Does anyone have experience in selling trading furs in Indiana, Michigan or Ohio

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll be looking for info. too.
    I'm hoping tp be able to knock down quite a few coyote this year, as well as a few raccoon, some fox...

I don't know where to look to sell either, but it shouldn't be that difficult to find a buyer.
    Finding a reputable one might be a challenge...

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    If you can find a local fur buyer, that is an excellent option. Many of the licensees on the DNR list are not actively buying fur, however. A local fur buyer will usually buy fur on the carcass which is a real advantage to those who don't want to invest in the equipment and skills needed to pelt, flesh, stretch and dry fur properly. Unfortunately, local fur buyers are few and far between anymore. I can't find one in my area.

A couple of other options are:

1. Ship to an international fur auction. NAFA and FHA are the big ones. pelts must be properly fleshed and dried.
    2. The Indiana State Trappers Association has an auction in January or February. You can sell pelts stretched and dried, skinned but not fleshed, or on the carcass. Several state licensed buyers will review and bid on your fur.
    3. Groenwald Fur and Wool has route drivers that come around and will buy fur on the carcass, green, or dried. They have routes and stops on their website. You can also ship fur to them and they wwill make you an offer and send a check if you accept or ship your fur back if you decline.

I know of someone in Lapel, IN who offers a service of fleshing and drying pelts for a fee if you are interested. He does great work and you can be sure your fur will be processed in a way which will get you the best possible price at auction. Sadly, the current prices for coon probably won't pay the cost of processing. But if you have coyote pelts to finish it may be well worth it to pay someone else to flesh and dry if you don't want to get involved in that yourself.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Back in the 70's as a teenager I used to work for a licensed fur buyer around Logansport. I skinned, scraped, stretched (on wood and wire form) and dried furs of all makes and models. One really has to know what they are doing or they can ruin a fur. Just putting it out there it may be worth it to have a professional do these steps if one is unfamiliar with the proper way. Most folks who sold to the buyer I worked for just sold on the carcass though. That old guy is passed on now though.

Top Bottom