• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    getting my knives sharp for gun season, two weeks straight, except for thanksgiving, 10 hours a day. last year the money went for a 16ga browning o/u citori, this year it will pay to have an adjustable comb installed for trap shooting. anyone else process?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've processed my own for years, but I'm getting pickier as I get older. I don't get everything I can off a carcass, just not worth the time.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I process mine and will help friends/family with theirs. I need to get one soon because we are just about of meat from last year. I only processed two does. My wife canned quite a bit last year so we still have some of that but out of ground meat. Every once in a while I will keep roasts. Mostly just back straps and grind the rest. I do make summer sausage and sometimes breakfast sausage.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I process mine and will help friends/family with theirs. I need to get one soon because we are just about of meat from last year. I only processed two does. My wife canned quite a bit last year so we still have some of that but out of ground meat. Every once in a while I will keep roasts. Mostly just back straps and grind the rest. I do make summer sausage and sometimes breakfast sausage.

we keep about half the ground in the freezer the other half we can as regular ground meat breakfast patties taco meat meatloaf nice for quick meals and also frees up freezer space.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I am slow, but I process my own as well. Can't stand the thought of paying someone to do it for me. Back strap, some steaks, roasts, and grind the rest with small percentage of pork sausage. Some years we can part of it. I'm not much of a hunter. Shoot the first 2 deer I see most years. Rarely ever spend more than 4 hours in the stand in any given year. Sad, I know. But I just hunt for the meat.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I do my own as well.

Front quarters stay whole for the smoker. It shreds like smoked beef.....yum! I shoulder shoot them so it's fun to see people's faces when they see dinner with a .429 bullet hole in it :)

Straps make steaks.
    Rears are ground, stew meat, or jerky sliced. Tenderloins grilled day of kill....camp tradition.

I give the neck roast away.

No way will I pay $100 or so to have my deer mixed in with 5 others that were paraded around for a day in a truck to show off the rack before ever seeing a cooler or ice.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I do my own as well.

Front quarters stay whole for the smoker. It shreds like smoked beef.....yum! I shoulder shoot them so it's fun to see people's faces when they see dinner with a .429 bullet hole in it :)

Straps make steaks.
    Rears are ground, stew meat, or jerky sliced. Tenderloins grilled day of kill....camp tradition.

No way will I pay $100 or so to have my deer mixed in with 5 others that were paraded around for a day in a truck to show off the rack before ever seeing a cooler or ice.

How does the smoker do with all the silver skin in a front quarter? Does it separate more easily? I've been tossing a lot of front shoulder due to silver skin, bone fragments and bullet damage.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I do my own as well.

Straps make steaks.

don`t know who processed yours, but we don`t mix deer, you get your own deer back, cost $85

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    don`t know who processed yours, but we don`t mix deer, you get your own deer back, cost $85

Unfortunately, mixing deer from multiple hunters seems to be the norm for most processors.

I process my own most of the time but when I do use a processor I make sure to wait until near the end of muzzleloader season when processors are not as busy, temps are cold and it is less likely they will have other deer to mix in with mine.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    Unfortunately, mixing deer from multiple hunters seems to be the norm for most processors.

I process my own most of the time but when I do use a processor I make sure to wait until near the end of muzzleloader season when processors are not as busy, temps are cold and it is less likely they will have other deer to mix in with mine.

we use a simple method, each deer we check in gets a number tag attached(actually a cow ear tag) linked to your name, when your deer is processed, we cut it to your orders, wrap it, put it in a box with your name on it, then to the freezer, then on to the next deer, one at a time. we know of some sausage makers in the area that mix deer if less then 50 pounds, but we found a new guy in palmyra that keeps deer seperate.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    we use a simple method, each deer we check in gets a number tag attached(actually a cow ear tag) linked to your name, when your deer is processed, we cut it to your orders, wrap it, put it in a box with your name on it, then to the freezer, then on to the next deer, one at a time. we know of some sausage makers in the area that mix deer if less then 50 pounds, but we found a new guy in palmyra that keeps deer seperate.

I wish the processors near where I hunt did it that way, summer sausage is about the only thing I ever have processed.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    we use a simple method, each deer we check in gets a number tag attached(actually a cow ear tag) linked to your name, when your deer is processed, we cut it to your orders, wrap it, put it in a box with your name on it, then to the freezer, then on to the next deer, one at a time. .

That's how my processor does it. It's hard to find an honest processor but I am fortunate that there is one in our area. He does an excellent job. I asked around a lot and found him via others recommendations.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    How does the smoker do with all the silver skin in a front quarter? Does it separate more easily? I've been tossing a lot of front shoulder due to silver skin, bone fragments and bullet damage.

It separates very easily. I smoke to 150 internal, then foil it until it's fork pullable.

Try one this way....you'll never debone one again :)

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    For those that want sausage, The Pickled Platter (on Facebook) is good. You get your meat, not mixed. He is located in Brown County.

I am am not affiliated in any way. I have just had his snack sticks and know him.

Top Bottom