Deer Heart in crock pot all day= delicious!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Had a sliced deer heart in a crock pot all day with potatoes, carrots, black pepper, salt, can of mushroom soup, and some Irish butter.

Cooked on low for 11 hours. Cut with your fork.

There were no leftovers.

Now I'm hungry.

:ingo:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    We fry it... sliced thin. Wouldn’t mind trying it in the crock pot. Skeptical at first...... my 5yo daughter will jump in a gut pile to get the heart out of it now

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've hunted for roughly 15 years. Never tried the heart. Maybe next year I should.

I've never taken the time to fish it out of the gut pile. Regular deer meet cooked in a crock pot after sauteed in butter and onions is good with cream of mushroom soup in the pot. I think of it as hillbilly stroganof on noodles.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    I've hunted for roughly 15 years. Never tried the heart. Maybe next year I should.
    Yes you should!! The heart is fantastic. It is a muscle, like every cut of meat on an animal. It is not like other organs (liver, kidneys, etc.).
    Cooking slow in the crock pot is great, comes out like roast beef. I like to marinade and grill heart, comes out like flank steak.
    Easy to prepare: cut off the top at the fat line, then trim off the fat and trim out the 'heart strings'. They are like tendons, connective tissue, that connect the heart muscle to the valves in the heart. Tough like silverskin but very easy to trim out when you butterfly the heart lengthwise. Find a youtube video or two to get the visual of what needs to be done. Here's a little info and great recipe.
    https://honest-food.net/grilled-deer-heart-recipe/

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Yes you should!! The heart is fantastic. It is a muscle, like every cut of meat on an animal. It is not like other organs (liver, kidneys, etc.).
    Cooking slow in the crock pot is great, comes out like roast beef. I like to marinade and grill heart, comes out like flank steak.
    Easy to prepare: cut off the top at the fat line, then trim off the fat and trim out the 'heart strings'. They are like tendons, connective tissue, that connect the heart muscle to the valves in the heart. Tough like silverskin but very easy to trim out when you butterfly the heart lengthwise. Find a youtube video or two to get the visual of what needs to be done. Here's a little info and great recipe.
    https://honest-food.net/grilled-deer-heart-recipe/

Yes, prep take a few minutes to cut out the 'strings', etc. We sliced it up into 3-4 large pieces.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I lived in western Maryland for 10 years, and the locals all talked about pickling deer hearts. I never tried it but even non-hunters were always asking for hearts.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It is striated like skeletal muscle tissue.
    So if trimmed up should be OK, might not get much of a yield though, with a big hole through it ;)
    Have never tried it.
    This years was blasted w bone/bullet jacket fragments.
    As for organs, like liver and other..............not even from domestic animals.
    And I spent some of my childhood on the farm.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    It is striated like skeletal muscle tissue.
    So if trimmed up should be OK, might not get much of a yield though, with a big hole through it ;)
    Have never tried it.
    This years was blasted w bone/bullet jacket fragments.
    As for organs, like liver and other..............not even from domestic animals.
    And I spent some of my childhood on the farm.

Deer liver and onions are delicious. I'd have to start head shooting them to eat the heart.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Anyone buy the "Meat Eater" cook book that just came out?
    I did not.... and I love the show. Its nice seeing someones insight into why they hunt. I think theres quite a few hunters with his mindset. But the only ones that get put on TV are the "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BIG BUCK DOWN GLAD I PASSED ON THAT 3000 pointer now I have another 5000 point"

That being said I will need to scan through the cookbook before commiting to buy because even his "Camp" meals are elaborate. Which im not scared of but don't want a whole book that I need to make 2 trips to the grocery store for something out of the ordinary.

Top Bottom