• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I would like to process my own deer, but may have to bring them home to let them hang through rigor mortis. My question is: Without a solid tree, and a garage that is too warm to keep a deer in, how do you hang the deer? Something inexpensive would be ideal, since I will work to NOT have to bring it home. (I can hang and process at the private ground I am blessed enough to have access to. But not at the expense of missing work.)

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    You may want to try quartering up the deer and placing it in a cooler on top of some ice to age to your desired time. This has been my method for many years and works great.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I had the same problem a few years back. I bought a large (120+ quart) cooler and use it to store the broken-down deer on ice until I can get to it.

I break it down to four quarters, back straps, neck, and tenderloins unless I have time to fully process in the field. Leave the cooler on a slight angle and leave the drain port open. This will easily keep meat for 3-4 days, and 5-7 in a pinch.

You will need to add ice after days 1, 3, and 5. I just dump the cubes in to increase the contact area. This will result in a slight grey tint to the meat in the cooler, but a brief rest will bring back the full color. This method seems to do a very good job of reducing the amount of blood in the meat.

Use the gutless method to save additional time in the field. https://youtu.be/nbnp82DWMCE

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I used an old steel bathtub for a couple of seasons.
    I had no place to hang a deer, but I had an old steel tub, so I dropped the deer in whole after feild dressing.
    I probably dumped 150 lbs of ice on top and covered it with a sheet of 3/4" plywood, then laid a moving blanket on top for insulation.
    The drain in the tub was open so everything drained nicely.
    I've stored a deer as long as 6 or 7 days in such a manner, being sure to watch the ice supply.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I had the same problem a few years back. I bought a large (120+ quart) cooler and use it to store the broken-down deer on ice until I can get to it.

I break it down to four quarters, back straps, neck, and tenderloins unless I have time to fully process in the field. Leave the cooler on a slight angle and leave the drain port open. This will easily keep meat for 3-4 days, and 5-7 in a pinch.

You will need to add ice after days 1, 3, and 5. I just dump the cubes in to increase the contact area. This will result in a slight grey tint to the meat in the cooler, but a brief rest will bring back the full color. This method seems to do a very good job of reducing the amount of blood in the meat.

Use the gutless method to save additional time in the field. https://youtu.be/nbnp82DWMCE

I used the big fish cooler method and ice like Tryin" described with good results back when I hunted public land. I use a tractor front loader to hang the deer in a cold barn until it's processed these days.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Try to find an old swing set frame. Not real tall but gets it hanging. Not recommended if dogs, cats or other critters are a concern.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    After going from hanging to storing quartered in a cooler, I will probably continue to quartering in the woods and storing in a cooler. Just a head up, I believe you are required to check-in your deer before processing further. With being able to do online check in, makes this method much easier if you have a smart phone and a signal where you hunt.

just look up videos of quartering on YouTube. Some guys can do it in a little as 5 minutes...it took me 30.

Last edited:

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I use a tripod fashioned together with 3 14’ 2x4’s with a small block and tackle hanging from the top. I use it for both field dressing, hanging, and boning out the meat. Once you’ve field dressed one while hanging you’ll refuse to do another on the ground. The block and tackle makes it super easy to keep things at a comfortable working height. When it’s not being used, the whole package collapses down to the size of 3 2x4’s stacked together.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We used 3 sassafras poles to hang hogs and steers when I was a young man on the farm. 4' of 1" chain wrapped around the poles and a come-along hooked to the chain. Deer don't require all that much muscle to raise unless you've nailed a monster buck so a small block and tackle usually suffices. Nowadays the bucket on the tractor works for me. And working standing beats a tarp on the ground all day.

Ideally, a cooler to hang the carcass is better and less likely to harbor bacteria than ice in a cooler.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I use a tripod fashioned together with 3 14’ 2x4’s with a small block and tackle hanging from the top. I use it for both field dressing, hanging, and boning out the meat. Once you’ve field dressed one while hanging you’ll refuse to do another on the ground. The block and tackle makes it super easy to keep things at a comfortable working height. When it’s not being used, the whole package collapses down to the size of 3 2x4’s stacked together.

if/when you get it out, would you share a pic of how everything goes together at the top? This sounds like the most viable option.

Hitch mount is out if I want to let my wife go to work. My car does not have a hitch.

Could do the cooler thing. Will look into quartering it.

Thanks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Used to hang em in old garage or hoist in oak tree out back.
    New house has no back yard tree.
    Garage full of women stuff.

I doubt they'd make me a spot to hang a deer.

Buddy lives a couple miles down the road, said bring em over and we'd butcher them there. Quite the set up (pole barn).

Simple rule: don't bring cheap beer.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Used to hang em in old garage or hoist in oak tree out back.
    New house has no back yard tree.
    Garage full of women stuff.

I doubt they'd make me a spot to hang a deer.

Buddy lives a couple miles down the road, said bring em over and we'd butcher them there. Quite the set up (pole barn).

Simple rule: don't bring cheap beer.

Beer AFTER butchering = No fingers in the grinder.:yesway:

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Next time I’m at the farm I’ll take a pic. Its pretty simple. Stack the three 2x4’s. Drill a hole through all 3 near the top. Put a bolt through the three boards, not completely tight. Spread them out into a tripod. Hang a pulley and thread a rope. Pretty simple!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Depending on the outside temp. Just hang it on the front porch

Been there, done that.
    I've skinned and quartered several deer hanging from a solid hook into the main porch beam, and I live in a residential neighborhood.
    A small block and tackle, along with a cheap gambrel and it's relatively simple.
    Neighbors enjoy the show, and some share in the bounty.

Top Bottom