• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Does anyone archery hunt much after firearms season is over?

I really enjoyed late doe season over the last few years, but it has gone away in our county, and given my schedule this year I will likely only make it out the last weekend of firearm season. (I can’t complain though, having just returned from an elk hunt in Colorado...)

Any tips, advice, or recommendations? Do I risk shooting bucks that have dropped their antlers already?

Thanks INGO!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    It usually depends on how the rest of the season has gone. If I haven't gotten a buck, I go out as much as I can. Evenings on a food source, preferably corn stubble, is a good bet for late season. There has been many times in the late bonus doe gun season, I have carried both gun and bow. This is ok as long as you have a license for both. If a buck came in, I would try for a bow shot. If a doe was out of bow range, I would grab the gun. As far as bucks dropping antlers, I haven't seen any that had dropped one or both sides at the end of season. I have heard guys that shot a buck late in the season and the antler "broke off" when they grabbed it to drag. I think if you are still bowhunting in the late season, they will be close enough to tell if they have dropped. Plus, the size of the deer should normally be a give away. I love hunting late season, especially with snow!! Good luck.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I hunt the late archery every year and have taken some nice bucks over the years. I have one spot that gets better the later it gets. It's a big thick area with a lot of cedar and Japanese honeysuckle, for years it has been a winter deer magnet.

You can tell a shed buck pretty easy by looking at the tarsal glands.

Late season is a challenge, by the time late December rolls around the deer are very weary. They walk in on pins and needles and the fact that the woods are bare you have little cover. Trying to draw wearing cold weather gear and not be seen is a trick as well. It's a fun, challenging time to hunt.
    The term trophy takes on a complete new meaning.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom