Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: .458 socom?

Marksman

User Info Menu

.458 socom?

First off I see it is a legal cartridge in Indiana .. it is legal on public land correct? Also how is it as far as whitetail hunting ?

Really wanted a .300 blackout but a trade came along for this one and I donít want to miss out on a good deer rifle.

User Info Menu

Only legal on private land unless using it on a pistol platform. Same goes for the .300 blackout.
    "A man has three names: the name he inherits, the name his parents give him, and the name he makes for himself. A man may conquer a million men in battle but one who conquers himself is, indeed, the greatest of conquerors."

User Info Menu

458 socom is legal on public land in rifle platform. Just google indiana deer legal calibers or grab a hunting fishing guide from a local Wal-Mart. 458 socom was temporarily disallowed last year but changed it back right before rifle season. 458 will drop the deer in their tracks

User Info Menu

Here's a screenshot from the dnr hunting fishing guide regarding public property

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks where I was looking it didnít say public land cartridges.

User Info Menu

Click on link and scroll down to hunting equipment. It breaks down whats legal and where(public v/s private)

Deer Regulations | Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations ? 2018 | eRegulations

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks missed the last sentence that said public or private land for that list of calibers.

Now that the legality is cleared up.
    how does everyone feel about the cartridge itself for deer hunting?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cg21 View Post
    Thanks missed the last sentence that said public or private land for that list of calibers.

If you get a shot at a deer with a 458 SOCOM, and the deer does not die right away as a result, you will not be able to blame the caliber. When the bullet is placed correctly the deer will fold. Like any other caliber if the bullet is placed incorrectly, it will not work.

The 458 SOCOM is a fine (arguably the best) Indiana whitetail round.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
    If you get a shot at a deer with a 458 SOCOM, and the deer does not die right away as a result, you will not be able to blame the caliber. When the bullet is placed correctly the deer will fold. Like any other caliber if the bullet is placed incorrectly, it will not work.

The 458 SOCOM is a fine (arguably the best) Indiana whitetail round.
    Exactly. Shot placement is everything. I hunted with 458 for 2 years. Took 2 shots over those 2 years and got 2 deer. First maybe got 15ft after the shot. 2nd dropped on the spot. Great round for deer.
    Only reason i quit using it is beacuse the public lands near me have been overrun by inconsiderate hunters. I now have private land, but its within city limits, so i hunt with a crossbow now.
    Only bad thing about the 458 is ammo cost and availability

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cg21 View Post

The 458 SOCOM Is a fun to shoot cartridge in the AR platform. The recoil is moderately heavy by AR standards and factory ammunition is expensive. It delivers acceptable accuracy and good energy for deer hunting. This along with the large bore hole increases kill efficiency with adequate placement. Reloading helps the cost but has some unique quirks in this round. CAB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast