• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Going out for firearm season this Saturday. Which to the best of my knowledge durning the two weeks of firearm season you can only shoot a buck. I’ve been told by two different people that you can hunt for does as well during normal gun season. They swear up and down that I don’t know what I’m talking about. I read the DNR website but I didn’t read anything that clearly says you can or can’t. Am I completely wrong? Or are these guys feeding me bad information?

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    One regular antlered deer per person per year notwithstanding reduction zones and extra DNR allowed hunts (i.e. state park). At least two does per person with several counties having expanded numbers allowed. I will always urge everyone to sit down and read the literature for yourself though despite what you hear from your buddy, read on the internet, etc.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I have a lifetime license. I can harvest whatever the law allows under current licensing provisions. For once I did the smart thing when the lifetime license was still available.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE]I know I can take two does and a bucks. But I was told Iwasn’t allowed to shoot does in gun/rifle season even with the bundle

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I know I can take two does and a bucks. But I was told Iwasn’t allowed to shoot does in gun/rifle season even with the bundle

Then you were told wrong. Did you read the link I sent you? If you'd rather believe Billy Bob & Ray Ray then go ahead but the facts are on the DNR website.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    No I read it. When I was originally told that I called the DNR office some lady working there told me I wasn’t allowed to. That where my confusion came from. I read it the regulation several times. I really just wanted to make sure there wasn’t a change I wasn’t aware of before shooting does. I figured this was one of the best places to ask. I wasn't tryin to sound like I was disputing the information anyone posted. I apologize if it came across that way.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    If you have the bundle, you can take 3 anterless. OR 1 antlered and 2 anterless. That is how it is in the DNR book. The license itself is confusing. The really nice thing about the bundle is it is good for all seasons (with appropriate hunting equipment).

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you have the bundle, you can take 3 anterless. OR 1 antlered and 2 anterless. That is how it is in the DNR book. The license itself is confusing. The really nice thing about the bundle is it is good for all seasons (with appropriate hunting equipment).

Everything said above is true, with one caveat.
    You can only take 3 doe on the bundle during firearms season IF, and ONLY if, you are hunting in a county with a bonus antlerless quota of 3 or more.

I bought a license bundle.
    I have my own private land that I do not need a license to hunt.
    I also have permission to hunt a separate private property in a different county from my property.

So, my case goes as follows,
    Both counties I hunt have a bonus antlerless quota of 2, but being separate counties, with separate quotas, I can fill the bonus quotas for both counties, but I do not need to use my license on my property.
    To top that off, I took my buck (9 pointer) during the regular firearms season, and on my own property. No license used.
    I also took one doe under the bonus antlerless quota for that county, again, not using my license.
    I can still take one more doe from my property without using my license.

I can still take 2 antlerless deer from the private property I have permission to hunt, and I could take both of these during the firearms season, if I have the opportunity.
    That would still leave one unused license left on the bundle that I could use during either muzzle loader season, late archery season, or the late deer reduction hunts.

The deer license bundle is valid for all of the regular seasons, archery, firearms, and muzzle loader.
    After I fill the bundle license, if I fill it during the firearms season, I could buy more licenses and take one additional antlerless during the muzzle loader season, and yet another antlerless during the late archery season.

Regular firearms license = 1 buck, period and you're done.
    Deer license bundle = 1 antlered, and 2 antlerless, or 3 antlerless (per county quotas)
    Muzzle loader license= 1 antlered deer (if you have NOT taken an antlered deer during firearms or early archery), and one antlerless, AND bonus county quota.
    Late archery license= 1 antlered deer (if you have NOT taken an antlered deer in earlier season) and 1 antlerless deer, AND bonus county quota.

Is this all just clear as mud now?

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    It's really not nearly as complicated as people make it out to be. Firearms season is a buck only season. Your firearms tag is therefore buck only. IF you have purchased bonus tags, and live or hunt in a country with a bonus quota, then you may kill a doe using that bonus tag. That simple. (Most public land is not open to bonus tags/seasons, so if you are a public land hunter than in all likelihood this is a moot discussion and you can only kill a buck)

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    you can still harvest a doe in firearms season on public land if you have the bundle.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    you can still harvest a doe in firearms season on public land if you have the bundle.

It depends on the type of public land. You are correct for Hoosier National Forest, State Forests, etc. but some of the public properties surrounding reservoirs(Patoka for example) do not allow the use of bonus antlerless tags during firearms season.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    It depends on the type of public land. You are correct for Hoosier National Forest, State Forests, etc. but some of the public properties surrounding reservoirs(Patoka for example) do not allow the use of bonus antlerless tags during firearms season.

it wouldn't be bonus antlerless... with the bundle your allowed 1 buck 2 does regardless of season. Could shoot them all in firearms season all in bow all in muzzle or 1 in each doesn't matter. bonus antlerless would depend on your county and or hunting ground.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    it wouldn't be bonus antlerless... with the bundle your allowed 1 buck 2 does regardless of season. Could shoot them all in firearms season all in bow all in muzzle or 1 in each doesn't matter. bonus antlerless would depend on your county and or hunting ground.

No, in firearms season all anterless licenses are bonus, whether or not it came in a bundle has no bearing. You cannot kill does on parts of Patoka Reservoir property and some other properties with a firearm.

Edited to add the link I was looking for but couldn't find before posting originally. The relevant part: "Bonus antlerless licenses are NOT ALLOWED on the following properties.This includes bonus antlerless deer with a lifetime license, resident youth hunt/trap combolicense, or deer license bundle."

Last edited:
    Top Bottom