• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    With our recent move and my retirement I'd like to start wetting a line a little more often. I've never cared much for bank fishing so getting a small boat may be in my future. I don't live too far from Morse Reservoir but have heard the fishing isn't great there. I'm minutes away from the White River north of Strawtown and have heard that it's a great smallmouth fishery. While I love catching smallies, they aren't my favorite and I'd like to be able to pursue walleye or crappie if this stretch of river holds many of either species.

Just looking for some advice as far as what type of boat might be the most appropriate for scooting around on the river and where I might find decent spots for walleye or crappie in this area? I've read about people catching walleye on the river south of Indy so I assume there are some up here as well. I don't honestly know if crappie inhabit rivers or if they're just a stillwater species.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    Having fished that area for many years in everything that floats, I have to say the Mokai (jet yak) was the best bang for the buck ! Not sure where you heard that the White River is a Great smallmouth fishery as most of us know there are no fish in White River:):

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That Mokai is cool, I haven't seen that before. I need something I can take my wife and daughter out on though so it won't work for me.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    There are definitely crappie in the white river, they typically smaller than the ones in reservoirs but you can do ok if you are willing to sort through the rock bass and panfish. Depending on where you will be, a John boat would probably do ok. We’ve used a 12 footer with a flat bottom and it seemed to do fine. Think it had a 10hp motor on it.

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    Go down to the White River, talk to the guys that fish for catfish and carp. They know where all the fish are and usually have no problem whats so ever helping you out. Don't discount the city either, there are fish downtown Indianapolis.

Top Bottom