• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Caught this trespasser fishing in our pond Wednesday morning. We didn’t see the actual fishing (would have been awesome though) but saw his/her leftovers. I’ll give it to he knows where the big ones are.

Attachments

• 12B912FF-E95C-4B30-8088-28794A858A50.jpg
      12B912FF-E95C-4B30-8088-28794A858A50.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 367
    • F98F6B22-273B-4943-805E-42BA1C160797.jpg
      F98F6B22-273B-4943-805E-42BA1C160797.jpg
      263.2 KB · Views: 304

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mom, I saw one not to far from your house. at 39 & 8 last Wed. or Thur. on my way home from Monticello

I know there is a pair at Bass Lake, and we have seen them on 35 south of 6. The neighbor that I helped had one across from her house a mile from us, but I haven't seen any here so far. Lots of hawks and owls, but no eagles so far.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We now have several breeding pairs in Tippecanoe county.
    I've seen as many as 6 birds at a time in a large tree overlooking the pond at Williamsburg apartment complex.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Pretty common around Versailles park-more so than deer! Seen 4 at one time last week while sitting in stand,wife saw 2 eating on a road kill on Friendship rd. this week.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    There are Bald Eagles where I grew up, you often hear about how on earth a rockfish or bluefish ended up on my lawn, driveway or car from someone that doesn't live on the water.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    LOVE This. 40 years ago we had none of these here. No Eagles, no Hawks to speak of. Now you see them everywhere and its awesome!

Wait, PETA types say I cant possibly like this because as a hunter, I am cold, heartless, and hate nature.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Hendricks County is starting to have a lot of Eagles and Turkeys around. I don't know who or how they have brought them back.....but I am glad they are here. Nothing quite as impressive as an Eagle!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hendricks County is starting to have a lot of Eagles and Turkeys around. I don't know who or how they have brought them back.....but I am glad they are here. Nothing quite as impressive as an Eagle!

I think you can thank us hunters as Deadeye pointed out. Those PETA types forget that our hunting license dollars were spent on conservation efforts like this, and you can credit the hunting community for the resurgence of predatory birds. (not sure about the turkeys though)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    We now have several breeding pairs in Tippecanoe county.
    I've seen as many as 6 birds at a time in a large tree overlooking the pond at Williamsburg apartment complex.

There's at least one pair in White county, maybe half mile or so from my house. The Audobon club at the elementary school walk down each spring and try to get a peek at the hatchlings. Can't see much but occasionally a small head popping up. And of course momma or poppa is always near with the other coming and going.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    If I owned property with a pond I would consider it a HONOR to have them trespass on my land. Very cool pictures.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    LOVE This. 40 years ago we had none of these here. No Eagles, no Hawks to speak of. Now you see them everywhere and its awesome!

Wikipedia says that Bald Eagles were once common throughout the US until their numbers drastically declined due to habitat loss, thinning of eggshells from DDT, and from wide-spread shooting by hunters.

Old timers may remember the time when hunters would shoot any bird of prey that they could, with the thought that they were helping to preserved game bird numbers.

Good to see that times, and attitudes change.

On a side-note, one bird of prey is in decline in Indiana, and that's the Kestrel. They're in decline because of the lack of un-farmed set-aside ground, pasture, and hayfields where they hunt mice, and because they liked to nest in old wooden barns, which are disappearing.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    They can use my barn anytime they want. On my property in Perry County, we have several Redtails and smaller BOP, I assume which are a Falcon of sort. I also watched a Golden Eagle for quite awhile on a turkey hunt there a couple years ago. Thought it was a huge Redtail with a dark belly till I googled the Golden Eagle. Last time I saw one of those was at Brown County State Park probably 40 years ago.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We see plenty of owls, redtail hawks, turkey buzzards and cooper's hawks. Owls mostly on the trail camera when we have a bait pile for the coyotes and the owls feed on it.

My husband had a great horned owl land on top of his hunting condo a couple of weeks ago when he was out coyote hunting. He said it shook the whole thing and was rather loud when it landed, and it took him a minute to figure out what had just happened. When it took off about 20 minutes later, he felt it again.

Top Bottom