• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Bought my daughter (5) a 2017 g2 bear cruzer. Orange camo bought second hand from a guy who bought it and never used.

She REALLY wants a purple camo one.... I put the orange one in her hand at bass pro never showed her the purple she held
    it said she really liked it.. asked her in the car she said it was REALLY nice but liked the purple one that was on the rack..
    my daughter doesn’t ask for much so I am a sucker....

all that to ask is the bear cruzer g2 strictly a woman/youth bow? Or if I set it at max weight and length could I use it as my first bow? I am 6’2” not sure how to measure draw length if it will even accommodate my gangly arms?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Get her the purple camo one (we both know you're going to...;)), then take both of yourselves to a real pro-shop and get the bows set up for you both by a PROFESSIONAL...that does not generally include the dude at Dick's, or whatever box store (though there have been exceptions).

Get decent sights, and decent stabilizers, but keep the gadgets to a minimum for now.

Spend more money on MORE arrows for her. A dozen for you, 2 dozen for her, and then spend money on gas, etc. to go places where you can shoot...unless you are blessed enough to own a space of your own to shoot at stumps, twigs, pieces of bark, squirrels, etc.

-Nat

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I bought the ready to hunt model so has all the gizmos I would need except the release. We have land to shoot, have 2 3d targets already. I was just worried the G2 wasn't a strong enough bow for me.... but now I am seeing anything over 40# is acceptable. This one is set at 69# right now and I can pull back pretty easily.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well plan is to take the orange bow in see if it will fit me..... if so I will have that one setup for me and order the one she wants from the shop I will be using.

if it won’t fit me..... then I need a plan B

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My guess is that it should fit you. As long as your self measurement is close, it will fit. Most bows will actually measure longer than advertised. That's how they get the extra speed to advertise. Definitely get measured by a shop, then get the bow set up for your length. A big, and probably the worst, mistake is shooting a bow too long. A couple of slaps on the forearm will make you not want to shoot anymore. Another thing you might want to do is turn the poundage down a little bit. It might be easy to pull back, but you will get tired faster than you think. This will cause bad form. I would turn it down to 60# and get used to it. Come spring or summer, turn it back up if you want. Good luck and shoot straight!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Archery

Well plan is to take the orange bow in see if it will fit me..... if so I will have that one setup for me and order the one she wants from the shop I will be using.

if it won’t fit me..... then I need a plan B

You don’t mention where you are located. There are a couple of good bow shops in central Indiana. Probably southern part of the state as well. Further north has Bass ‘N Bucks near Wabash.

Regardless, I’d bet there is a knowledgeable INGO archer somewhere near you that would be more than happy to meet with you and answer most of your questions and give you some valuable tips/advice. Perhaps list your location and do a shout-out to possibly meet up.

Just a thought

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My guess is that it should fit you. As long as your self measurement is close, it will fit. Most bows will actually measure longer than advertised. That's how they get the extra speed to advertise. Definitely get measured by a shop, then get the bow set up for your length. A big, and probably the worst, mistake is shooting a bow too long. A couple of slaps on the forearm will make you not want to shoot anymore. Another thing you might want to do is turn the poundage down a little bit. It might be easy to pull back, but you will get tired faster than you think. This will cause bad form. I would turn it down to 60# and get used to it. Come spring or summer, turn it back up if you want. Good luck and shoot straight!

This good advice, 60 pounds is plenty to cleanly kill deer and it is more important to develop good form and habitats than shooting a heavier poundage. If/when you can hold your sight pin on the target and draw straight back repeatedly for an entire shooting session, then you might be ready for more weight. Keep in mind though that is far easier to draw heavier weight in warm weather and indoors than it will be out in the cold while hunting.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Thanks for all the advice. I have been hunting with a cheapo crossbow for 5 years because I have serious back issues.... I assumed it would be easier on me than a compound. Then I bought this bow for my daughter and it doesn't stress/stretch my back like I thought so I am ready to take the plunge. Not to mention lugging the xbow into the field is quite the experience I am in NWI and will be going to a local shop. Sportsmens den in Cedar Lake IN

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Until you can easily shoot 50 accurate arrows at a time in practice, you aren't ready for more draw weight on a deer stand in the cold. Unless of course you set up a stand and practice in the cold in all your actual hunting gear, which while being a wonderful plan, usually proves impractical.

Some other ideas for fun things to shoot with your daughter:

--Get ping-pong balls and hang them on fishing line in front of the target.

--Hang a rope with a tennis ball on the end (and shoot at the rope).

--Shoot at a simple piece of blank paper, but "draw" smiley faces on it with arrows (you will need to pin the paper down well, or use cardboard).

--For now, she can shoot at her own arrows. Later on, Dad's wallet may not think that the split arrows and ruined vanes are such a good idea, but shooting at tiny point targets like the nock of the previous arrow teaches a lot of discipline on the trigger, and teaches/physically conditions her hold radius to be much smaller.

--"Know your limits" type targets with decreasing size points of aim can be fun for some people. I think it's boring, but I'm not everybody.

--Finally, I mentioned it above a little, going into the woods with your bows and a quiver of field points, you can play "horse" with your daughter. She calls a target somewhere within safe distance (and Dad okay's shooting at it...since it might be a rock). She tries her best to estimate the distance to that target, and takes a careful shot. Dad follows. No range finders allowed.

Targets to be shot can be basically anything that can be shot without either losing an arrow, destroying an arrow, or risking sending an arrow in an unsafe direction.

