Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshakeed View Post
    The belt of the pack rests on the gun if I wear it on my hip, or the pack covers it if I wear it on my back. Makes it hard to draw, and is uncomfortable. Over belly or chest are the best options.
    Derf..of course it does.

I didn't even think about the hip belt.

A buddy of mine does have a Hill People chest rig, and he's very happy with it.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Plinker

User Info Menu

When I go hiking (deer skouting) I open carry with a OWB holster with good retention. I never open carry in public, but when I'm out in the woods that seems like the most comfortable option.

User Info Menu

Kenai chest rig is hard to beat. They are pricey tho. Available on Amazon and flebay.
    Due to the high cost of ammo, don't expect a warning shot!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Kenai chest holster. I have kydex for a G20 and a SW 686.

Mike

Plinker

User Info Menu

I live in Southern Indiana and backpack here and the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho with my nephew.
    I put on a sling style TacPac under my backpack and wiggle it to where its accessible and convenient. This also gives me a utility pack as well.
    Here around home, I have too many firearms to limit to one carry piece. West of the Mississippi, a Glock model 20 (10mm, 6 barrel) and 3 mags. This gives me 46 rounds to dispel or dispatch man or beast.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I found out the hard way about the waist strap pushing on the OWB holster...... I am also looking for options. I don't like the idea of the chest rigs just adding another strap going over my shoulders.. I do like the idea of mounting a holster to the hip strap of the backpack though.

User Info Menu

Hill People Gear Kit Bag, reasonably priced, very comfortable under a pack, and large enough for some basic survival items as well, should you be separated from your main pack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    Hill People Gear Kit Bag, reasonably priced, very comfortable under a pack, and large enough for some basic survival items as well, should you be separated from your main pack.
    This, it helps to even some weight.
    Jay/lonehoosier INGOer #14,649

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    IF they concealed their contempt as well as they concealed their handgun, it would be a much more meaningful conversation.
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cg21 View Post
    I found out the hard way about the waist strap pushing on the OWB holster...... I am also looking for options. I don't like the idea of the chest rigs just adding another strap going over my shoulders.. I do like the idea of mounting a holster to the hip strap of the backpack though.
    I always carry when I'm trail walking, and I have a hip pack with an internal holster that I made from sewing a piece of wide elastic to the back of the pack in the right shape to safely and securely retain my Shield. I also always have other gear in the pack, in front of the gun, but with a larger para-cord loop on one zipper tab, I can unzip and get my gun out pretty quick.

I also do a good bit of back-packing, and my current pack is a ULA Catalyst. It has two zipper pockets, one on each side of the waist belt, and I was going to sew a similar piece of elastic fabric or kydex inside one of those, but they really aren't big enough. I think what I may do is to just fasten a kydex holster to either the waistbelt or maybe on one of the shoulder straps, like for OC, but then to sew up a fake nylon Pouch that would cover the gun, but held on with velcro that could be easily pulled open. With a lot of things like this, I find that it's way better to DIY so that you end up with something perfectly tailored to your needs.

Also, where are your favorite backpacking trails?
    My son and I have hiked the Two Lakes Loop near Tell City a couple of times, a moderate 17 mile loop that's mostly nice, except for some ugly clear cuts. It was a good first overnight hike for me a couple years ago.

We've hiked pretty much all of the trails in the Deem Wilderness in three different trips. I like Deem, but the peninsula camp sites get filled up early on weekends. I rather prefer the back-woods camp sites in Deem. I enjoyed Deem and will probably go back sometime.

My favorite hiking place, so far, has been Red River Gorge in Kentucky. It has really beautiful scenery, and some pretty rugged trails. There are supposed to be black bears down there, but we didn't see any. I was especially glad to have my gun on the two multi-day hikes that we did there. I've hiked most of the marked trails there, but I really want to go back sometime.

I saw online that IDNR has connected the Tecumseh trail in Indiana with the Knobstone trail, to make one trail over 100 miles long. I plan to find out more about that, and I'd like to try to work out a week long through-hike of that new trail next spring.
    No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Also, where are your favorite backpacking trails?
    I have done both the Knobstone and part of Tecumseh, that's exciting to hear they are connected now. The Knobstone was tough, constant up and down, almost as tough as as hiking in and out of the Grand Canyon. I've heard people say it is really good practice for the AT, which I have no desire to do.
    I've actually never carried backpacking. Very hard to figure out how to carry it tactically. I always intend to and then I want to save that two pounds so I ditch the gun. Once in Grand Staircase/Escalante as we walked up a slot canyon following bear tracks was really regretting not having a gun, we didn't sleep well that night. He was somewhere in that canyon with us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast