• ...and so much more!
  • Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    I’m new to hunting in NWI
    I’ve been to La Salle and willowslough a few times.
    Can anyone who bow hunts during deer season tell me what the hunting pressure is like?
    Are tree stands relatively safe to leave up for the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Those are good places, a lot of land, lowland , trees etc.I hunt JP and pressure isnt too bad, again a lot of land to hunt.But they are all good places.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    I went to check my camera last week about 10:00 p.m. and was covered in deer.
    Hopefully they come out during daylight.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also, I believe it's a regulation that if you leave a stand up on public land you must tag it with your contact info., name, address, and phone number.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    Also, I believe it's a regulation that if you leave a stand up on public land you must tag it with your contact info., name, address, and phone number.

Correct, name, address, phone number or DNR number

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    Those are good places, a lot of land, lowland , trees etc.I hunt JP and pressure isnt too bad, again a lot of land to hunt.But they are all good places.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]How’s the deer hunting in Jasper-Pulaski?[/FONT][/FONT]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IIRC stands can't be placed before a certain date, and must be removed by another date.
    I have seen them left yrs long at some F&W and other gov ground.
    They get confiscated eventually.
    Proly were stolen.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Years ago when I hunted public ground in Perry County a local hunting friend of mine and I went to check the stands we had put up two weeks previous and scout a little more since the leaves had dropped. Imagine our surprise while driving down the single lane road to stop a pickup coming out of that section of public ground with both of our stands in the back. The two young occupants of the truck said they had "found" the stands in the public forest and were inferring that it was finders keepers, missing out on both of our names and other info obviously etched into the ladder part of the stands. After some less than civil conversation, we made them put our stands in my friends truck and never hunted that area again. Get good locks and chains.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Years ago when I hunted public ground in Perry County a local hunting friend of mine and I went to check the stands we had put up two weeks previous and scout a little more since the leaves had dropped. Imagine our surprise while driving down the single lane road to stop a pickup coming out of that section of public ground with both of our stands in the back. The two young occupants of the truck said they had "found" the stands in the public forest and were inferring that it was finders keepers, missing out on both of our names and other info obviously etched into the ladder part of the stands. After some less than civil conversation, we made them put our stands in my friends truck and never hunted that area again. Get good locks and chains.

Seems like every state public hunting/shooting/fishing location has to have at least one "jack-wagon" as described above assigned to them.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI

That sucks, and pretty amazing that you caught them. I’m using a hang on stand that I will leave up and a tree stand cable lock. I’m hoping it gets left alone. Since I have climbing sticks I may just take them all with me to make the stand harder to get to, or leave the top one or two so I don’t have as much to carry in when hunting the stand.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Tree stands all over the place at LaSalle. It's comical.

I'll be walking the woods shooting squirrels with my scatter gun or from the boat while fishing.

Be sure your legal. Been patrolling harder this year. I've been stopped twice recently.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That sucks, and pretty amazing that you caught them. I’m using a hang on stand that I will leave up and a tree stand cable lock. I’m hoping it gets left alone. Since I have climbing sticks I may just take them all with me to make the stand harder to get to, or leave the top one or two so I don’t have as much to carry in when hunting the stand.

We were lucky. That Saturday had nice weather so we went to scout further, I guess those two guys thought the weather was nice for something else.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI

I'll be walking the woods shooting squirrels with my scatter gun or from the boat while fishing.

Be sure your legal. Been patrolling harder this year. I've been stopped twice recently.

Thanks, I make sure I do it right. I grew up hanging out with a game warden so I’ve seen what happens when laws are broken.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

Seems like all of them or most are set up for gun season only.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I can’t imagine how many hunters will be out there opening day.

Ya its nuts and sounds like a war zone. Everything from a .22lr to a howitzer going off. I gave it all up until this year decided to pop a few squirrels and spend some time hiking. Probably stay home and do some hand loading.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Ya its nuts and sounds like a war zone. Everything from a .22lr to a howitzer going off. I gave it all up until this year decided to pop a few squirrels and spend some time hiking. Probably stay home and do some hand loading.

wonder how it is on the weekdays? I don’t want to go out into a war zone but have a new .458 id like to try out

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    LaSalle seems to get a little more pressure just because it's smaller. But it's a nice place to hunt during archery season. Willow slough is big enough that you shouldn't have trouble getting finding a good spot. But at the Slough, it's always a good idea to have a couple of back-up stands for those days when someone else shows up a little too close than you'd prefer. It's going to happen once in a while.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom