Considering a Crossbow - Any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've had three different compound bows since I started archery hunting in 1989. Crossbows weren't an option for me at the time because a) they were only allowed for handicapped or seniors and b) I wasn't ready to change to a crossbow when Indiana law changed and made it legal for the rest of us to hunt with one.

But now, holy cow there are some awesome crossbows out there. I'm 62 and although I still feel very young, I also feel like I've earned it, and it sure would be awesome to reach out and touch some of the awesome deer often seen during the pre-rut time, like about now, before the gunfire starts and everything changes.

Anyway, I'm ready to try one. I may not have the time to dial one in for this season, but I do want to have one ready to go next year.

I've looked at the Ten Points and the Ravins, super sweet equipment, but super sweet price tag to match.

Anyone have suggestions?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have a cheapo Barnett wildcat.... c5 I think? Don’t even know but it gets the job done..... at a target I trust 40yds and I won’t lose an arrow. At a deer 30yds is about as far as I would try. But admittedly I am far from a marksmen just what I feel comfortable with.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I panic bought a Barnett Recruit a few years ago when a shoulder injury prevented me from using my compound days before archery season. Shoots good, and small and lightweight. I haven't hunted with it much but I did take a deer at 30yds no problem. Attractive price tag. No regrets.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a cheapo Barnett wildcat.... c5 I think? Don’t even know but it gets the job done..... at a target I trust 40yds and I won’t lose an arrow. At a deer 30yds is about as far as I would try. But admittedly I am far from a marksmen just what I feel comfortable with.

I panic bought a Barnett Recruit a few years ago when a shoulder injury prevented me from using my compound days before archery season. Shoots good, and small and lightweight. I haven't hunted with it much but I did take a deer at 30yds no problem. Attractive price tag. No regrets.

At least based on what I've read and heard (I've only shot a crossbow once, at 25 yds) I think most crossbows should be capable of much more than 30 yds. I've taken deer out to 40 with my compound bow. Should be able to hit 80 with a crossbow, that's my whole motivation, to be able to significantly increase my range for archery.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Years ago when they became legal for late season I bought an Exocet. Still shoot it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    They're legal now for the entire archery season, aren't they?

Yes, legal both early and late. I had to change my stand hunting some as you have to be wary of obstructions. Elevation changes with a vertical bow are easier, with a crossbow be very aware of where the limbs are.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    At least based on what I've read and heard, I think most crossbows should be capable of much more than 30 yds. I've taken deer out to 40 with my compound bow. Should e able to hit 80 with a crossbow, that's my whole motivation, to be able to significantly increase my range for archery.

Then the Recruit is probably not for you. I target shoot it out to 50 but that would be pushing it for me personally. Every deer I've killed has been 20-30 yds with a gun or bow so that wasn't a consideration for me.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    At least based on what I've read and heard (I've only shot a crossbow once, at 25 yds) I think most crossbows should be capable of much more than 30 yds. I've taken deer out to 40 with my compound bow. Should be able to hit 80 with a crossbow, that's my whole motivation, to be able to significantly increase my range for archery.

No offense but I think you need to do some more research before thinking you can take a deer humanely at 80 yds with a crossbow. Most crossbow manufacturers recommend stopping at 40 yds. max. It's not that you cannot shoot a crossbow to 80 yds because you can, but there are other factors like bolt drop, velocity reduction over that distance, and not to mention that a deer will move as the bolt is coming at it at 80yds. often causing a poor shot placement. I really think you should get on google & go to some hunting websites and read about the max range of crossbows specific to deer hunting.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

No offense but I think you need to do some more research before thinking you can take a deer humanely at 80 yds with a crossbow. Most crossbow manufacturers recommend stopping at 40 yds. max. It's not that you cannot shoot a crossbow to 80 yds because you can, but there are other factors like bolt drop, velocity reduction over that distance, and not to mention that a deer will move as the bolt is coming at it at 80yds. often causing a poor shot placement. I really think you should get on google & go to some hunting websites and read about the max range of crossbows specific to deer hunting.

I appreciate the input. I'm still in the information gathering phase. Maybe a bad assumption, but based on my max range of 40 with my compound bow. But that was because I shot it a lot and felt comfortable with it at that range. Just figured a crossbow would go further.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    No way in the world I would trust shooting a crossbow 80yds it is still an arrow twigs grass leaves etc.... I have never heard of anyone doing that I saw a guy on a tv hunting show a “professional” shoot at 50yds and the whole time was talking about how it is really pushing it. Maybe with something like that Ravin 20.... but your going to have to put me on payment plans for that one :laugh:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Maybe this misinformation is why compound guys hate crossbow guys :n00b::lmfao::lmfao: thinking we just open a box and start shooting 50+ yards

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If I could shoot groups like this at 60 yds at the range, I wouldn't hesitate to take a 60 yd shot at a deer. That's what the range is for. Check out the trees in this video, there is a decent wind blowing while he's shooting his crossbow, and his 3 shots at 60 yds still appear to be under 3 inches...
    [video=youtube_share;Fe0a_BdJNxQ]https://youtu.be/Fe0a_BdJNxQ[/video]

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If I could shoot groups like this at 60 yds at the range, I wouldn't hesitate to take a 60 yd shot at a deer. That's what the range is for. Check out the trees in this video, there is a decent wind blowing while he's shooting his crossbow, and his 3 shots at 60 yds still appear to be under 3 inches...
    [video=youtube_share;Fe0a_BdJNxQ]https://youtu.be/Fe0a_BdJNxQ[/video]

For that price tag it better drag the deer out for you!!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I jumped into the crossbow world 3 years ago and since it was my first i went cheaper to see if i even like it or not. I bought the Centerpoint sniper 370 and all i can say is im completely satisfied, especially for the price point. Comes with everything you need to hunt other than broadheads. Scope, sling, bolts, etc. all included
    I have split bolts with it at 30 yards a couple of times, to the point that when i am target shooting i have to aim at something different each time. At 50 yards i can put a 3" group together every time.
    I have taken 4 deer with it so far in the 3 years I've had it. All were within 20-30 yards.
    If for some reason i ever have to replace this crossbow i wouldn't hesitate for 1 second to buy the same thing. In fact i believe there is a newer version out now thats suppose to be even quieter as well.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I jumped into the crossbow world 3 years ago and since it was my first i went cheaper to see if i even like it or not. I bought the Centerpoint sniper 370 and all i can say is im completely satisfied, especially for the price point. Comes with everything you need to hunt other than broadheads. Scope, sling, bolts, etc. all included
    I have split bolts with it at 30 yards a couple of times, to the point that when i am target shooting i have to aim at something different each time. At 50 yards i can put a 3" group together every time.
    I have taken 4 deer with it so far in the 3 years I've had it. All were within 20-30 yards.
    If for some reason i ever have to replace this crossbow i wouldn't hesitate for 1 second to buy the same thing. In fact i believe there is a newer version out now thats suppose to be even quieter as well.

The 3-inch group at 50yds is more like what I've heard from others who own them. A close friend of mine who I hunt with frequently owns a Centerpoint but I don't know which model. He says the only thing he doesn't like about it is that the only way to de-cock it is to fire it. So he carries a bolt with a field tip and discharges it into the ground after the hunt.

Top Bottom