Whitetail management question (doe with horns)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have no clue how to post pictures on here. I have pictures of a doe with fawn from 3 years ago. The doe was a fork horn. Nothing for a few years, then this year, I have a doe (funky looking 5 point non typical) in the exact same place with no fawn. I cant say for certain its the same animal, but doe's with horn's are not everywhere, so it would stand to reason it is.

My question. From a management standpoint what do I do with her? On one hand, her hormones are way out of check, which cant be good. On the other hand, if the doe passes down extra antler growing potential, thats a good thing.

Thoughts?

If someone wants to send me a text and post the pic here, Id be more than happy to send it.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I recently read an article in a hunting magazine about more and more does being seem with antlers (I think there were multiple in one area of Wisconsin) . If I recall the article mentioned that it was a hormone/mineral imbalance and had nothing to do with genetics. Compared it to the mineral/hormone spikes being found in some humans that are causing larger kids and such. Can't think of the magazine... but I'll try and search around and find it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    RW4ALSc.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    IMO, from a management standpoint you would want to treat her like any other doe, if you have the opportunity and it works with your management goals then take her. The problem is that it is technically an antlered deer and should be checked in accordingly. However, if you have a good relationship with your local COs I would imagine there is a good chance they will write you a special tag for it so you don't have to burn your buck tag. It would probably be a good idea to discuss that with them beforehand though.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    IMO, from a management standpoint you would want to treat her like any other doe, if you have the opportunity and it works with your management goals then take her. The problem is that it is technically an antlered deer and should be checked in accordingly. However, if you have a good relationship with your local COs I would imagine there is a good chance they will write you a special tag for it so you don't have to burn your buck tag. It would probably be a good idea to discuss that with them beforehand though.
    Nice thought, but I have a quarter that says an antlered deer is an antlered deer. No special dispensation allowed.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I'm not to worried about the tag. I've very picky on the bucks Ill shoot, and use does to fill the freezer. I'm yet to see a pic of a buck that I would shoot. In 30 years of hunting I've killed 4 or 5 bucks.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It has happened a few times that I know of but yes, that is why I mentioned having a good relationship with the local CO.:D

Looking forward to just that type of relationship.
    I recently acquired 50 wooded acres in southern Fountain county.
    I called the DNR officer in charge of the area and set up a meet on our new property.
    He offered to meet us and discuss how we wanted to manage the property.

I called him because I thought it might be a good idea to introduce myself to the local officer since I'm not local to the area.
    The last thing I wanted was to have him drop by mid-season and have to prove that I do in fact own the property.
    I thought it would be easier all around if we talked face-to-face before the season starts.

Supposed to meet him next week.
    I'm looking forward to it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looking forward to just that type of relationship.
    I recently acquired 50 wooded acres in southern Fountain county.
    I called the DNR officer in charge of the area and set up a meet on our new property.
    He offered to meet us and discuss how we wanted to manage the property.

I called him because I thought it might be a good idea to introduce myself to the local officer since I'm not local to the area.
    The last thing I wanted was to have him drop by mid-season and have to prove that I do in fact own the property.
    I thought it would be easier all around if we talked face-to-face before the season starts.

Supposed to meet him next week.
    I'm looking forward to it.

Sounds like a good idea.:yesway:

Top Bottom