• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I recently came back from a trip where I got to use a Kayak (first time) in a group setting.
    It was a 2 seat Kayak from Perception model Cove.
    Amazon link here

I've been in a canoe before (twice again in a group setting) and have used that here in NWI but never had the desire/funds/courage to buy one myself and do more water activities. In any case I think I'm ready now to do more of this activity just me either here in NWI (wolf lake, calumet river) or in the Chicagoland area (ie. lake Michigan, Chicago river).

My first though was just get the Kayak I used (see link above). But sadly it's not available locally fro Dick's Sporting Good or Cabelas or Bass Pro. Amazon does have it with free shipping. However I figured I hit INGO up before I went that route to see if there is something else I should look at. I would like a 2 seater in case I take company which may be 30% of the time only.

In terms of paddles I figured I start off with this basic one as it was the type I used as well.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01EOOO...colid=TV6CLRFA9E6B&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    Werner Baja Fiberglass 2-Piece Paddle - Straight Shaft

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have no experience with that kayak, but did just buy my first kayak at the beginning of July after doing a lot of research. Are you set on getting a 2 person kayak? It will be heavier and harder to transport compared to a shorter 1 person. Do you plan on fishing any?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    not going to fish
    just spend time paddling the waters
    im not oppose to a 1 person. my experience has only been in 2 people canoes and kayaks thus why thinking of a 2 person in case anyone wants to come with.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    You don't want a two-person kayak to use alone 70% of the time. If anything, buy a ~$150 second kayak for the second person.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    You don't want a two-person kayak to use alone 70% of the time. If anything, buy a ~$150 second kayak for the second person.

This. You can get a decent 10 foot kayak from rural king or a place like dunhams for under $200 to have if someone wants to go with you.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Been kayaking for over twenty years. I highly suggest getting two singles. People really like to be able to go off on their own to investigate things along the shores etc. My wife likes to stretch her legs out and dose off. Maybe buy a ten foot to start, get comfortable with how they handle, then buy one that is a little longer and narrower. You'll like the little bit of extra speed. We have Old Town and Daggar, but I don't think brand matters a whole lot. Get paddles that separate and can rotate. My wife likes hers on a single plane, I like mine rotated about 30 degrees. Of course you need vests. I would also recommend a manual pump and a dry bag.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I am in my kayak about 200 hrs each summer. I have a 2 person Perception similar to the one you show and a single 11' 6" Perception Swifty. They are both very good for the money. The 2 person is very unwieldy wiyh one paddler so another less $ single would be a good way to go.

I am large sized, the Swifty has a large opening-easy in/ easy out for me. Very comfortable to sit in.

Paddles are by preference, match them to your arm length and strength. Long/strong arms get a longer paddle.

Don

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    ok then which type for me then in the singles?

It honestly comes down to your budget and how much you intend to use it. Kayaks are available from $200 to $2000, and everywhere in between. I would suggest a 12' yak just because you might be out on larger waters. Are you able to carry a kayak by yourself? My 12' weighs around 65 pounds and is a bit of a workout if having to carry it more than just in and out of the truck.

DapperDan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I have a perception Pescador 12’ and love it. It’s my first kayak and have been using it all summer. Plenty of room for storage inside as well as a large open area behind the seat. The seat is pretty comfortable as it has an adjustable backrest. I got mine on sale from academy sports for 399. I highly recommend it or one similar to it

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have 3 kayaks. All el cheapo sun dolphins. The last one I bought at Rural King with the paddle for I believe $179. 2 of them are 10 footers and one is an 8 footer. I would not recommend an 8 footer. It is not as stable, and does not track as well. If you plan on going on Lake Michigan, the 12 footer might be a good idea. For rivers and small lakes, the sun dolphins are a good beginner kayak. If you get more serious about the sport, spend a little more money.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I've engaged in a couple dozen of these discussions. The best advice, which I haven't seen here yet, is try it before you buy it. You have experience in one kayak. Try several. They're different. They vary in length, width, weight, stability, tracking, and features. Go to a Demo Day or buy from a place that lets you try it out first, not Dick's or Amazon. How will you transport and store it? I've run across maybe a half dozen people who didn't try it beforehand and they're mad now.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    thanks after reading all this and online stuff i figured i head to chiraq (aka chicago) and rental from some of the kayak companies in the city and do their tours to try a few other brands/models.

right now im leaning towards the sun dolphin aruba 10 ss for the rivers/lake around my area and then later on getting the preception as that is $$$$ vs the dolphin.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    right now im leaning towards the sun dolphin aruba 10 ss for the rivers/lake around my area

We have 22 kayaks total (youth camp director here), and they are all the sub-$250 type. We mostly keep them on our pond at the camp, but a couple times each year we'll take a group of students on the Flatrock River. They are all 8 - 10 feet in length.

The Aruba 10 SS is perfectly adequate for Indiana lakes & rivers. I'm 5'10 and 200 lbs, and that's the kind I use when we go on the river. They've held up well to the kind of abuse that nobody would do to their own stuff, and they are light enough that you can carry one by yourself.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I put in over 100 miles a year lake paddling. I'll assume you are talking about sit-on-top kayaks.
    Get two singles. Don't go smaller than 10'. Paddle a $200 Rural King / Wally World kayak then paddle a better quality kayak. If you buy the $200 one I promise that you will hate yourself. Having a kayak that tracks well is the difference between night and day.

Think about dry storage as well. It's nice to be able to put stuff inside the bow and have it stay dry. The tank well in the back is handy for your cooler and stuff you might want to access often.

I have 3 Perception Prescadors and could not be happier.

Dirty Steve

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ive only been out on the water 3 times.
    first and second time in a canoe on the little cal river.
    my last experience was a person kayak in a fl bay and then into the costal waters of the gulf of mexico.

all 3 were fun. the canoe just seems bigger/heavier for 1 person. i dont fish, nor do i really need to concern myself with dry storage. im seeing this as more exercise. going back n forth across wolf lake, going up an down the little cal river n then later some coastal lake michigan stuff.

it was fun the last time.
    the first time was horrible as i was sore all over.
    the 2nd time was ok. this last time was great. i was not sore and just mildy winded. so my upper body strenght has improbed. :) guess the gym does that. lol.

Top Bottom