• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I was reading through the latest DNR regs for an entirely different reason and this stood out to me. If I read this correctly, a Glock 23 would technically be a legal deer pistol, correct? Even though case length is too short, the specific callout for 40 S&W, and the 4.02" barrel should be good to go, right?

Legal handguns can be used to hunt deer during the firearms, reduction zone from Nov. 17, 2018 – Jan. 31, 2019 (in zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm), and special antlerless seasons.

Handguns, other than muzzleloading handguns, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. There is no maximum cartridge length for those used in handguns. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches. (A rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches is not considered a handgun.)

Handguns are not permitted for hunting on any military areas.

Some handgun cartridges that are legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett.

State law also legalizes a handgun that fires the 10mm Auto and 40 Smith & Wesson cartridge.

Some handgun cartridges that are illegal for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yes, it's been kicked around more than Blazer aluminum cases laying on the firing line.

The 10mm auto cartridge didn't meet the old case spec of 1.16" min
    The 10mm reportedly hot enough to do the job, so there was an exception made for it.

Initially written such that it allowed the .40 S&W even though not specifically named.

Dunno if what you pasted is a DNR clarification or the law was re-written to actually name the 40 S&W as deer legal.

It's legal if in a 4" or longer bbl

Waiting for somebody to give a report on the effectiveness.

Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Having seen what a G20 10mm does with a perfect heart shot on a small-ish deer, going with an even lower powered round from a short barrel, I would only count on a heart or head shot as being a reliable one-shot-stop.

I’m not confident enough to guarantee that, so I wouldn’t hunt with one. However, if someone is Mr. Deadeye, to each their own.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Well bullets can do silly things and deer don't read the handgun magazines.
    Placement is a biggie, but doesn't control all.
    Waiting for .40 S&W kills.
    Who knows, maybe somebody will take some time to properly examine/document their results.

Watched a vid where a dude smokes a deer w 10mm auto.
    Drops it right there.

Claims awesome power of the 10mm.

He hit the spine, almost shot over the deer.

I like field results to be a bit more honest than that.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I cc a g23 in the woods during firearms season. It’s primary purpose is self defense, but it’s very handy vs carrying rifle if I have to track and dispatch a wounded deer. I’m not adverse to using it for up close work, within 20y or so, where acquiring a scope picture with my rifle might be more difficult. Although I’ve yet to use the 40 to take a deer, I’ve used it twice for a coup de gras shot. I can comfortably say the 40 is more than enough to take a whitetail deer within the ranges the round is designed to be effective.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    If an ethical opportunity presents next November, I’ll take lots of pics while processing and share with the class. My logic: I’ve lost count of how many white tails I’ve seen dropped at 50-100y with a 357mag. The wound channel doesn’t look much different than that inflicted by a 30/30 or even my muzzleloader, which sends a 240g slug @ 2000fps. Well, the muzzleloader is a bit more brutal. My point, the projectile design and energy delivered of the 40 and 357mag aren’t that far apart, 500 vs 600ft/lbs respectively. Both rounds were designed to quickly stop a human bad guy. A deers body composition isn’t much different from that of a human. Given what I’ve laid out above, I’m having a hard time seeing how a 40sw at a reasonable range would give much pause to being an ethical choice. Are there better choices, for sure. Will the 40 work well? Pretty sure it will.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Let us know.

I wonder how the .40 S&W bullet compares to .357.
    Larger frontal area and shorter axis.........will it range through on intended line?

Also wonder how many bad guys popped with .40's are one shot stops. And of those, how many died on scene.
    Thought most folks shooting deer w .357 opted for the heavier bullets, like 180's
    Yet for bad guys the preferred bullets were 110 and 125's.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Thought most folks shooting deer w .357 opted for the heavier bullets, like 180's
    Yet for bad guys the preferred bullets were 110 and 125's.

I have had much success with .357 whitetail hunting using 158gr.

I've had several shots, without hitting bone, not exit the hide on higher grain loads.

I have a few 125gr I may try next season now that you mention it just to assess. Never even considered going that low.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've shot one deer w .357 and where I hit him, anything would have worked the same (neck shot- spine- facing away......on purpose).
    Buddy has a Delta Elite. Had it cranked. I shot it at 50 yard targets. Good groups. Didn't feel very potent though.
    I'm on the fence on getting a 10mm 1911.

Top Bottom