• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Last Friday my wife and I decided to boat on Geist and do a little fishing. We’d gradually made our way to the very westernmost end of the reservoir literally as far from the launch point as possible and quite a distance from the marina. A long story as to why I pulled a boneheaded move, but suffice to say I ran the boat out of gas.

I started to use the trolling motor to try and make my way to the marina but it was going to take a LONG time to get there even if the trolling motor battery did hold out. After making a little slow but steady progress I noticed what appeared to be an “officially” marked boat and flagged it down. It turned out to be an Indiana Conservation Officer. I explained my problem and asked if he could give me a tow to the marina so I could gas up. His reply was pretty much “That would take about half an hour to tow you there and if I got an emergency call I would be delayed going to it. Because you have a trolling motor you don’t have an emergency” and he put his boat in gear and drove off.

At the time I was embarrassed and mad at myself about doing something so stupid I didn’t think to ask the C.O. any questions. Afterwards, I had time to reflect a little about what had just happened and concluded the C.O. could have:

1. Given me a tow. If he received a call, he could have cut me loose and been on his way, or

2. Offered to give me the phone number for the local marina to enable me to call to see if they could provide “waterside” assistance.

Later, I decided I wished I would have asked the C.O. for his name and badge number if only to know who he was. Luckily, a kind hearted boater came by shortly after the C.O. left and towed me to the marina.

I’m wondering if I’m out of line in feeling like the C.O. should have been more of a “public servant” or it is SOP for a C.O. to decline to offer assistance to boaters in this type of circumstance ?

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Should have definately helped or arranged for help-what if you or your wife had a medical emergency after he left you?Every ICO I've had contact with has been great,but I would call district headquarters and find out who was patrolling Geist that day and explain the situation.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    COs aren't responsible for irresponsible boaters unless they're a danger to others.
    Sorry about my response but you're responsible to keep your boat in running order.
    My starter battery died on Geist one day a few years back and I made it back to the docks from Admirals Point close to the dam on trolling motor.
    I didn't have enough tools with me to change batteries so I called it a day and went home and PREPARED better for my next trip. ( I knew my battery was getting weak but still pulled a boner and went on the water anyway.)
    NO, COs are like water cops. It would have been nice but no obligation to help out.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    IMO While there is no legal responsibility, public servants do have an obligation to render assistance in circumstances like this. Your job doesn’t exist in a vacuum, it exists because the public created it and pays you to do it.

If law enforcement officers want the public to give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe some of them could take a slightly different attitude about how they interact with the public.

I have seen quite a few law abiding jurors who start out with a hard presumption against law enforcement because of how they were treated on the side of the road. A heart surgeon running to do documented emergency surgery who was kept on the side road for 20 minutes comes to mind.

I wouldn’t hesitate to call and make your feelings known to the district supervisor up there.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    His point about the trolling motor is valid, you have the propulsionlsion even if it is slow.

Did you make it to the marina on the trolling?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    COs aren't responsible for irresponsible boaters unless they're a danger to others.
    Sorry about my response but you're responsible to keep your boat in running order.
    My starter battery died on Geist one day a few years back and I made it back to the docks from Admirals Point close to the dam on trolling motor.
    I didn't have enough tools with me to change batteries so I called it a day and went home and PREPARED better for my next trip. ( I knew my battery was getting weak but still pulled a boner and went on the water anyway.)
    NO, COs are like water cops. It would have been nice but no obligation to help out.

I think what was frustrating was the whole demeanor of the C.O. He didn’t even pull up alongside my boat to engage in a conversation but rather remained 20-30 yards away. The interaction, or lack there off, probably took less than a few minutes. I would guess less in duration than it took me to type the original post above ( and I’m a two handed typer )

My wife and I both had cell phones and I suspect he may have had one of his own. I had no idea what the phone number of the marina was and in my frustrated state of mind I didn’t even think of trying to Google information to see if I could bring something up. Perhaps if he’d suggested I call the marina and given me a phone number he would have seemed less indifferent. Or, perhaps, said that he would contact the marina and ask them to come to my aid. I wasn’t asking for him to go purchase gas and bring it to me. On the whole, I felt as if he didn’t want to be bothered. At the least he could have feigned interest.

