Any clever designs for a fairly solid ground blind out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Where I am at, there are no trees for a tree stand and even if there were I'd still prefer a ground blind. I've been using an old pop up blind for a couple years, and it's always very tight in there if/when I take a kid or another adult. In addition to the small size the blinds are also usually pretty flimsy and are easily blown over in the wide open field I have to set them up in. I'm debating on just getting some 4'x8' sheets of plywood and setting them up in some sort of quick and easy system that pins together. Without getting overly complicated, I want to see if anyone out there has built anything similar to what I'm vaguely talking about. Surely someone else has built some ground blinds that are semi permanent and don't blow over in the wind. I have several ideas in mind, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if i don't have to.

Any suggestions?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How about some camo netting stretched over a PVC frame? Use tent stakes and rope to secure it. Reasonably cheap and light weight.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It seems like you could easily build a fairly durable blind using some old pallets, some camo netting, and some t-posts if you want something a little more permanent.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    How about some camo netting stretched over a PVC frame? Use tent stakes and rope to secure it. Reasonably cheap and light weight.

You'll have to be very still or have some way to darken two walls and the roof to opaque or the deer will note any movement behind the netting. Double bull and some 10' nail type tent pegs for my next one.
    Plywood is heavy, but if you're only gonna set it up once a season you could whip something up held together with wingnuts or some type of corner clip.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How movable do you want it? Can it stay or must it be moved?

Ideally it'd be something that I can take down and reuse. I've thought about a quick and easy wood frame, stacking straw bales, and even a tarp in a plow point. It's not something my wife is going to want to see permanently out back.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I've set up a turkey blind before using the green garden fence stakes and a burlap camo curtain tied to the stakes with some zip ties. You could do the same for a deer blind.
    Home Depot has the Everbilt-2-1-4-in-x-2-1-2-in-x-4-ft-Green-Steel-Fence & you can get burlap camo netting / curtain at Wal-mart, Amazon etc. Put a couple chairs in the middle and make sure your background is brushed in. Not as warm as a pop up blind but it's cheap and mobile.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Other than a ghillie, my thoughts are this:

To sorta kinda blend in, you need to use materials FROM the location, and already have the blind up MONTHS beforehand so it becomes ordinary to the target.

...unless I am unaware that there is a Walmart where the deer hang out looking at camo print Chinese plastic.

In a lot of time and effort spent on the subject of eye level hunting, we've continued to find that just sitting or lying down in concealment, and being perty still continues to be the way.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Would making a blind from hay bales be considered baiting ? :dunno:

Ghillie suit is nice idea doesn’t work so well on a 2&5 yo

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like the idea of the redneck round hay bale blinds. They fit in well in my 'hood. I've thought more than once that I could toss one together for cheaper than the companies ask for them. Maybe using a cattle panel as the main support structure? On top of that, at least part of the covering could be made from real pasture hay.

sportsmans-burlap-bale-blind_1200x.jpg

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I thought the same as you at one point. The amount of effort and economics to build a blind that wasn’t portable didn’t trump a portable pop up blind. I use several different size pop up ground blinds. When properly staked down, they stay in place for the duration of the season. I have a couple in clearings that sit on top of a 4’ high platform. They’re exempt from orange squares and have a nice wood floor. When you use quality tent stakes, it’s surprising how much wind abuse they can take.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana

To sorta kinda blend in, you need to use materials FROM the location, and already have the blind up MONTHS beforehand so it becomes ordinary to the target.

...unless I am unaware that there is a Walmart where the deer hang out looking at camo print Chinese plastic. Quote}

I have some pop up blinds and I never have them up months beforehand. Brush them in and you are good to go and we get deer. The only time to get them up early is when they are new to get the cheap Chinese vinyl smell out. Now if you stick a pop up camo blind out in the middle of a cut down corn field well then yeah you probably gonna spook em. Got to be smart about it but pop up blinds work.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Restroyer, I like to make recommendations for best practices.

Those practices I mentioned are, indeed, best practices as far as my experience extends; I've used all of the above and then some.

What I've recommended works as close to 100% of the time as you can get on the toughest quarry out there.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    If you’re having problems with the blinds you are using not being stable or wind and weather resistant I would speculate that you are using low quality blinds. There is a world of difference in the $100 blind you find at Menards, Dicks, Gander, etc. compare to a Double Bull or other quality blind. Granted a good blind can easily cost between $300 and $400. However the higher priced blinds like Primos or Double Bull are made out of much better material than th cheaper models.

I have had a Primos blind for over 5 years. While hunting antelope two years ago on the high plains of northeast Colorado a major rainstorm blew through our area. One side of my blind collapsed and the carbon fiber frame on one wall splintered but otherwise the blind was intact. I obtained another frame for that one side for $20 and replaced the damage frame. I suspect the blind will last several more years. I might also mention one of my hunting partners also had a blind out when the storm went through. We never did find the blind - the material ripped where the stakes attached and the whole thing blew away !

Bottom line - spend the money and purchase a good quality blind. Then buy aftermarket tent stakes and use those instead of what is furnished with the blind and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck

PS - I just reread your post. You stated you are setting the blinds up in the middle of a bare field. I would suggest you give some consideration to blind placement. Perhaps at the least in a fence row !

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

...unless I am unaware that there is a Walmart where the deer hang out looking at camo print Chinese plastic. Quote}

I have some pop up blinds and I never have them up months beforehand. Brush them in and you are good to go and we get deer. The only time to get them up early is when they are new to get the cheap Chinese vinyl smell out. Now if you stick a pop up camo blind out in the middle of a cut down corn field well then yeah you probably gonna spook em. Got to be smart about it but pop up blinds work.

Actually if you put the blind up immediately after the corn is picked, as in the same day, you can get away with it. When done immediately like that the deer never have a chance to see the picked field without the blind and will be relaxed around it.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I thought the same as you at one point. The amount of effort and economics to build a blind that wasn’t portable didn’t trump a portable pop up blind. I use several different size pop up ground blinds. When properly staked down, they stay in place for the duration of the season. I have a couple in clearings that sit on top of a 4’ high platform. They’re exempt from orange squares and have a nice wood floor. When you use quality tent stakes, it’s surprising how much wind abuse they can take.

This..... Good longer stakes and use staked tie downs to keep he sides from collapsing..

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Actually if you put the blind up immediately after the corn is picked, as in the same day, you can get away with it. When done immediately like that the deer never have a chance to see the picked field without the blind and will be relaxed around it.

I proved this concept opening day turkey season this year. Pop up blind on top of hill, in the middle of corn field cut the day before. Two deer walked up close enough for me to touch.

Top Bottom