Field shooting like this is irreplaceable at becoming good AT field shooting, in my opinion. It's the same as "target" rifle shooting...if all a girl wants to be able to do is shoot targets on a square target range for square range shooting's sake, then all she needs to do is that...but if she wants to be a well-rounded shooter, she'll have to broaden her horizons as to what can be shot and how to do it, and sooner rather than later.

-Nate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I have never drawn w my sight pin on the target.

Close to it, kinda staged, but more just being pretty level, not trying to put my pin on the freakin' target.
    Draw w a push pull method.

Stump shooting (roving and picking out make up targets in the woods) is fun, and carbons are more durable.......but they tend to slide and skip a longer ways.
    If going to do that, my suggestion is Zwickey Judo points.

3D shoots are a lot of fun, well they used to be. They have lost their hunting roots IMHO and now you get stuck behind a group w umbrellas, binoculars and they take forever..........it's more like sitting in the woods and taking a shot once in a while.

This the trophy shoots.

Some ranges are open weekly, so you can just pay and shoot with a bud, keep score...........even make up own shots if it looks too easy or too tough.
    THAT is the way to do it IMHO.

As far as judging yardage by such practice, eh.......it helps but isn't great because you will be learning those targets (shape, size, color) and terrain.
    You'll need to hit different ranges and targets to better hone that skill.

Getting good on one's home course usually doesn't help when afield.

But today laser rangefinders are cheap and everywhere.
    If hunting just have one in your pocket. If it's far enough you need to range it, you probably have time to do so.
    Eh, most folks kill their deer under 20 yards.

Lots of unseen little branches the farther out you go.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I draw slow, push pull, almost level. Looks the same be it low or heavy poundage.
    Tends to fool people.

LOL I remember when Lengel's sold bows, had the 100# Hoyt by the front door.
    I was shooting an 82# Mach 4 indoors and 3d.
    Drew it smooth and almost level (even though my draw length was 28, and that bow was 30).
    I drew it right handed a couple of times and some folks laughed.
    So I switched and drew it same way, left handed.

And I'm a scrawny guy (well used to be LOL).
    My ol lady did phys stuff in college, watched me shoot early on, hot summer day.........said my back was crazy, two big ropes and stuff popping out.
    Said I was a freak.

Maybe, but I thought I just shot bows all the time.

BTW, my coworker, built like a tree...........bought that Hoyt ProHunter 100# rig and shot it at 90#.
    I wonder if he still has it (moved to Michigan).

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I broke down I ordered my daughter the Muddy Girl camo bear g2 cruzer. Now I have a blaze orange bear g2 cruzer that I am going to set up for myself when my daughters comes in for her birthday. Now my problem is when I contacted the archery pro shop about setting up the cruzer for me they said since I am so tall 6'2" that the cruzer being such a short bow will feel awkward to me. This is my first bow..... is it going to be a problem it being to small or something I wont notice since I have never handled another?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A short bow will have a more acute string angle at full draw.
    No doubt you will be using a string loop and mechanical release.

How/where you anchor.........short bows may have you having to move your head a bit.
    Loved my 37" Hoyt Protec. Head upright, relaxed, draw back and it was "there".

Seen lots of big guys shooting short bows, tilt head to get nose on string. Seems to work for them.
    Having shot longer axle to axle for many years, yes, a short bow for me is awkward.

I don't like changing my anchor point or head position.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, warm weather T shirt shooting to bundled up cold weather in a deer stand...........I don't feel a draw weight difference.

My buddy coudn't get his 60# bow back one late season hunt. Think the type/size of clothing was the problem.
    He wears some $$$ coveralls. Think some $$$ dinners has them a bit on the small side LOL

I tend to freeze late season, always have. Do try to remain flexible/mobile......so possibly underdress.
    No bow draw issues though.

Puffy coats mandate an armguard, and even then you gotta keep an eye on it (can slide down/coat bunch up).
    Since I shoot more off the front of my face, I get more arm clearance (plus I'm kinda scrawny). Makes my draw length a little shorter, but is comfy and works for me, has for 35 years.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Go to Riverside Archery in Sumava. Its a dumpy area but don't let that fool you. Its a nice shop and he has experience. He is good and has a nice indoor and outdoor range. Even has a big sasquatch target to shoot at. I had him make my wife and I some arrows and set up a few bows. Will be taking kids back to shoot this spring.

He might take trades. Trade him up and get what you want or sell it. He may do a consignment for you.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    cg I don’t think there is any reason you could not set that bow up and shoot it for awhile even though it may be short for you. If that’s what it takes for you to get started go for it. Please make sure you have arrows cut to a safe length and cannot overdraw them putting you in a dangerous situation.
    You can move into a properly sized bow when you have the desire and/or money. You then will be able to see how well a bow set up for you can shoot and really dial up your accuracy.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    cg I don’t think there is any reason you could not set that bow up and shoot it for awhile even though it may be short for you. If that’s what it takes for you to get started go for it. Please make sure you have arrows cut to a safe length and cannot overdraw them putting you in a dangerous situation.
    You can move into a properly sized bow when you have the desire and/or money. You then will be able to see how well a bow set up for you can shoot and really dial up your accuracy.

The bow is brand new... so selling it would be best now before I used it. But I do have another child..... I just don’t want her only getting second hand stuff lol problem is bigger than just the short bow!

Top Bottom