• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Squirrel season opened on the 15th but I had to wait until this morning (19th) to get out there. It was nice early with temps in low 70's but by 10 am it was getting warm and I was working up a sweat as i worked my way back to the truck.

The squirrels didnt cooperate very well this morning as I only saw two. The first one saw me first and hightailed it thru the treetops moving away from me back the way I had just came from. I found several hickories that they have been cutting on but the sign was a few days old. Taking my time I went from hickory to hickory angling up over the ridge but never saw another squirrel for the next hour or so.

Finally I saw movement and got into position for a shot. This fox squirrel came down into a maple tree and gave me the look. That was all I needed as I already had him in my crosshairs. In a split second I sent a 16 gr JSB travelling at 920 fps thru his head and he dropped like a rock, never even twitched. Pellet entered in front of his left eye and came out the right rear of his head.

It was getting late so I headed back to the truck happy that I got the one. Never saw any more after that. They just weren't out today for some reason but I know there are plenty in that woods as I see lots deer hunting.

I'm really liking my Diana Outlaw and it is one of my all time favorite air rifles.

Next was the Rainstorm .25 turn

took off the rest of the week for a little vacation. It's our 37th anniversary so the wife and I are going away for a couple days to just relax and spend some time together.
    But today was mine so I got up early and headed to the woods for a squirrel hunt. It was time to test out the RS and see how it would perform. Unfortunately the squirrels weren't cooperating again and I only saw two. First was a grey that was moving through the treetops and never offered a shot. After a while I heard one cutting so I worked my way closer to get a shot.
    It is tough this time of year with the leaves so thick. I spent almost an hour trying to find this one squirrel and when I did I didnt have a good shot from where I was standing. So i moved to the next tree but still no shot. I backed up a few feet and found him laying on a limb facing away from me. He didnt move for a long time so I decided to take a "Texas heart shot" since I had my .25 60fpe RS. I hit him right where I aimed and he fell out like a rock. The 34 gr JSB went up the rear and stopped between his shoulder blades killing him in seconds. Not the best shot choice but I didnt ruin any meat and killed him instantly.
    The squirrels just aren't moving much for some reason. There are lots of hickories and oaks that are loaded with nuts but maybe they're just not ripe enough yet.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    http:// 2018-08-19_09-16-52 by Jim Hankins, on Flickr

Glad to see someone else using an airgun-I'm 15 for 15 in three mornings with my .25 marauder.Way quieter and safer than a rimfire.

I call b/s. Not any quieter than my suppressed .22 and safety is a function of the shooter, not the weapon or the round. Pellets will ricochet, same as rimfire rounds. Velocity is very close to subsonics.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I too went out this morning. So humid my glasses kept fogging up. Got a glimpse of 2 at a distance.
    But I did kill the porch chewing fox squirrel from an air conditioned seat in the dining room while drinking my coffee after I came in.
    :yesway::rockwoot:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I call b/s. Not any quieter than my suppressed .22 and safety is a function of the shooter, not the weapon or the round. Pellets will ricochet, same as rimfire rounds. Velocity is very close to subsonics.

Meh....maybe, but he did save the silliness of a stamp and even greater infringements upon the Second Amendment!

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    No BS,a matter of ballistics-a 26 grain .25 cal. pellet with a ballistic coeffiecient of .036 starting out at 840 fps slows down way faster than a 40 grain .22 subsonic at 1040 fps with a b.c. of .145....Not so much ricochets being a danger as shooting up in trees-at 200yards my pellet has 11 ft.pounds of remaining energy-your suppressed subsonic has 62.....

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No chance where and how I hunt of it being a problem. Unless it falls on a trespassers. I hate trespassers.:):

But I think mine is just as quiet. Which covers the b/s claim. It did cost more to get it that way and I'm fortunate to have that option.

Jim and I have talked a bit about airguns and he knows I want one so he's taking this in good humor, I'm sure. Just so nobody thinks we're duking it out internet style.:)

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    But I think mine is just as quiet. Which covers the b/s claim. It did cost more to get it that way and I'm fortunate to have that option.

:)

I'm sure yours is just as quiet as I've shot a couple suppressed .22's and they were nice and quiet. I wouldn't mind owning one someday.
    Costing more to get there? not sure about that. Airguns aren't cheap. I have spent upwards of two grand on an air rifle and even the cheap Diana Outlaw in my first pic was $500, , the Rainstorm was $750 and that's without the $200 scopes sitting on top of them. Its all about what a person wants, likes and enjoys and airguns are my hobby. I buy, sell , trade, rebuild, repair airguns all the time and it gets expensive but its a lot of fun. Basically ammo cost is cheaper but I just shoot more for the same dollar spent so I really don't save any $ shooting airguns over powder burners. I also have several of those and do reload for the bigger ones.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    No chance where and how I hunt of it being a problem. Unless it falls on a trespassers. I hate trespassers.:):

Jim and I have talked a bit about airguns and he knows I want one so he's taking this in good humor, I'm sure. Just so nobody thinks we're duking it out internet style.:)
    You need to quit fooling around and just buy one! I've got conservatively 20 good rimfires and several thousand rounds of good Eley and SK ammo-haven't used anything but the Marauder for 3-4 years.Would love to have a Rainstorm!

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Those are some very nice looking air guns. I don't know much about them but do you have to fill them from a tank. I've been looking at some and when I'm done building my 300 blk ar I might have some questions for you guys if you don't mind.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Those are some very nice looking air guns. I don't know much about them but do you have to fill them from a tank. I've been looking at some and when I'm done building my 300 blk ar I might have some questions for you guys if you don't mind.
    I fill mine with a hand pump-you can get them from 150-250.00$.Pretty tough to fill the first time,but great excercise.The key is to not let the air get to low-I usually pump mine to 3100 and seldom let it get below 2700.Figure on 4-5 pumps per shot-If I start out at 3100 and shoot 20 shots it's going to take 100 or so pumps to get back to 3100.I usually pump up after every hunt,20-25 pumps and I'm full again.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I never used a hand pump. Started off with a 3000 psi scuba tank then bought a new 4500 psi fiberglass tank which I still use. Also just bought a Yong Heng 4500 psi compressor so now i make my own air.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I never used a hand pump. Started off with a 3000 psi scuba tank then bought a new 4500 psi fiberglass tank which I still use. Also just bought a Yong Heng 4500 psi compressor so now i make my own air.
    I need to pick up a tank-did buy a shoebox compressor a while back.People that haven't used a pcp air rifle can't believe the accuracy and consistency- point of impact virtually never changes-I honestly haven't touched the scope on mine in 3+ years.

Top Bottom