Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expert

User Info Menu

Old does have more knowledge than young bucks, but still seem to retain more curiosity in their instincts than do old bucks. If you're ready-with-intent, and camoflaged even halfass well, most does will still give you time for a shot, even if you're busted.

Just yesterday, in nothing but ATACS fatigues, gloves, and facemask/boonie, I met a 1.5 year old 6 pointer along a field of standing corn. I paused on my walk, but he walked directly toward me from 1 o'clock through 3 foot brush. Reaching about 25 feet, he was concerned. Being the cautious young fellow he was, he proceeded on into the complete open of blown-down corn, and circled me at 20 feet or so to get downwind at my 9:30. Only THEN did he trust his first instinct that something might'a been amiss. For a minute, being rut, I thought he was going to ask directions to the local strip club.

Old bucks do none of this.

They make mistakes sometimes and a guy gets lucky. But if you want to be "pretty good" at killing them on a regular basis, you're gonna have to figure out how to consistently present them with input situations their evolution and instincts can't overcome.

It's also helpful to become a helluva lot more conservative on what you "think will work fine".

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Plinker

User Info Menu

our hunting mistakes should be its own thread.

User Info Menu

Doubt you are the only "moron" here. I, for one, have been one while hunting. I've often thought about a comfy "booth" but still hang off a tree as long as my body can take it.
    "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2