• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Thinking of doing a trip somewhere with my dad for fishing. I have thought of simple guided walleye fishing in Michigan or Wisconsin but I have always wanted to do a fly-in to a wilderness style lake.
    Anyone with experience in a trip like this care to share some knowledge on areas or hosts. Thinking of a 3to5 day trip for a cost of no more than 2,000.
    Just trying to start some homework on this idea. Thanks

What didn’t you like about your trip and how was your success rate.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've done a few fly-ins with my FIL. A couple were at lodges, and one was a bare-bones cabin. NOT cheap.

We have also stayed at a couple of drive-up lodges. Less expensive, but still not cheap.

The drive-in lodges were up at Sioux Lookout. Fireside Lodge. Nice place. Also stayed at the Moosehorn. Looks like they have a newer lodge now, and all new cabins. MUCH nicer than a decade or more ago. Rates are pretty reasonable, too.

The remote cabin was the best fishing of my life. We actually got tired of fishing, we caught so much. HUGE stuff, too. Ate like kings that week. Had a bear hanging around the cabin, moose tracks down by the shore, bald eagles waiting to clean up our "fish guts", and otters stole our lunch (never leave fish on the stringer for more than a minute). There was one AM radio station, or shortwave. No other human contact that week. Didn't even see another plane. NO one else on the lake (only 2 other cabins).

https://www.moosehorn.net
    https://firesidelodge.com
    https://www.nestorfalls.com (I don't see the little cabin we stayed at, but that was 20 years ago)
    Rusty Myers Flying Services | Fly in Outpost | Fly in Camps | Rusty Myers Outpost Camps (we stayed at the Green Island Lodge)

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    The remote cabin was the best fishing of my life. We actually got tired of fishing, we caught so much.
    Thats what I’m talking about!
    Thanks for the info I will search it out when I get on my laptop.

One of the first searches I came across was this place .....https://lochisland.com/

But there are so many links and company’s to search out. It’s nice to hear hands on experience.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I did a fly in with Wilderness North a couple years ago. https://wildernessnorth.com/

Great experience but I don't think you're going to find a fly in for 2k or less.

We did a 5 day at Miminiska because it had a lodge and bar, showers and toilets (my requirement). Four guys and we estimate that we caught @ 2800 fish, all but two pike and walleyes. No walleyes smaller than 14 inches and everyone caught at least one 40+" Northern.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Hoosier Carry,
    Your $2K/ person budget will be hard to do for a fly-in lodge. If you do find one, it will be a bare bones cabin where you cook for yourself. But I have good news!

There is an American (former US Army) who runs a camp up in Jellicoe, Ontario you can drive right to. It is situated on a lake with pike, walleyes and Lake trout. You can canoe out at night and cast to trout. I have camped there with my woodstove and tent and I have stayed at the cabins. Chad will take care of you if you want a guide on the bigger lakes. He has boats and motors. I brought my pack canoe as I was chasing big brookies in some smaller lakes.There is a close lake with 3+ lb brookies in it. There are also a large amount of grouse there. A 4WD vehicle with some clearance would be good to get back to some of the lakes and ponds as it is all gravel logging roads when you leave the blacktop. Check out Pasha Lake Cabins site on line.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I've been once back in June '12. We drove to Minaki, ON and then a 20 minute plane ride to the cabin. Was there a week and the fishing wasn't the best but it was also a little warm. By the time we figured the walleye out it was about time to leave. The cabin we stayed in was nice. Good kitchen, 4 bedroom, 2 bath (on demand water heater) and a grille on the back deck. From Sullivan I believe it was an 1,100 mile drive. I don't remember what I had in that trip but it was more than $2k including everything.

The cabin
    IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0192 LAKE.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Only done it once. Went with White River Air to their Shekak Lake outpost. Incredible trip.

They typically take a minimum of 6 people to that lake. But we went the last week of September into the 1st week of October. Really into hunting season for them, flying moose hunters in and out. They don't hunt moose there, the cabin would be sitting empty, so they made 4 of us a great deal.

They warned us fishing would be not so good. I asked what good fishing there was. They said, 4 guys, 5 days, should boat 500 walleyes. I said, ok, what's not so good? They said, you'll be luck to catch 250. We could live with that. And that's about what we caught. Also numerous 40+ inch pike.

They did ask us to bring a chainsaw, since they hadn't made it up there to cut firewood.:n00b:

I was not excited about chainsawing and wood splitting that far from medical attention, but we survived.

Follow this guy, Mike Borger, on FaceBook, if you do FaceBook.

If not, this is his website, Canada Fishing Guide. He is a wealth of knowledge, super friendly and helpful.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just to keep the thread going, found a few pics from one of my trips. Even found a bonus INGO Easter egg, of sorts.

N8sc78l.jpg

fl8kPzb.jpg

N4PNIE1.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    This is the lodge at Shekak Lake...

FgZap62.jpg

Electric, via generator. Shower and hot water, flush toilet, via pumping lake water to water tower. Propane refrigerator/freezer. Bunks for up to 12.

FzUVr12.jpg

Nice kitchen with everything you could need. We sooooooooo overpacked on food.

Top Bottom