• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Haven't seen a thread started yet. Cold weather coming have anyone else excited? I haven't had much time to get ready but I'll at least get out Sunday. Good luck.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm excited about this years season.
    I don't bow hunt much, but I might trt changing that this year.

In years past I've been leery to spend too much time in the woods during the archery season.
    My bow skills are not the best, and I have had a limited area to hunt, until now.

I've hunted Tippecanoe County for almost 30 years, but the property is small.
    I now have 50 acres in southern Fountain County on top of the Tippecanoe property.
    Being in different counties, I now have two quotas I can fill with bonus county tags.

On top of that, I was also drawn for the reserved hunt at Prophetstown State park this year.
    If I stay with firearms season alone, it looks like I'll be able to take as many as 8 deer this year.

I'm seriously considering trying to improve my bow skills this year in Tippecanoe county and save Fountain County for firearms season.
    I have high hopes to fill my freezer this year, and my brothers freezer, and maybe a nieces freezer...

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I think its too warm in northwest indiana to be out in woods hunting,I went out to get deer stand from my area and got a TICK allready , waiting for a cool down.Put out one camera I have and will check it in a week.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shot my first deer in Tippecanoe county.......with bow.......33 yrs ago :)

While this weekend will be cool.............I keep my cool til Oct 21.

Have killed deer earlier in season.........but opportunities (for me) have always been greater later.
    Like pre rut and calling in deer.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am going to scratch the initial hunting itch tomorrow morning. I hope to hunt more this year than the previous two. I also got involved in a reduction hunt in a more urban area.

Good luck to everyone.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I called one in to me this morning only to find out it was a yearling. I'm more than happy to let her grow up before she has to worry about me again.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Got some venison so I am good. No one lets me hunt nor will anyone invite me to go with them.

Which is fine with me as long as I am able to get some venison for Christmas Dinner.:)

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I shot a doe back in September. One of my properties that I have been hunting for 25 or so years is now in one of the expanded reduction zones. I haven't made time to get out since though other than a couple sits during youth weekend with my daughter. She passed up a doe due to time constraints one morning.

[video=youtube;XIvWfe1UxHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIvWfe1UxHo[/video]

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    I’m heading out today to setup a stand, and hunting tomorrow. I would like to get into reduction zone hunts. I’m assuming those would be private land only at least where I am.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The 2018/2019 regs have me a little confused. So 1.16”-3.0” rifle cases are now limited to the private land during reduction zone, special antlerless, and youth. I noticed that the “specials” are all southern and the reduction really tightens the scope. Am I correct in reading that I can no longer use a 308 on private land outside those three liscense types?

Last edited:

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    The 2018/2019 regs have me a little confused. So 1.16”-3.0” rifle cases are now limited to the private land during reduction zone, special antlerless, and youth. I noticed that the “specials” are all southern and the reduction really tightens the scope. Am I correct in reading that I can no longer use a 308 on private land outside those three liscense types?

You can use .243 or bigger on private land only. If you have private land inside the reduction zones, and local ordinance allows it, you can use .243 or bigger. Public land is limited to .357 or bigger (pistol) calibers

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I’ll buzz through the PDF again. I couldn’t find anything stating that 1.16-3.0 and >.243 are allowed during firearms season. Just the mention that the law was amended this year to allow the above cartridges during the restrictive three zones and seasons.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I’ll buzz through the PDF again. I couldn’t find anything stating that 1.16-3.0 and >.243 are allowed during firearms season. Just the mention that the law was amended this year to allow the above cartridges during the restrictive three zones and seasons.

This is what I found on page 25 of the reg book (pg 27 on pdf verson).
    A State law that allowed certain rifle cartridgesto be used for deer hunting on privateland was amended earlier this year to clarifyrequirements. During the firearms, reductionzone from Nov. 17, 2018-Jan. 31, 2019 (inzones where local ordinances allow the use offirearms) youth seasons, and special antlerlessseason (where open), rifles that fire cartridgesmeeting the following requirements may beused to hunt deer on private land only:
    • The cartridge must have a minimum caselength of 1.16 inches and a maximum caselength of 3 inches.
    • The cartridge must fire a bullet with a minimumdiameter of .243 inches (same as 6 mm).
    • A hunter must not possess more than 10 ofthese cartridges while hunting deer.
    • Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Finally got out this evening for the first time. Saw what I wanted to see. 6 does came by just before last light. Seemed to be on the move. Kicked up something big on my way back in the dark.

Top Bottom