just ask around, but that's pretty much what I did. I started with calling the local co-ops getting names and calling folks up. It really ended up working out well and the best part is that it's free. We do treat the farmers well taking them special things from our local area but it all works out well in the end for both parties. My advice would be to do some similar leg work, you'll be surprised with what you can come up with.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've found several opportunities by searching the 'net. Many county or small town chambers of commerce will have a list of hunting guides or ranchers who welcome prairie dog shooters. Find contact info and call the C of C. We've shot in the Oklahoma panhandle several times with an outfit called Pheasant Ridge Hunting. https://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/business/pheasant-ridge-hunting-club-ok/ Lots of pheasant hunting outfitters do prairie dogs as a off-season gig. I've always followed the philosophy of a former member of another forum whose sig line was "I don't want to hunt 'em. I just want to shoot 'em" I'm willing to pay for food and lodging where they'll put me on the dogs rather than drive 1K miles in hopes of finding some.

Top Bottom