• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So the dates of the 2018 are Nov 17-Dec 2.

In years past the season ended on Thanksgiving weekend. This is the second year that the season has ended the weekend following thanksgiving.

I remember the "backlash" a few years back during public comments when the DNR was talking about changing up the seasons. And now it seems they have quietly pushed the firearms season out a week to stay.

Much to the joy of the bowhunters, I'm sure. Who have been wanting the rut all to themselves for a long time.

Or am I reading too much into this?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Season has for years(decades?) started the first Saturday after the 11th of November. This puts Thanksgiving at the end of the season some years and in the middle of the season some years.
    No conspiracy going on.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    The season has followed the same format for YEARS. No conspiracy by anyone.

Straight out of Indiana Code ... (e) The firearms deer season is from the first Saturday after November 11 and continues for an additional fifteen (15) days.

The start date and it's relationship to Thanksgiving weekend is all dependent on how the calendar year falls. No black helicopters.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thats the great thing about me hunting with a bow and having property in the reduction zone. My season starts Saturday(Sept. 15th) and runs thru January 31st

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'm a bow hunter, didn't realize that made me guilty of something.
    +

hehehe...

If it's deer you want, hunt hard, regardless of season. It's like fishing: if the line isn't in the water a whole lot more than it sits in the reel, you are a fish-gossip and/or drunk, you are not a fisherman.

Having a lot of success in hunting has a lot to do with spending a lot of hours hunting, practicing hunting, studying hunting, researching hunting, and making any-and-all sacrifices that have to be made to get that done.

-Nate

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I don't know why firearm can't start on a "Saturday, November 11" like last year? Kentucky started theirs that day last year. We had to wait a week. I also bow hunt but I also like my gun hunting too.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I don't know why firearm can't start on a "Saturday, November 11" like last year? Kentucky started theirs that day last year. We had to wait a week. I also bow hunt but I also like my gun hunting too.

Because it has been the law as written in the Indiana Code for years ... I know tough to understand that black and white ...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm not sure which is more comical, that everything, even a state code that has been in place for decades, is part of some conspiracy or that the 5 or 6 days makes any real difference for the start of firearms season. Firearms season doesn't start until 11/26 for Ohio, 11/30 for Iowa, 11/16 for Illinois (starts on a Friday with a total of only 7 days split between two seasons), and on 11/15 for Michigan which is a Thursday. While the firearms hunters in all of those states seem to do very well, somehow in Indiana hunters cannot deal with a 5-6 day swing in a season that is already on the early end for midwestern states.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'm not sure which is more comical, that everything, even a state code that has been in place for decades, is part of some conspiracy or that the 5 or 6 days makes any real difference for the start of firearms season. Firearms season doesn't start until 11/26 for Ohio, 11/30 for Iowa, 11/16 for Illinois (starts on a Friday with a total of only 7 days split between two seasons), and on 11/15 for Michigan which is a Thursday. While the firearms hunters in all of those states seem to do very well, somehow in Indiana hunters cannot deal with a 5-6 day swing in a season that is already on the early end for midwestern states.

100%

Success is built on hours in the woods, or studying the woods, or studying the prey, or studying the weapon(s), and by knowing what is going on in the woods as much as possible. Then, when the opportunity presents itself, the shooter within every hunter has to be ready to make it count, and deliver one shot perfectly when it's hard to deliver.

Somewhere along the way, most guys just don't seem to get through enough of the above with flying colors, and minimize mistakes anywhere else, to have a lot of success.

Success is NOT built on the internet huffing/puffing about dates of the season. I've not shot deer on every day of the season, but assuredly from Early October through does shot literally the very last day in January, at last light. I view them all as a success.

Get practicing, get reading, get hunting, and prepare yourself for that 3 second window...because the dates of the season don't matter in those fleeting moments.

-Nate

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    100%

Success is built on hours in the woods, or studying the woods, or studying the prey, or studying the weapon(s), and by knowing what is going on in the woods as much as possible. Then, when the opportunity presents itself, the shooter within every hunter has to be ready to make it count, and deliver one shot perfectly when it's hard to deliver.

Somewhere along the way, most guys just don't seem to get through enough of the above with flying colors, and minimize mistakes anywhere else, to have a lot of success.

Success is NOT built on the internet huffing/puffing about dates of the season. I've not shot deer on every day of the season, but assuredly from Early October through does shot literally the very last day in January, at last light. I view them all as a success.

Get practicing, get reading, get hunting, and prepare yourself for that 3 second window...because the dates of the season don't matter in those fleeting moments.

-Nate

While not exactly the point I was trying to make, that is certainly the most productive and successful approach/mindset to adopt. My point was more along the lines of the greatly increased numbers of hunters in the woods on the first two days of firearms season induces a large amount of deer movement regardless of being timed perfectly with the rut or not.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    It baffles me year in and year out how fellow gun hunters think there is some great conspiracy by the bow hunters to float the start date to one group's advantage. Like I have posted, twice ... it has been law per the Indiana Code for a long time. It should shock no one that one year the season opens on say the 12th, yet another year it opens on say the 18th. It is all by the way the calendar falls. If you don't like it, write letters, send emails, voice your opinions, etc, to the men/women in suits down in Indy. But don't blame the bow hunters. Until then, dust of your long gun, do some scouting, and get out in the field or woods for opening weekend. Once that sun comes up on the Saturday gun opener, the deer will move regardless of what the calendar says.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO success doesn't come from simply logging a bunch of hours afield.
    You gotta be smart about it.

I wasted too many vacation days learning my old hunting spot sucked early season.
    But the lightbulb came on after a while.

Internet, TV shows, social media and other..............easy to get hyped up and screw things.
    Buddy and I stay out of our current spot until Oct 21st or so.
    Even then, sneak in/out and not hit it too hard.

I learned my old spot after a while.
    Got to where I put a deer in the freezer, one every 4 hunting days. Hunted only half days too.
    Sometimes had to move a stand a couple times to do it.

Our current spot produces deer. Used to be tough gig though.
    Because the neighbor guys hit it hard from Oct 1st on.

New owner next door, one guy hunts, is low impact.
    We've seen more and bigger bucks ever since the "hunt it hard" guys left.

Used to hunt opening day of bow, even when I knew it'd suck..........just for the ritual.
    Gave that nonsense up.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Never had the chance to take a deer with a bow. Have shot traditional bows for years. Think I will give it a go this year. Have my own property that I know intimately.

Been shooting a 50 lb trad bow, now I have an 80 lb Howard Hill. My own arrows of hickory shoot exceptionally well from it.

Maybe this year....

Don

Top Bottom