Looks like IN DNR amended their firearms laws for 2018?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was scoping out the rules and regs on the IN DNR website and I saw where they had mentioned they had amended their laws for 2018. I can only assume it was to clarify any misunderstandings on legal use of high powered rifle rounds for deer in IN.

Deer Regulations | Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations ? 2018 | eRegulations

The reason I was looking into it is because I wanted to confirm that I could use an AK47 in 7.62x39mm for deer hunting in Indiana this year on my own property so long as I have 10 rounds of ammunition on me or less. On my place I don't really have a lot of long shots available to me and I'd like to show non-hunters that a rifle like that has a viable reason for existence outside of military use.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Seems like a silly endeavor, but yes you can use your ak on deer on your property so long as it's not fmj.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Seems like a silly endeavor, but yes you can use your ak on deer on your property so long as it's not fmj.

Silly not to. Caliber is perfect for IN deer, excellent hunting loads are available and accuracy is more than adequate. When SKS rifles hit the US in bulk in the 1980s they were a very common hunting rifle in Kentucky.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Perhaps I was unclear, that's my fault.
    Shoot Dee with ever round legal, go for it. I'm hoping to take a deer with a mosin this year.

The silly endeavor is the " this 'military' rifle works on deer too, not just people"

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Perhaps I was unclear, that's my fault.
    Shoot Dee with ever round legal, go for it. I'm hoping to take a deer with a mosin this year.

The silly endeavor is the " this 'military' rifle works on deer too, not just people"

I agree, I've been successful with my 300blk ar15 hunting deer, and a 223ar for hogs. Whenever someone mentions hunting and the second amendment I cringe. The 2a has zero things to do with hunting, it has zero things to do with owning firearms for any other purpose than expressly permitting private ownership for militia purposes. Which has nothing to do with hunting. I make it somewhat of a crusade to enlighten people on that fact whenever I get the chance. Sure I can hunt, compete, and plink with my ak's and ar's, but that's not why the bill of rights says I can own them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Generally speaking, I try to educate friends/relatives/people on guns when the opportunity arises. The question I here more often then not is "why have XYZ gun you can't use it for (fill in the blank)". As a veteran I fully understand that the 2A wasn't about hunting and I've been happy to explain to people that I've also taken an AR-15 deer hunting and shown pictures from a hunt in Wisconsin. I was hoping to add a picture of deer hunting with an AK from Indiana to my list of slideshows in my phone. Not trying to hurt feelings or stir up drama, but just another way of hunting that I'd like to try. I don't see much difference between a 7.62x39mm and a 30-30 Winchester so I thought I'd give that a try this year to make the hunt unique. Sure, I have more powerful, more accurate guns that would be hard to argue against as a more accurate gun. Then again, we can argue amongst ourselves as bow hunters, pistol hunters, muzzleloader hunters and rifle hunters all day long and I'm really not trying to stir that childish drama up. If I take an AK hunting this year, it'd be for a 125 yard or less shot, so I'm not all that worried about it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Indiana Hunting Laws: from the same people who gave us Indiana Liquor Laws :laugh:

Rick45Colt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Franklin
    Did anyone notice the change on page 25 of the regulations. It says State law also legalizes a handgun thatfires the 10mm Auto and 40 Smith & Wessoncartridge.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    While we are talking about hunting laws can I toss a couple questions in? If my questions will only lead to high jacking I'm happy to make a new thread....

1: hunting you are only allowed to have 10 rounds...
    Does that mean I can only have 10 rounds for my hunting rifle, and the rounds in my pistol don't count? Or can I only have 10 rounds period?

2: let's say I am hunting with a 44 mag and my pal is hunting with a 30-06. Can I have 10 44 mag rounds and 10 30-06, while my pal carries 10 30-06 and 10 44 mag?

Now I know ow when meet hunting g you shouldnt need more than 10 rounds if your a good shot etc etc. But what if hunting turns into general shooting bc there are no deer to be found.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    As I understood the law, you are limited to 10 rounds for your “high powered rifle.” You’re allowed to carry as many pistol rounds as you like.

Thats one advantage to using an AR pistol. No danger of getting a ticket just because you had an eleventh round jumbling around in your pack.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    So 40s&w is powerful enough to take a deer but not 9mm or 45acp. I agree with that... :popcorn:

Well, any of the three are better choices than .410 slugs but the intent behind the rule change was to allow 10mms for hunting and not being gun people they went ahead with all .40 calibers.

Top Bottom