• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Looking for advice given there are tons of options... building a 300blk pistol for whitetail. Curious what bullet style and weight would be best. Looking at subsonic rounds. They have from 185g - 220g and they have numerous different bullet styles. hollow point being the cheapest then soft point then gets into the ballistic plastic tips.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Looking for advice given there are tons of options... building a 300blk pistol for whitetail. Curious what bullet style and weight would be best. Looking at subsonic rounds. They have from 185g - 220g and they have numerous different bullet styles. hollow point being the cheapest then soft point then gets into the ballistic plastic tips.

Most recommend not using subsonic for deer. Most bullets don’t expand at subsonic velocities and will act like FMJ. Le-heigh defense makes one that is supposed to, check it out, but I’ve never used it. I’ve loaded 110gr Barnes Tac-tx 2200 FPS, designed for 300 BLK.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Can’t help with the subsonic part. I really like the Barnes VOR-TX 110 grain. I have had very good penetration and expansion out of my 10.5” barrel. These are very accurate in my gun.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I am seeing mixed reviews online for using subsonic rounds on the deer. Seems the bullet choice is crucial, but I am just now getting into gun hunting and have been hunting with a broadhead for the past 5years. So shots will be conservative, I wish I reloaded ammo I have found some awesome bullets (outlaw state) that claim to expand at 800fps. I figure going with any ballistic tip either hornady or Winchester will give decent results. I was just looking for actual user reviews or ammo maybe a little less mainstream.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Can’t help with the subsonic part. I really like the Barnes VOR-TX 110 grain. I have had very good penetration and expansion out of my 10.5” barrel. These are very accurate in my gun.

I love them. My 9” barrel was shooting most everything 5 MOA at 100. Did Scott Satterlee load development and found a velocity node at 19.6gr lil gun. Shoots 2 MOA out of 9” barrel point blank to 100, 1.5 MOA drop at 150 and 4.5 MOA drop at 200. Out of a 9” gun ringing steel every shot.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Barnes 110 or Hornaday 125 SST would be my first choice

Want to go a bit healthier than a 150 Gameking should be good

I would stay supersonic otherwise it's a 45acp:noway:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Barnes VOR-TX 110gr is awesome for deer.

Do some calculations on the energy for subsonic Blackout rounds. 1000 ft/lbs is generally considered the minimum for whitetail, and subsonic is going to be around half that. :dunno:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Been doing quite a bit of research and seems to be very controversial. As long as I use the proper bullet at the proper distance I am failing to see the issue. Every gun has an effective range. Seems under 100yds for 300subs

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    IMO, you have received some very good advice on bullet selection. The problem with heavy sub sonic bullets is not that they will likely perform like a fmj, that is close to best case performance. The real problem is that bullets that are barely stable in air can become a lot less so when they encounter tissue. Bullets that become unstable in tissue may not reliably track straight or penetrate deeply. It is never a good idea to tempt Murphy.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Using supers with a can still sounded like it was hearing safe to me. I like the 220gr subs for making movie sounding shots, but when I complete testing my rig for reliability I will stick with the 110 gr supers for HD and white tail.

DapperDan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    On the Indiana dnr page it says all rifle have to have a barrel length of 16”. Is it legal to use a 300blk in a pistol configuration to hunt with? As in shorter barrel with a brace?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have no experience with subs, but have a lot of experience with hunting deer with bolt action pistols. My 7br would run a 150 grain bullet at 1700 fps and they never expanded. I switched to Nosler ballistic tips and had marginally better success . You've been given good advice, typical bullets (not ballistic tip) are not designed to expand at low velocities. Manufacturers may make that claim, but I've trailed several deer for 400+ yards and my experience shows otherwise. There's a reason why most 300 BLK ammo runs 2200 fps, similar to 7.62x39 rounds. And they shoot better. The competition guys I shoot with may run subs, but they have the advantage of knowing the fixed distance to the target. New Hornady Black ammo is 208 grain and they list a 100 yard zero, 12.5" of drop at 150 and 33.5" drop at 200. I can't imagine trying to guess the distance and corresponding drop to make a killing shot on a deer walking at an angle somewhere between 150 & 200 yards.

OTOH, I've taken deer and coyotes out to 165 with my 300 and 130 grain bullets pushed by 18-19 grains of 296. All were one shot kills, the last one had to go thru the shoulder bone on the way to the heart. Run supers for clean harvest.:twocents:

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm gearing up for a prairie dog hunt next year and am wondering if using subsonic with a 300 blkout would work.... smaller animal, thinner hide perhaps.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If boiled down to the most basic of premises.... the bullet which will allow you the highest likelihood of punching a hole through the heart of a whitetail at whatever distance you deem reasonable is your best option. As with stopping men, shot placement is everything. While I'd never advocate using a FMJ round for hunting I'd take a sub MOA FMJ round through the heart over a 5 MOA expandable round every time. The best case scenario is to find a round/load which will perform both in the accuracy department as well as the expansion/weight retention/penetration department.

Top Bottom