Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Plinker

User Info Menu

You have a couple of options....(1)try once again to discuss it, (2) let it go, (3) you could hunt (squirrels??)at the frence line also, of the property but on your side

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MRockwell View Post
    Never thought I would have this problem, but now I do. I hunt on my parent's land, the woods is maybe 2 acres the rest is farm ground. Driving down the road yesterday, I saw a ground blind out in the middle of the field on the property to the North. Driving by this morning, the ground blind is gone. Driving by this afternoon, I saw that the blind was still on the property to the north, but was right next to the woods.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    It was close to dark when I took the picture, but the blind is to the left of the far right tree. It is right on the fence-row.

I did note that there is no orange on any side of the blind.

Like was said earlier, it's perfectly legal. It's a pure pisser though, because this is the only place I have to hunt deer.

I did go to Menards and pick up some orange no hunting/trespassing signs this evening. They will go up in the morning.

Here is a satellite view, the red arrow is where the blind is located:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I would be setting up some plywood barriers along the known property line blocking this activity. Just knowing they were willing to send rounds into that area you will be in is a serious matter. Legal or not I would put a top to it.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    I would be setting up some plywood barriers along the known property line blocking this activity. Just knowing they were willing to send rounds into that area you will be in is a serious matter. Legal or not I would put a top to it.
    CM, I know where you're a'goin, but you DON'T actually "know" that until the rounds are actually fired.

Having personally dealt with this, up-to-and-including involvement of the DNR, there truly is almost nothing that can be done until you can prove they DID, in fact, shoot across a legal boundary.

But that plywood idea is pretty good, provided it's a small area. If you had a bulldozer....
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    CM, I know where you're a'goin, but you DON'T actually "know" that until the rounds are actually fired.

Having personally dealt with this, up-to-and-including involvement of the DNR, there truly is almost nothing that can be done until you can prove they DID, in fact, shoot across a legal boundary.

But that plywood idea is pretty good, provided it's a small area. If you had a bulldozer....
    I helped 2 people do this a few years ago. Put up some 4X8 light sheets and screw them to the trees. 3 usually covers any line of sight. And yes it can become a game when the dip ****s move the blind impervious to your intentions to stop this. A screw gun, box of screws and 3 sheets of 1/4" cheap plywood will set the tone.

User Info Menu

We have been known to put up a stand directly across the line from the ones pointing into our ground that are on the line. We also place a t-post with a no trespassing sign right on the line directly in front of stands on the neighboring property that are obviously hunting across the line. "No Trespassing/No Hunting/No Retrieving". I print them on my computer and laminate them and then we staple them to a piece of plywood mounted on the post. At one point, we had a total of 15 stands in the four parcels (five acres each) that border our property on the east side. That doesn't include the stand and blind that were on our southwest border. Those five acre parcels include the houses, etc. and each have maybe an acre or two of woods on the back of the parcel. One of those has three tree stands and a ground blind in that one acre area of woods.

We used to allow neighbors to retrieve. That stopped when all we were doing was walking with them to find their deer and our ground was getting so disturbed that we weren't getting any deer for our freezer. At least one neighbor is still pissed, but he is the reason we said no more, and he doesn't understand. He was a horrible shot and maimed several deer. Out of all the deer he shot, he recovered less than 50% the last year we allowed him to track them on our ground. He hunts his in-laws property now in another town because without being allowed access to our ground, it isn't possible for him to get deer. He has ten acres but always hunted our border.
    L.F.F.L.

Follow my son's journey as he travels Europe for the next year on this thread.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...adventure.html or by reading his blog at www.sketchytravels.com

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    I helped 2 people do this a few years ago. Put up some 4X8 light sheets and screw them to the trees. 3 usually covers any line of sight. And yes it can become a game when the dip ****s move the blind impervious to your intentions to stop this. A screw gun, box of screws and 3 sheets of 1/4" cheap plywood will set the tone.
    Set the tone... hmm...

...set the tone.....

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Boo...n%3A5875772011

+

say...

A nice mix of Tupac, Bocelli, Pantera,..you get the idea.....

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DEC View Post
    I know a guy who had such problems and a few days before season he spread moth balls on his side of the property line. I'm not endorsing this, I'm not giving the guy's name, but he swears those hunters never shot a deer during the three or four years that he did it. The stands magically came down after several seasons. Technically this would be hunter harassment, so in doing this the risk is all on you.

I know another guy who hung a giant blue tarp on his side of the property line adjacent to a guy's stand as well. Again ... hunter harassment.

Another guy told me of the time he hung aluminum pie pans from trees on his side of the line adjacent to another guy's stand ... yep ... hunter harassment if caught doing so.

To my knowledge none of these guys were charged with anything, but in every instance I am told that stands came down. Probably not the most neighborly thing to do though.

When I bought my land, I had to have an encounter with a neighboring hunter who had his stand setup on the property line looking into my field. I walked up to the line while he was in the stand and introduced myself. I told him that if I caught him shooting a deer out of my field that the law would be involved. I told him if he shot one on his land and it then crossed onto mine that I expected a phone call and I would give him permission to go get it. He didn't like my directive, but a couple days later his stand was moved about 20 yards further from the line and facing away from my land. He still thinks I am a jerk, but I really don't care and we haven't had any problems since.
    Neither of those examples are hunter harassment. To be harassment the game has to be hunted and taken legally. Hunting over property that you do not have permission is trespassing and hunting is not legal.

We put up a tarp next to an illegal stand our dipsh!t neighbor built 1 ft from the property line. His property is a jumble of thickets that you cannot see 10 feet into. Our property is open hardwood forest sloping gently uphill from his stand. You tell me where he was "hunting"?

Even had the warden over to investigate and told him we were putting up a tarp to discourage him shooting on property he didn't and wouldn't receive permission to hunt.

Put up tarp 2 days before season opener just to make sure he didn't have a clue. Next year he moved the permanent stand about 10 feet off the property line and cut shooting lanes through his thickets. But the tarp stayed.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I like the idea about the tarp and the mothballs. With a slingshot you could disperse them any place you wanted to.[mothballs] My neighbor has 3 stands right on the property line, I think I will try this out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4