• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I posted this before and didn't get many replies so I thought I would try again. I will be hunting a new area this year in Greene County that is remote. I already found a stand on the property that the guy we bought it from said wasn't his.

I am anticipating running into trespassers and like to carry my glock when hunting. One year I walked into the woods and started climbing into my stand when a guy said hey bud what are you doing. Some jerk was using my stand and attempted to say he had rights to hunt the property for years...

For bow season its not as bad since i dont have as much cold weather gear on. I can usually get by with my OWB. When I start piling on my bibs is when its an issue of access.

Even when its gun season I still like the 17 round glock vs the bolt action for piece of mind.

Anyone have a solution to get their carry gun up on their chest? I see Alien Gear has a new backpack holster. Anyone tried it yet.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What about one of those tactical vests that have the place for a holster on the chest?

It doesn't sound like you want a shoulder holster, which I have for my .45 colt Blackhawk, since it isn't on your chest.

Having said that, I have never worried about carrying a SD handgun when I am carrying my shotgun/rifle out in the woods.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I hunt out of a climber most of the time which doesn't work real well with a handgun in a belt holster because it tends to catch on the stand upon trying to stand up so I've gotten in the habit of moving my handgun and holster from my belt to a chest or front pocket on my jacket/coat when I get to my stand. As for carrying the handgun while I'm walking to my stand, I have a long walk and tend to work up a sweat so I wear only light clothes for the walk in, then I put my heavy clothes on once I get to my stand. Since I don't put the heavy clothes on until I'm at my stand, I have no problem reaching my handgun on my belt if need be on the walk in.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I use a Huckleberry rig when I wear waders in our swamp in case I come across cottonmouths. The Huckleberry rig puts the pistol on the front of your chest making access easy. Most of the ones I saw advertised were pricey so I just made my own from a nylon holster and webbing I had around. It's not like its my EDC.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I use a Huckleberry rig when I wear waders in our swamp in case I come across cottonmouths. The Huckleberry rig puts the pistol on the front of your chest making access easy. Most of the ones I saw advertised were pricey so I just made my own from a nylon holster and webbing I had around. It's not like its my EDC.

I saw the Kanai Chest Rig online and that would be perfect but man 150.00

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I use to carry my 1911 in a tanker style holster, over my coveralls. The Glock is a good choice, 17 rds is impressive. I also had a WW2 mag pouch threaded on the strap, so 2 spare 7rd mags available. If the rain was falling my poncho did cover me, but access to the 1911 was tough. Just saying weather can deal a tough hand in the deer stand. Good luck.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I’ve used a Guide’s Choice chest rig, but recently upgraded to a Glock 29 in a Kenai chest rig. I’m very impressed by that one.

I also run a Ruger Redhawk in a regular old western rig (the belt is a little large so it fits over my bibs.)

We’ve had similar problems with poachers and meth heads on a couple of our farms. One poacher was bold enough to punch a smaller female hunter that confronted him, breaking her nose. I wish she would have shot the guy.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Ever try shouldering a rifle with all kinds of interference from gear and being confined in a small space in a stand?
    Don't make the rookie mistakes of not trying out all your gear in simulated hunting situations.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Yeah but if you walk up on 2-3 guys cooking meth by accident you could find yourself wishing you had the semi auto capability.

Prob would never happen but I like to be prepared.

Guys cooking meth are lazy and aren't likely to be too far off the road. It's probably more likely a neighbor would be cooking it in his shed if much of that is even going on now. I'm thinking most of it is being brought in from out of the country now.

Trespassers that are used to the owner not being around and think the land is theirs are the biggest problem as you have found. I had a couple on horse back start yelling at me for target shooting on my land as they rode by on the road. They were pissed that I was there and they would have to take the long way home...the hoof prints and horse sh*t on my trails made it clear that they had trespassed to get to where they were coming from. Accused me of being a bambi killer...I was in full gear practicing for a service rifle match.

Get used to it if you don't live on the land.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I have a Kenai chest holster for my glock 40 & a additional shell for N frame s&w. It is handy and out of way while in stand. It can be worn outside or inside of coat. A little pricey, but worth it.

Wears nice while driving tractor too.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I posted this before and didn't get many replies so I thought I would try again. I will be hunting a new area this year in Greene County that is remote. I already found a stand on the property that the guy we bought it from said wasn't his.

I am anticipating running into trespassers and like to carry my glock when hunting. One year I walked into the woods and started climbing into my stand when a guy said hey bud what are you doing. Some jerk was using my stand and attempted to say he had rights to hunt the property for years...

For bow season its not as bad since i dont have as much cold weather gear on. I can usually get by with my OWB. When I start piling on my bibs is when its an issue of access.

Even when its gun season I still like the 17 round glock vs the bolt action for piece of mind.

Anyone have a solution to get their carry gun up on their chest? I see Alien Gear has a new backpack holster. Anyone tried it yet.

what part of Greene county did you buy the land?......we might be neighbors...:)

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Kenai chest holster. Comfortable, accessible and secure. I have a gp100 shell and an N frame shell. I wear mine at least three days a week while working on my property. They are not cheap, but it has held up great, no regrets.

Top Bottom