Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Backpacking and carry

Any of you all backpack? Do you carry when you backpack? If so, how? I currently pack in the side belt pocket, and that does not give me a speedy extraction of my gun.

Also, where are your favorite backpacking trails?

Expert

User Info Menu

What about just using a holster like normal?

Open carry is acceptable under some circumstances. In my book, that is one such example, hiking snowflakes be damned.

I think a positive retention holster is a good idea for several reasons.
    Last edited by natdscott; 09-12-2018 at 10:29.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

I hike in many locations (US and elsewhere). Southern IN, KY, TN, NC, WV, and MI are some of my favorites. When in the states (excluding brown bear territory), I use a Hill People Gear Runner's Kit Bag.

Here's a link to the bag...be sure to watch the video at the end of the page to see proper firearm draw.
    https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../1/ProductID/2

This option puts the firearm right at my chest and keeps my back and waist clear for a backpack. This bag accommodates my Glock 26, Glock 23 (barely), or my S&W 442. I use a kydex trigger guard (tied to the bottom of the bag, so that it is removed during my draw) on the Glocks and a pocket holster on the S&W to protect the trigger while in the bag. With this setup, I can rip the bag zipper open with my left hand and withdraw the gun with my right very quickly. If you position the two zippers at the upper right corner of the bag, it makes it easy to open one-handed.

If you want something bigger, choose their Original Kit Bag. For brown bear country, I just keep a S&W .44 mag in a hip holster and deal with the inconvenience.

Here's a fun trail in IN. It's a good preparation trail for the AT (Appalachian trail), if you're considering hiking that. You can just do day hikes on it, overnights, or do the whole thing over a few days. Caching water is necessary and takes a bit of planning, but totally worth it imo.
    https://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/4275.htm
    Last edited by hammerd13; 09-12-2018 at 11:53.
    ďThe most deadly thing on a battlefield is one well-aimed shot.Ē ó Sgt. Carlos Hathcock

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    What about just using a holster like normal?

Open carry is acceptable under some circumstances. In my book, that is one such example, hiking snowflakes be damned.

I think a positive retention holster is a good idea for several reasons.
    The belt of the pack rests on the gun if I wear it on my hip, or the pack covers it if I wear it on my back. Makes it hard to draw, and is uncomfortable. Over belly or chest are the best options.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshakeed View Post
    The belt of the pack rests on the gun if I wear it on my hip, or the pack covers it if I wear it on my back. Makes it hard to draw, and is uncomfortable. Over belly or chest are the best options.
    A vertical shoulder holster or a horizontal-chest holster should work

User Info Menu

Anything that goes over the shoulder or around the waist will interfere with proper backpack placement. I usually carry in a pack pocket, but I use a pack from the 1970s. Look for a belt that has padding attached to the belt with loops and not sewn directly into the belt, or only sewn on in places with space between. Then you can use the belt outside the padding to attach a holster, probably a clip-on type. Expect to hit you elbow on your grip frequently, depending on holster placement, your hiking style and whether you use trekking poles.

As for packing:
    Locally (midwest) - Deam Wilderness, Zaleski State Forest, Knobstone
    Our of area - Anything AT, North Country Trail (especially the Painted Rocks area). Saw several hikers OC on the NCT.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

ďThere's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.Ē - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

I carry my G20 in a Kenai rig. It's pretty comfortable and really easy and quick to get to.
    negative ghost rider, the pattern is full.

User Info Menu

My Hill People Gear Heavy Recon kit bag just arrived yesterday. I loaded it up and took it out for a couple miles to see how it felt.

For its purpose, I donít know of anything better. It is well built, but not overbuilt so as to be thick and bulky. Itís also designed well and doesnít have unnecessary crap that you feel like you need to cut off or maneuver. I loaded up a Glock 22 in a Maxpedition Velcro wrap holster in the rear compartment. In the front compartment I added a Maxpedition triple loop piece carrying a spare magazine, Leatherman, and bug spray. Then I added in my wallet, cell phone, and keys. Even with the larger pack, there wasnít room for much else without making it feel overstuffed. I may add a disposable poncho and a granola bar for the next hike. Weight or comfort werenít an issue and I liked having easy access to items.

If you were doing a loop around a state park, you probably could make this the only thing you carry. You could conveniently carry items without crap dangling off your belt or stuffed in pockets. You could also carry a pistol without scaring the more civilized types you run across. For hunting or longer hikes off the beaten path, itís a great complement to a main pack. It would keep important gear right up front without snagging on anything.
    'Til that time I will remain, 'til the sinners lay down with the saints.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanBob View Post
    I carry my G20 in a Kenai rig. It's pretty comfortable and really easy and quick to get to.
    This. Iíve gone through multiple backpacking holsters. Guides Choice isnít a bad option, but I like the Kenai better.

If open carry is an issue, pocket carry is my go to. Not my favorite, but it keeps it below the pack waist belt and is comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by theweakerbrother View Post
    Freedom is dangerous and I prefer it that way.

Ark

User Info Menu

The only pack I own with a waist belt rides higher than the pants belt and clears holsters easily. Safariland mid-ride belt adapter might also be a good solution for lower-riding pack belts.

Open carry is legal and IMO completely acceptable when you're out in the woods. It's the woods, you should be accustomed to seeing people with guns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast