Interesting read on the new golden triangle of whitetail hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting.

I can tell you that I was pretty surprised at how small the deer were in Texas compared to the ones we have here.

Not everything is bigger there. :D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Interesting.

I can tell you that I was pretty surprised at how small the deer were in Texas compared to the ones we have here.

I went to alabama last year. A buddy (from here) and I were bored, and went to a local fishing/hunting shop. They had a thing called "the bragging board" where folks would put trail cam pics, or kill pics. I was looking through it, and there were some fine bucks, but the buck in the top of the picture tree was 130-135. Like I said, fine buck anywhere, but its not going to be the talk of the town in Indiana. An employee came up to chat while were were looking at it, and Of course, we had to pop out our cell phones with trail cam pictures. We spent the 20 minutes chatting with 10 guys who were glued to our phone's with their mouth opening.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    South Carolina has whitetail deer that are about he same size as a large german shepard.
    Mature deer down there peobably don't top 100lbs.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    A guy in Georgia shot this Nov 5 and posted to the 6.5 Grendel page.

45459411_10219331502985271_4555338847822544896_n.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Interesting.

The first time I hunted deer in Texas my buddy and I went on a post rut management hunt in the Brush Country of south Texas. The first evening we got back to the hunt headquarters as the biologists were processing a buck killed by one of the Texans on the hunt. IIRC, it was aged at 2.5, weighed 60 lbs. dressed and was our first close up look at "Texas" sized deer. My buddy, who often has no filter, blurted out "Our button bucks weigh more than that" and got some dirty looks. ;) I ended up killing the biggest bodied buck taken on that hunt, it was aged at 5.5 and dressed a whopping 105 lbs. The biologists were very happy to see such a "huge" bodied buck taken on the property.

Fast forward several years and the same buddy and I are on another deer hunt in the Hill Country. The first evening my buddy shot a young basket rack 8 pointer that weighed 60 lbs. I couldn't help myself, I said "You know, that is almost as big as our button bucks back home!":):

Everything is not bigger in Texas but I'm becoming convinced that the meat of everything is tougher!

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    That is just the kind of article I absolutely hate to see. Every year it's harder to find places to hunt privately, and more and more out of state trucks are showing up on the public ground. Every article or TV show that features Indiana just equals less opportunity for the average guy and moves hunting a little closer to a wealthy only past time. People are all worried about declining hunter numbers, well imo trophy deer hunting plays a big part in that. Just in the last 25 years land access has dropped considerably, and God forbid if you try to hunt anything other than deer from October to January, I've literally had people scream at me for trying to squirrel hunt. I love to hunt, and I do quite a bit of deer hunting, but I do miss the days when it wasn't quite such a religion.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I love to squirrel hunt but like to wait till after First good freeze which usually means deer season has started and I feel as if I can’t go hunt because I walk and hunt and I do not want to disturb others hunting. So sadly my hunting now days is usually between Christmas and New Years when most deer hunters are done.

Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    Last hunt I did was down in FL, deer were pretty small. Hope to see some bigger whitetail next year in IN

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    That is just the kind of article I absolutely hate to see. Every year it's harder to find places to hunt privately, and more and more out of state trucks are showing up on the public ground. Every article or TV show that features Indiana just equals less opportunity for the average guy and moves hunting a little closer to a wealthy only past time. People are all worried about declining hunter numbers, well imo trophy deer hunting plays a big part in that. Just in the last 25 years land access has dropped considerably, and God forbid if you try to hunt anything other than deer from October to January, I've literally had people scream at me for trying to squirrel hunt. I love to hunt, and I do quite a bit of deer hunting, but I do miss the days when it wasn't quite such a religion.

Yep, used to hunt 300 acres, one day the farmer get a hold of me and says a group of men from Florida are offering him big money to lease his property and...... I was gone.

Top Bottom