• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I was hoping eventually you got to the point in hunting where you quit making rookie mistakes. If that point exists, I have not gotten there. I have a stand where I don't see or hear deer coming from a certain trail until they are 40 yards away. A couple days ago I saw a doe when she got to 30, and at 40 saw a buck following that I have pictures of, and hadn't make up my mind if I wanted to put an arrow in him. I had to open a window to shoot this direction, and focus on the buck for a few minutes waiting on him to look away. When he finally looks behind him, I lower my window completely forgetting he was following a doe who is now 10 yards away, and happens to be looking right at me. Doe takes off, buck follows right behind, and I'm left sitting in the blind saying " YOU _______ moron.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ... " YOU _______ moron.

You said it, not me...
    I wouldn't feel too bad.
    Getting busted by a doe is an easy thing to accomplish.

I hate it when the squirrels bust me and start chattering all over hell's half acre.
    I'm tempted to shoot them but don't want to make the noise.
    One day I'll get a suppressor and take care of that problem.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Window? Man, things have changed. The only window we used to roll down was out of a 1968 International Scout. :)

That window was quiet...as long as you didn't squash any empty beer cans whilst moving into position.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Window? Man, things have changed. The only window we used to roll down was out of a 1968 International Scout. :)

That window was quiet...as long as you didn't squash any empty beer cans whilst moving into position.

I am a new landowner, and just built a hunting "house".
    It is just a raised platform that sits about 5 feet off the ground. Blinds more than 4 feet above ground don't need orange markings.
    The platform is 8'x8', with a 5'x8' "house" on top. That leaves a 3"x8" porch on the front, where I have a bench to sit on if it gets stuffy inside.

I have home-made windows on all 4 sides of my "house" to shoot in every direction.
    I'm hoping to actually be comfortable this season while hunting, at least on that property.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It is just a raised platform that sits about 5 feet off the ground. Blinds more than 4 feet above ground don't need orange markings.
    The platform is 8'x8', with a 5'x8' "house" on top. That leaves a 3"x8" porch on the front, where I have a bench to sit on if it gets stuffy inside.

I have home-made windows on all 4 sides of my "house" to shoot in every direction.
    I'm hoping to actually be comfortable this season while hunting, at least on that property.

This is my first year hunting, and being comfortable. Its amazing. All day sit's are a breeze compared to hanging off the side of a tree. Down side is, its harder to kill out of the house because you cant hear deer coming. In a tree, normally have everything ready to go, waiting on them to pop out.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013

Variants of this have become my style after 20years+ of hunting. Several of my spots have a platform as you describe with a simple pop up attached during season. A buddy propane heater really makes it first class!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Variants of this have become my style after 20years+ of hunting. Several of my spots have a platform as you describe with a simple pop up attached during season. A buddy propane heater really makes it first class!

Pop ups are nice and I used them when I hunted my friend's lands, when I moved to public lands I like being in a tree during gun season. Now I just sleep in and grab my coffee in the early AM. As to mistakes made plenty of them, most times it went against me and a few, very few, it helped. All part of the fun.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Old does have more knowledge than young bucks, but still seem to retain more curiosity in their instincts than do old bucks. If you're ready-with-intent, and camoflaged even halfass well, most does will still give you time for a shot, even if you're busted.

Just yesterday, in nothing but ATACS fatigues, gloves, and facemask/boonie, I met a 1.5 year old 6 pointer along a field of standing corn. I paused on my walk, but he walked directly toward me from 1 o'clock through 3 foot brush. Reaching about 25 feet, he was concerned. Being the cautious young fellow he was, he proceeded on into the complete open of blown-down corn, and circled me at 20 feet or so to get downwind at my 9:30. Only THEN did he trust his first instinct that something might'a been amiss. For a minute, being rut, I thought he was going to ask directions to the local strip club.

Old bucks do none of this.

They make mistakes sometimes and a guy gets lucky. But if you want to be "pretty good" at killing them on a regular basis, you're gonna have to figure out how to consistently present them with input situations their evolution and instincts can't overcome.

It's also helpful to become a helluva lot more conservative on what you "think will work fine".

-Nate

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Doubt you are the only "moron" here. I, for one, have been one while hunting. I've often thought about a comfy "booth" but still hang off a tree as long as my body can take it.

Top Bottom