• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhinestone Pete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    Well, I finally decided to take some time off work and do some prairie dog "hunting". Fly into Denver and drive to Eads, Co. from June 5-8. Any tips or info from any prairie dog hunter veterans welcome. I've been putting it off way too long and decided to book it now so it's set in stone! I'm also headed out by myself and if anyone wants to join me, that's fine with me. Of course you pay your own way. Flight cost isn't all that bad and there is a discounted rate for additional hunters. I may give coyote hunt a try for a day too. If anyone wants to check them out, I'm going to this outfitter: KB Style Adventures | Colorado Hunting Outfitter for Coyote, Prairie Dog Hunts, Pheasant

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Take multiple guns so you don't over heat them. Make sure you have a steady rest.
    A .204 or super fast cartridge provides the most "pop" the .204 is my favorite. Take something to give you some shade.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Good optics is a must for me . My first time out I took my AR with a 4-12x40 Nikon scope , it served me well , but the next year I put a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 . What a difference ! You spend a ton time looking through a scope , so a crystal clear optic is so much easier on the eyes . Don't forget plenty of ammo . If it's a good year for dogs , I can go through 300+ rounds a day .

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    V-max's out of a 223 make em pop pretty good.
    Shade and lots of water
    I need to go again. We went out by Wall South Dakota for a week about 10yrs ago.

Rhinestone Pete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    The .458 will be in "bed" till next fall, it may see some hog action later this year before deer are back in season. And I'm sure it'll see some exploding melons just to make sure the action is still functional later summer.
    I'm debating on whether to take 1 or 2 rigs. Definitely taking the 700PSS .223, it loves the Hornady 55gr V-Max and it's topped with a Viper 6-24x50 gen 1. Second rig may be my new build in 6.5 Creedmoor, 700 BAT Tactical action built by Synergy Arms topped with a Kahles 624i. Factory Hornady 140 ELD Match ammo is awesome out of this one. Of course both rigs will be suppressed.

Rhinestone Pete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm sure it's not a "necessity", but my understanding is the the closer range p-dogs are less likely to go down in their holes. I can add on to my hunting party and my guide will accommodate up to 3 hunters. Rate will also go down too per hunter.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The .458 will be in "bed" till next fall, it may see some hog action later this year before deer are back in season. And I'm sure it'll see some exploding melons just to make sure the action is still functional later summer.
    I'm debating on whether to take 1 or 2 rigs. Definitely taking the 700PSS .223, it loves the Hornady 55gr V-Max and it's topped with a Viper 6-24x50 gen 1. Second rig may be my new build in 6.5 Creedmoor, 700 BAT Tactical action built by Synergy Arms topped with a Kahles 624i. Factory Hornady 140 ELD Match ammo is awesome out of this one. Of course both rigs will be suppressed.

Both sound like nice rigs. I know you where debating on your next rig, went with the 6.5 CM huh? The 6.5 will definitely get you out there further, but it's hard to beat the cheapness of .223 ammo. Even the good .223 stuff is cheaper than the average 6.5 stuff.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    are suppressors a necessity for a dog hunt? I'm in the planning stages.

Not a necessity , but it makes it damn nice not having to wear ear protection for hours on end ! It helps with the dogs as well , not a bunch but it definitely helps . They're not quite as skittish and don't stay down in the holes quite as long after shooting .

Top Bottom