• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Hello everyone :ingo:! Over the last two years I have gotten back into hunting. Last year I bought a crossbow to see how I liked archery. I surprising liked it a lot more, than I thought I was going to! I've somehow gotten bows in my collection of things over the years. Unfortunately, they are all dated and way past their prime where shops can't seem to do much with them or adjust where they need to be to fit me properly. So I was looking to purchase an entry level compound to shoot over the next year and to hunt with next season. I think I have narrowed it down to a Bear Cruiser G2 ( https://beararchery.com/product/av83b21007r/ ). Any of you seasoned hunters have a reason to way this is not a good choice?

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    I just started bow hunting last year and have done quite a bit of research over the past few. My opinion is the Cruzer is a good starter bow that comes with decent accessories like a whisker biscuit rest and trophy ridge sight. I’m probably going to get a Cruzer for my kids to grow with since they have so much adjustability in draw weight.
    The adjustability of the Cruzer gives it more play at full draws where other bows have a more solid back wall. I compared the Cruzer to the PSE brute force lite and the PSE felt more solid, had a better wall at full draw and isn’t as loud as the Cruzer.
    I’ve also looked at the Diamond Infinite Edge which felt like it had a smoother draw cycle but I would end up upgrading parts which adds to the cost and have heard they don’t stay in tune as well as the Bear and other bows.
    When I was looking last year I thought a lot about a Bear but ended up with a PSE brute force lite that went on sale prior to Black Friday at Cabelas. They will probably start putting out discounts starting in November if you wait a few more weeks. You can get a higher end bow for slightly more than the Cruzer or something similar.
    Try some out, you’ll notice the difference and decide if a more expensive bow is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Nothing wrong with that bow as starter but unless you have to have one right away, you will almost certainly be able to find either a better deal on it or a better bow for a similar price after season.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Check out archery talk.com. They have a for sale section for hunting or target bows. Used prices on all makes of bows in the classified section. I’ve bought 3 bows off of the site and have been happy with the price, and condition. If you know what you want/need you can look for the specific model with your draw length and weight. If you buy used pay attention to whether the strings and cables have been replaced recently. If not you’ll end up spending another $100 to have them replaced.

Good luck

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    I just started bow hunting last year and have done quite a bit of research over the past few. My opinion is the Cruzer is a good starter bow that comes with decent accessories like a whisker biscuit rest and trophy ridge sight. I’m probably going to get a Cruzer for my kids to grow with since they have so much adjustability in draw weight.
    The adjustability of the Cruzer gives it more play at full draws where other bows have a more solid back wall. I compared the Cruzer to the PSE brute force lite and the PSE felt more solid, had a better wall at full draw and isn’t as loud as the Cruzer.
    I’ve also looked at the Diamond Infinite Edge which felt like it had a smoother draw cycle but I would end up upgrading parts which adds to the cost and have heard they don’t stay in tune as well as the Bear and other bows.
    When I was looking last year I thought a lot about a Bear but ended up with a PSE brute force lite that went on sale prior to Black Friday at Cabelas. They will probably start putting out discounts starting in November if you wait a few more weeks. You can get a higher end bow for slightly more than the Cruzer or something similar.
    Try some out, you’ll notice the difference and decide if a more expensive bow is worth it.

I honestly never thought about getting a better bow on a holiday sale I might just wait it out.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Nothing wrong with that bow as starter but unless you have to have one right away, you will almost certainly be able to find either a better deal on it or a better bow for a similar price after season.

Think I’ll just wait then. Hopefully I’ll end up with something nicer for a better price.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Another factor to think about.....The Cruzer should be able to be adjusted without a bow press. However, when looking at used bows (in person or online), you need to find out if it will adjust to your draw length and desired weight. Many are draw length specific. These need specific modules for specific lengths. Some will even need new cams, strings, and cables in order to get to your draw length. Those are things to consider when pricing. I suggest finding a bow shop near you if you haven't already. They usually have used bows and will be able tell you if they will or can be fitted to you. They might even have a new "starter" bow that you like. A lot of times, these shops will set up a bow for free if you buy it from them. If you need work on something you bought elsewhere, and cannot do it yourself, you will have to pay someone to do it for you. This is another thing to think about.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    Cabela’s, and Dick’s have free service for bows. Bass Pro probably does too.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Cabela’s, and Dick’s have free service for bows. Bass Pro probably does too.

I know this is not always the case, as there is always exceptions, but from all that I have heard and experienced, the people working for the box stores don't know a lot. I have seen guys buy a bow and get it set up at a box store, then have so many issues. They take it to a pro shop and have to pay to get it set up correctly. Box store employees don't have anything at stake like the ones who own their own business. I have also seen guys who run pro shops and can't set up things correctly. I guess just be careful where ever you go.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    I know this is not always the case, as there is always exceptions, but from all that I have heard and experienced, the people working for the box stores don't know a lot. I have seen guys buy a bow and get it set up at a box store, then have so many issues. They take it to a pro shop and have to pay to get it set up correctly. Box store employees don't have anything at stake like the ones who own their own business. I have also seen guys who run pro shops and can't set up things correctly. I guess just be careful where ever you go.

This is a good point and I have had a few headaches with service. Fortunately I live close to a store and it hasn’t been too much of inconvenience. I’m just thinking for someone trying to keep the cost low it can be worth dealing with.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I was exactly where you are a few years back myself, my bow was vintage for sure.
    I bought my son a new bow and was so impressed with how fast his bow was shooting I went back to Bass Pro and the salesman talked me into buying a Bear Lights Out package bow. I've had it a few years now and I'm still a happy customer with Bear.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Yes, you have to be careful with the small independent shops as well. While most are pretty good, the few completely terrible experiences have had were with small shops that didn't really view the archery portion of their business as a priority.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Yes, you have to be careful with the small independent shops as well. While most are pretty good, the few completely terrible experiences have had were with small shops that didn't really view the archery portion of their business as a priority.

I know that is the case with whatever someone is looking at buying. Just like some, myself included, have a favorite gun shop where we are willing to pay a little extra to keep them in business. I see your case with businesses that deal in multiple areas. I am talking about archery pro shops where that is all they do. These shops are the ones that are usually really good at what they do, because it is all they do.

Top Bottom