• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Terrible day squirrel hunting today. I headed south about 3:15 and got out of the car at about 4:15....

First, my usual spot near Hindustan was occupied, or at least the little pull off area had 2 trucks in it. So, I headed on down Farr road, looking for a spot to step off into Morgan Monroe. About 3 miles and countless pulloffs later, I finally find one with a reasonable entry and no vehicle. I pulled in, loaded up my trusty model 60 (33yrs old this season), and head off into the woods. There's a decent ATV/access trail, so I stick to it, no reason to bushwhack if I don't have to. About 10 minutes into walking, I see a decent sized foxy putzing around maybe 20 yards in front of me. He hops up the trunk of a broken tree and pauses. I drew a bead on him and just as I pulled through the break, he slips around to the other side of the trunk. I see him drop to the ground, but I don't know if he's hit or just trying to GTFO. I trooped over to the tree and find the upper half of the tree is fallen over directly behind the trunk. He's not there, or at least not laying there like a good dead squirrel should be. Ok, chalk that one up to a miss.

I head deeper in for about another half hour or so, and it's a good day, no wind, not too hot or cold, and pretty damp ground so I'm not crunching leaves as I walk. I round a bend in the trail to see a big ol' fat foxy sitting on the laid over trunk of a downed tree. He lays down just as I see him, tail twitching. It's not the same one, this one was half again the size of the first. Again, I line up the shot and pull the trigger. I'm low, and hit the trunk of the tree. He freezes. Hurray! Without taking my eye off him, I adjust and fire, but I yanked the shot. This time, he books it outta there and is gone before I can get glass on him again. The tree was laid over about 6' off the ground, and as I walked up to it, I notice that both impacts are within a half inch of each other. Nice grouping, if not intentional.

Frustrated, I grab the sling on the rifle and swing it to put it back on my shoulder. Little did I know that the upper clasp of the sling has come loose (it's a GI sling). Cue the slow motion tip of the rifle backwards while I'm sliding my hand down the sling towards the butt of the gun. In slow motion, it pivots on the butt end sling attachment and sticks like a lawn dart into the soft ground at my feet. Now, my rifle stays on safe unless it's at my shoulder and I'm getting ready to shoot, so I wasn't too concerned with an AD/ND.

I picked it up, pulled the tube magazine rod and slid the few remaining rounds into my hand, then cycled the action to eject the one in the chamber. Locking the bolt back, I found a small stick to dig the dirt out of the muzzle, off the front sight, and in between the mag tube and barrel.

At that point, I said out loud to myself, "my day is done." I didn't want to take any risks of anything left in the barrel.

So, in summary, I took 3 shots and the only thing I plugged was the barrel of my gun.
    :ugh:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Last year I tried coyote hunting for the first time. I'm not much of a hunter, I can admit it. I had fun, had some adventures, but all the coyotes lived. I'm probably staying home this year.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    A bad day hunting is almost always better than a good day in the office.

"it's a good day, no wind, not too hot or cold, and pretty damp ground" I always start with the attitude that I'm going to spend a day walking in the woods and I happen to be carrying a gun. If I come home with lunch so much the better.

Then again, there are days I don't see fit trying...after all, I don't need to find lunch. Now, the whole missing lunch that's sitting right there thing...:p

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    At least you got out.i have a new Mountain Feist.She is 5 months and starting to tree.Hope to get her in the woods this week.

Last edited:

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    I have hunting trips like that.
    Mostly mine was scope issues, but after finding a gaint can of loctite i havent had anymore issues.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    It's always a learning experience. I always have a second gun and tools in my truck. Food water and gear. Precious hunting time can't be lost to a little mud in the bore or other small things that could happen.

My first time hunting squirrels this year. It's been a wonderful time walking the woods and the leg of squirrel stew was exceptional this evening.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Ever notice how much squirrel hunting and golf have in common? You can have the finest equipment, the most perfect conditions, but some days it just ain't enough, things just don't go in your favor. Frustrating as can be.

Better luck next time. Nothing like pulling the trigger and watching Mr. Squirrel go limp without even a twitch.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Everyone even remotely self sufficient oriented should take and eat a few squirrels a year.

From hunting to shooting to cleaning to cooking, there is a lot to get right or wrong that can make all the difference on your harvest.

Top Bottom