Dove hunting...Anyone else going this weekend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Getting up early Sunday morning and hunting with a buddy I haven't hunted with in 20 years.....The two young guys we're hunting with I've been hunting opening weekend with them for the past five years.....Getting out the little Spanish sidelock 20 gauge....The year before I had hunted with the younger guy's using an 870 20 gauge lightweight and couldn't hit squat...I always bird hunt with doubles and I don't know if it's in my head or what but I could see the younger guy's were like, "I can't believe he owns a gun shop and is this bad a shot...":laugh::laugh::laugh:

So last year I show up with my little sidelock of Basque goodness and I am slaying them....I mean every time....I hear their three shots and then the dove would come by me and I would get it with one shot....After about 20 minutes of this I look over and see them with their jaws hanging open...I look up and say, "This is very disappointing.....I am wanting to see how well this gun shoots but I can't seem to ever need my second barrel..."

One of the boys jumps up and hops on his ATV...I query, "Where are you going?"

"To get my O/U...":laugh::laugh::laugh:

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Have fun! I haven’t been dove hunting in years, but if the birds are moving, it is so much fun! I hope you post a photo tomorrow with your limits of doves and the magic shotgun :)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My cat got a jump start on the season and had one for breakfast the other day. Bad, bad Elvis....I hope the DNR doesn't arrest him for hunting out of season.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Winamac today.
    Not the best spot either.
    Still Field A.............put 10 in the cooler. Got a double (actually dropped first, hit 2nd..... but hit him again to drop him in field).

Beater 1100 12 ga, Imp cyl 26" w crap steel shot.
    Same rig as last yr.
    A bit light w synth stock.

Heavier gun w longer bbl, and mod choke would be better.

Clean it up, put in safe, take it out opening weekend next yr.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I went Saturday morning at a friends. Shot 17, so almost enough for a really good fix. Going to try and get a few more down this week. Waterfowl season isn't far away either!!

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I went Saturday morning at a friends. Shot 17, so almost enough for a really good fix. Going to try and get a few more down this week. Waterfowl season isn't far away either!!

Did they change the bag limit? Used to be 15. Goin out this morning with two friends and two of my boys.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bag limit is 15.

Sounds to me like he couldn't find a couple he hit earlier in the hunt.

Use steel shot on a F&W area and expect such.

Now, some folks count every bird hit as part of their "bag limit"...............others do not.
    Bag limit.................to me means "put in the bag".

IMHO you lose a couple, it sucks but is tolerable.
    Those that hit a bunch and can't find them, need to just golf.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some folks bust their arses to find a downed bird.....spend a lot of time/effort.
    Unfortunately I have seen some that half arse it at best, or don't even try.
    Even if shooting good, I go after em rather quickly to up the chances of recovery.
    This sometimes backfires.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hit one that made it to sunflowers. Went after it (no other birds flying around).
    Got to standing flowers and it took off.
    Had I waited 15 mins it might have dropped dead there.
    Oh well.
    It might still be flying around. Who knows.
    Never had this BS running lead.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well the boys we were to hunt with got likkered up Saturday night and couldn't make it...So me and my buddy went to our new property to explore the rock shelters.....This pic is to give scale to the cave we have cut out by the megaflood of the last ice age at the end of the Younger Dryas....

DmN5mb_XcAI1wPn.jpg

DmN5mb_WwAAhKDr.jpg

DmN5mb8XgAA4LC1.jpg

I didn't get any doves but I did get about 100-150 turkey ticks on me...Because you see the field I was going to hunt was clear ground by a barn but getting to my property involved some brush busting...In shorts...I am covered and woozy as can be....Bastards.....

DmQaDuIXgAATyv3.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Well the boys we were to hunt with got likkered up Saturday night and couldn't make it...So me and my buddy went to our new property to explore the rock shelters.....This pic is to give scale to the cave we have cut out by the megaflood of the last ice age at the end of the Younger Dryas....

DmN5mb_XcAI1wPn.jpg

DmN5mb_WwAAhKDr.jpg

DmN5mb8XgAA4LC1.jpg

I didn't get any doves but I did get about 100-150 turkey ticks on me...Because you see the field I was going to hunt was clear ground by a barn but getting to my property involved some brush busting...In shorts...I am covered and woozy as can be....Bastards.....

DmQaDuIXgAATyv3.jpg

Ouch...That doesn't look good!!

Top Bottom