I worked as a firefighter and an EMT, albeit on a volunteer department, for over 20 years. I can recall more than one instance when returning from an EMS or fire run when we stopped the engine or the squad to inquire if an apparent stranded motorist needed assistance. My wife and I are both in our sixties - I actually wondered if the C.O. had come up on a boat full of female 20 year olds in bikinis who were out of gas if his reaction would have been the same. I fully understand that the C.O. was not “obligated.” I wasn’t asking him to be “responsible” for me. I guess I was just expecting a little better interaction.

Would it have made a difference if I told you the fuel gauge wasn’t operating properly (?) It’s virtually impossible to measure the gas tank level with a stick in my boat - I was trusting the gauge was reasonably accurate. And, yes, perhaps I should have topped off the tank before venturing out on the water. However, as it is getting close to the end of the boating season I didn’t want to fill the tank completely and then end up wih quite a bit of gas left in the tank over the winter. Upon further reflection I was glad I wasn’t out by myself at the far end of Lake of the Woods 20 miles from camp with no cell service. Perhaps the next time I venture out on Geist, or even Eagle Creek, reservoirs I should be prepared with extra gas, a complete mechanic’s tool set and engine overhaul manual, a flare gun, firewood, emergency radiant heat blanket, glow sticks, waterproof matches, and a condensed survival guide.

Not trying to be argumentative, well maybe a little, but the more I thought about it the more the whole episode just left a bad taste in my mouth. Not everyone can be completely self sufficient all the time. We’ve all done dumb stuff in the past or found ourselves in a predicament whether our fault or not. If I’d have been stuck in a snow drift on the side of the road and I was able to flag down a cop who wasn’t running signal 10 to an emergency I would expect more than a “Hey, i don’t have time to mess with you, if you’ve got a shovel to dig your way out by next spring you’re on your own.” That may not be a great analogy, but it seems close to the response I was given.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I think what was frustrating was the whole demeanor of the C.O. He didnÂ’t even pull up alongside my boat but rather remained 20-30 yards away. The interaction, or lack there off, probably took less than a few minutes. I would guess less in duration than it took me to type the original post above ( and IÂ’m a two handed typer )

My wife and I both had cell phones and I suspect he may have had one of his own. I had no idea what the phone number of the marina was and in my frustrated state of mind I didnÂ’t even think of trying to Google information to see if I could bring something up. Perhaps if heÂ’d suggested I call the marina and given me a phone number it would have seemed less indifferent. Or, perhaps, said that he would contact the marina and ask them to come to my aid. I wasnÂ’t asking for him to go purchase gas and bring it to me. On the whole, I felt as if he didnÂ’t want to be bothered. At the least he could have feigned interest.

I worked as a firefighter and an EMT, albeit on a volunteer department, for over 20 years. I can recall more than one instance when returning from an EMS or fire run when we stopped the engine or the squad to inquire if an apparent stranded motorist needed assistance. My wife and I are both in our sixties - I actually wondered if the C.O. had come up on a boat full of female 20 year olds in bikinis who were out of gas if his reaction would have the same. I fully understand that the C.O. was not “obligated.” I further wasn’t asking him to be “responsible” for me. I guess I was just expecting a little better interaction.

Would it have made a difference if I said the fuel gauge wasnÂ’t operating properly (?) ItÂ’s virtually impossible to measure the gas tank level with a stick in my boat - I was trusting the gauge was reasonably accurate. Yes, perhaps I should have topped it off before venturing out on the water. However, as it is getting close to the end of the boating season I didnÂ’t want to fill the tank completely and then end up wih quite a bit of gas left in the tank over the winter. In further reflection I was glad I wasnÂ’t out by myself at the far end of Lake of the Woods 20 miles from camp with no cell service. Perhaps the next time I venture out on Geist, or even Eagle Creek, reservoirs I should be prepared with extra gas, a complete mechanicÂ’s tool set and engine overhaul manual, a flare gun, firewood, emergency radiant heat blanket, glow sticks, waterproof matches, and a condensed survival guide.

