• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Not sure about this...I found this guy off a trail on our farm while heading to my stand this afternoon. Definitely a fresh kill, today. The neighbor hunting watched him walk by about 7:30am. There was plenty of shooting this morning in the area. Do you think coyotes took an otherwise healthy deer down or was he already wounded and the yotes made good use of him? I couldn’t see any signs of being shot, but there’s not much left for analysis.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    With what is remaining an autopsy would be difficult. Saw a huge number of people during my shifts this week sighting in their "deer" guns and I'm surprised we're not knee deep in deer that were victims of poorly places shots.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    More to the story...the same area has a major line of scrapes and the largest rub I’ve ever seen in 25 years of hunting. Any chance this guy was on the losing end of a battle to the death with a peer?

I know this deer in the pic was seen alive at 7:30 am yesteray. I took the pic about 1:30pm. From the location he was seen in the morning and where I found him, nobody was hunting. I’m sure if that. I guess it’s possible he was already wounded (shot) at the 7:30am sighting. No matter what, the coyotes made very quick work cleaning off the good meat.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I found a button buck that the coyotes got to. Wasn't there when I walked in the woods this morning, was there when I walked out for lunch around 11.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Coyotes don't leave much in 24 hours, and they are pretty persistent about coming back to carrion. I don't think a hunter cut that meat off.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    The only thing I’m sure is that a human didn’t cut anything off this deer. I looked that possibility over very carefully.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I found a button buck that the coyotes got to. Wasn't there when I walked in the woods this morning, was there when I walked out for lunch around 11.

Rather than walk out at 11 I would suggest you remain in your stand during mid day. Attached is a pic of a few deer I’ve taken During that time. Let other hunters leave and push deer around for you. Bucks are chasing does all day during this time of year. And, deer often get out of their bds a mid day to stretch and catch a quick bite.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe it was a good year for 'yotes last year and or the year before? I've had two of them run across the road in front of the car in recent weeks. While they are all around down here, sightings like that are rare.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Rather than walk out at 11 I would suggest you remain in your stand during mid day. Attached is a pic of a few deer I’ve taken During that time. Let other hunters leave and push deer around for you. Bucks are chasing does all day during this time of year. And, deer often get out of their bds a mid day to stretch and catch a quick bite.

I get that, I'm just not equipped for an all day sit. I would need a bigger, more comfy stand for starters. My back starts to really hurt around 3.5-4 hours. And then of course the need for bathroom facilities.

Anyhoo... the deer I found was completely gone today. No bones left where I saw it, just a little tuft of fur.

Top Bottom