• ...and so much more!
  • Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Hello everyone,

Lately I’ve been wanting to go squirrel hunting which is something I haven’t don’t since I was 10-12 years old. Unfortunately, my old trusty H&R .410 was stolen a couple years ago. And currently I do not have anything really appropriate for small game. I was looking at a Mossberg 500 in .410 or possibly a newer .22lr Marlin Model 60 (I don’t know much about current Marlin quality). I was curious if there are any small game hunters here and what gun you’re using to hunt with? I’m looking to pick something up tomorrow or this weekend and can’t make up my mind on what I want and was looking for some suggestion from my fellow Hoosiers. Thanks in advance.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Depends on where I am going but early season I use a 16ga SXS, late season when the leaves start to fall a ruger 77/17hm2. I have also in the past used a ruger 10/22, browning bl17, h&r handi in 17hm2 and 17hmr and S&W 15-22. The 10-22 is probably the most versatile rimfire. They are pretty light also so easy to carry around the woods.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Model 60 isn't a bad first choice and is definitely economical. Parts are available to improve the trigger. Upping the budget expands your choices and improves the probable accuracy, of course, but the economy of that improvement depends on how much hunting you intend to do and how serious you intend to get about it. I've owned rimfires from $125 to $3500 b4 the scope goes on. CZ and Tikka both have new rimfires in the pipeline around $500 and the Tikka I can say is a value at that price. I've not laid hands on one of the new CZ's yet.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'd do the Marlin or a 10/22. If you want to use for rabbit add a red dot and pack a pocket full of shells. I think rabbit hunting with a 22 auto is about as much fun as you can have. I prefer the marlin since it's holds a few more shells than the standard rotary ruger mag.

If you want to make sure to bag some then the .410. I'd do maybe an Rem 870 and that would also be a fine quail gun.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I recommend staying away from rifles. Squirrels don't sit still long enough for a good shot and are unsafe in most areas. I running a used Benelli Nova pump gun in 20ga. They can be bought fairly cheap and are tough as nails. Pick up a rifle later as a second choice if you want to up your sniper game.

20ga shells are a fraction of the cost of 410.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's a good point about the safety aspect of launching .22's upward. You HAVE to know where your bullet will stop when you pull the trigger.

All the squirrels I've taken in recent years have been with the Shadow 1000 air rifle.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    A 20ga or any 22LR will do you well. For scopes keep the power at 4x or lower for better field of view finding your quarry. I tried going back to a shotgun earlier this year for squirrels and hate it. I would rather stalk and wait for a safe shot than pick out pellets.

I have used single shots, bolts, and semi-auto rimfires for squirrel. My current favorites are the 10/22 and a Savage FVSR. The Marlin 60 or 795 are great options too, and are a little slimmer and lighter. Accuracy for hunting out to 30 yards or so are easily doable with any of these. My only gripe about the Savage is the magazine design is not as good as Marlin, CZ, or Marlin.

If your eyes are good enough, the CZ has the best factory open sight in the rimfire market right now. Look at the LUX model.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    If I go the shot gun route (I’ll probably end up with a .22lr and shotgun) Is it best to go .410 or .20gauge or will a 12 gauge be just as fine? I have two 12 gauges at home one and Old wingmaster pump and another a Mossberg 930 both 12 ga. My biggest concern is safety as I hunt on public land and two having enough meat after it’s shot. If I can’t eat it no point in hunting it IMO.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    I know this are basic questions and I’ve read about 100 debates on what’s best but most articles I find don’t touch on a lot of things I’m thinking about. Mostly they talk about range of a certain caliber and what part of the season best for a shotgun

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    Unless you are looking for a reason to get a new gun a 12ga is fine, especially if you already have one. Get the sights that snap onto the rib (one of the ways I used to hunt squirrel) and find exactly where it patterns. Then when you have a closer shot you can lead ahead of the squirrel and most of the shot will be in the head and front shoulder area. Longer shots will still present a center aim shot with minimal pellets. Use 7.5 shot and low brass shells (target shells are fine). I have also found that sometimes with the shotgun a follow up shot is needed because the pellets with incapacitate but not always humanely kill. This is why I prefer a 22LR with hollow points and head shots. For that matter, if you are capable of that accuracy a 17HMR or 22WMR will also work when taking head shots as well as give more capability for slightly larger game like coon, fox, and such.

You could always look at the Savage 42 that is a .410 shotgun and 22LR over/under combo gun. It will allow for snap shots at close range with the 410, and more precise shots with the LR if they are still or just a little further out.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Marlin Model 60, Ruger American, Ruger 10/22, CZ 455/452 are all great choices. Hunting with a 22 allows you to become a better, more patient, hunter and is what I’ll always recommend. People say they are more dangerous, but making a good shot in the first place should be the real concern.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Since I already have a shotgun I’m at a shop now looking between a CZ 455 for $414 plus tax. Which can shoot .17 hmr .22WMR AND .22LR. Or a Marlin XT22 in .22 mag for $ 315. The CZ is a little more than I wanted to spend but new marlins concern me because they just aren’t the quality they used to be. Anyone have any options on these two firearms or experience?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My Marlin Model 60 has killed untold numbers of squirrels. I also have a old single shot .410 I use when the leaves are on the trees. I also have a nice pellet rifle (Crossman) and it's brought home the squirrels as well. Like already said...the Ruger 10/22 is a killer.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    If I go the shot gun route (I’ll probably end up with a .22lr and shotgun) Is it best to go .410 or .20gauge or will a 12 gauge be just as fine? I have two 12 gauges at home one and Old wingmaster pump and another a Mossberg 930 both 12 ga. My biggest concern is safety as I hunt on public land and two having enough meat after it’s shot. If I can’t eat it no point in hunting it IMO.

No reason to buy anything unless you just have an itch. I almost always grab my 30 year old 870 12 gauge for squirrels and wabbits.

Top Bottom