Not trying to be argumentative, well maybe a little, but the more I thought about it the more the whole episode just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I understand 100% the way you feel about it. I'd feel the same way you do. I haven't met many friendly COs in my day either.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    He could have not wanted to be bothered, he could have been told by his brass to not to. I don't know anything about boats, but I'd figure there's some possibility of damage towing one. We've got forms if you just want to give someone a ride in a police car in case you crash.

Liability motivates a lot of decisions. Lock out assistance being a good example. Fewer and fewer departments assist with car lockouts unless there's a kid inside or something. Scratch a car, you are on the hook for it.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    His point about the trolling motor is valid, you have the propulsionlsion even if it is slow.

Did you make it to the marina on the trolling?

I didnt disagree with his observation or comment. On the flip side, had he said “Sorry about you running out of gas. Seems like your trolling motor is working okay and I think you can make it to the marina although it will be kinda slow.” Or “hey, tough luck about running out of gas, do you have the phone number of the marina ? No ? Well then let me give it to you.”

Instead I pretty much got a “out of gas and you said your trolling motor is working ? Guess you’re on your own.”

As far as getting to the marina, very shortly after the C.O. Left I was able to flag down a very kind hearted man and his wife ( I’d say in their sixties ) who grasciouslly agreed to pull me in and refused to take the $20 I offered them to pay for their gas and their assistance.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    He could have not wanted to be bothered, he could have been told by his brass to not to. I don't know anything about boats, but I'd figure there's some possibility of damage towing one. We've got forms if you just want to give someone a ride in a police car in case you crash.

Liability motivates a lot of decisions. Lock out assistance being a good example. Fewer and fewer departments assist with car lockouts unless there's a kid inside or something. Scratch a car, you are on the hook for it.

Not sure I can rationalize your anecdote about requiring a signed waiver to give someone a ride in a police car but there are certainly a lot of possibilities. As mentioned, I was involved in public service agencies for over two decades. If I had required a release form every time someone needed assistance outside the call for an emergency run I think I would have quit volunteering. I’m not trying to turn this into a “protect and SERVE” debate. I was expecting a little common courtesy. In this case I don’t believe I got it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "sue happy" people.

People sue.
    Then people don't want to help.

The problem is, then people legitimately needing help, don't get it.

More and more people suing.
    More and more forms to fill out, and more and more "cover your ass".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just to be sure... I'm NOT saying you are "sue happy".

I'm talking about others.

You are suffering because of those people.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Sorry o don't mean to pile on here but this is on you. If your car ran out of gas would you expect a police officer to pull you in with thier police car?

You had a working motor and a phone. You had more than enough resources to correct your mistake.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Sorry o don't mean to pile on here but this is on you. If your car ran out of gas would you expect a police officer to pull you in with thier police car?

You had a working motor and a phone. You had more than enough resources to correct your mistake.

Some folks just seem to be full of the milk of human kindness. Would I expect a P.O. to pull me in if I ran out of gas in my car. No I would not. On the other hand, I think I would hope that he would offer a suggestion or two if I didnÂ’t know where the nearest gas station was. Poor analogy but as good as yours.

If I had a flat tire on my car and the spare turned out to be flat I wouldnÂ’t expect police officer to go get me another tire. But I might ask him about the nearest service station and he might offer a suggestion or two about how to get assistance.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just learn from your screw up and hope it doesn't happen in a SHTF situation.
    You got LUCKY it was just a dumb minor mistake this time.
    Water is a dangerous place for 2 legged folks if you don't respect it.

Top Bottom