• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaygentry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2018
    Noblesville
    Taking a small group to idaho next year on a hunt. was hoping on some feedback. we started planning about 18 months out. A few of the poeple are taking awhile to get there first round of payments in. now remind you this is a group of friends. we are planning this far out so everyone can have time to save cash. the only expense we are trying to cover up front is the lodging. The cost of the trip, tags included is $1800.00. that includes their tags for deer, elk, wolf, but allows them to take a bear, and mountain lion as well, food, fuel, and lodging. Is asking for $250 toward the lodging to much to as 12 months out? just want to make sure we know who is serious about going. and the upfront cash allows us to get the gear on a discount during the off season. would love some good input.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't think you'd be out of line asking for $250 at all. Matter of fact, if they don't want to pony it up I'll take their place :).

In all seriousness, I'd like to hear more about where you're going. $1800 is extremely reasonable for the tags you're getting.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I think asking for $250 is entirely reasonable. A semi guided hunt for around that amount would require a bigger deposit and likely have to be booked much earlier for good dates. Have you researched your area thoroughly? I'm assuming over the counter tags, wolves have done a number on the deer and elk populations in some areas. Eastman's Hunting and Bowhunting Journal has a lot of information on hunting in most western states. Have you thought about how you are going to get the meat out for any downed animals?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    250 is no where near out of line. If they wont commit to that now, they are probably waiting until last minute to tell you they are not going. Everyone is all for these types of trip's until its time to walk outside in the cold.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    $250 down on an $1800 trip? I would think $500 wouldn't be too much to ask. Also make sure everyone knows the cancellation policy. They need to be aware of how much they stand to forfeit at what phase of the planning/buying. You don't want to get stuck paying your friend's bill because they backed out at the last minute and you can't get a refund.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If they can't come up with $250 with a reasonable amount of notice perhaps they can't afford the trip. Or maybe they haven't gotten their wife's permission.

If you have footdraggers now over $250 you better have some additional interim deposits as you go along so you know everyone has the full $1,800 of funds when the time comes to start driving west. You don't want to stop at the first gas station and find out Billy "forgot" his wallet.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    250 is no where near out of line. If they wont commit to that now, they are probably waiting until last minute to tell you they are not going. Everyone is all for these types of trip's until its time to walk outside in the cold.
    THIS.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    Where are you guys headed to in ID? Ive been out there several times for bears and bought plane tickets for April 2019. Taking my 14 year old son for the first time.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Sounds more than reasonable. Been on several west hunting trips. It takes a commitment. Monetary and personal. Up front money makes people take it seriously.

Top Bottom