• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My father passed the week before Christmas, and one of the things he left for me was his crossbow. It's a Barnett Recruit, nothing to fancy, but it's what he used to take deer with. I taught my daughter and older son how to shot a compound bow a couple of years ago (youth sized), and we where able to use a bag of much and a 1/2 thick sheet of plywood up against our barn as a backstop. My question would be how much of a backstop would I need to work with this crossbow. I wasn't able to find any of dad's bolts, so any recommendations for target bolts (inexpensive and expendable) would also be greatly appreciated. My older son has expressed an interest in hunting, getting myself comfortable enough with this to wear I can help him learn as well would be my goal.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I use hay bales behind an archery target rated for the fps bow you are using. Haybales are cheap and effective

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I’m pretty sure hay bales ain’t gonna work. I would assume most crossbows are firing the bolt at 300+ FPS. Any bolt (or arrow) at that speed will fly right threw a hay bale in short order. You need to look for a target bag rated to stop bolts. You could build your own. Build a box and skin it with landscape cloth or similar material. Then fill the box with old cloths, blankets, etc. Do a Google search of Third Hand Archery target skins. They sell the skin(s) for about $30 and there are several tutorials about how to build the many variations of the box. I’ve built this and it will, indeed, stop arrows. If you have some 2x6” lumber laying around, some screws or nails, and can use a circular you’re good to go. You could even even make a project build joint venture with your kids.

Dont know about cheap/expendable bolts. Try Bass Pro/Cabelas or some other big box store.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I’m pretty sure hay bales ain’t gonna work. I would assume most crossbows are firing the bolt at 300+ FPS. Any bolt (or arrow) at that speed will fly right threw a hay bale in short order. You need to look for a target bag rated to stop bolts. You could build your own. Build a box and skin it with landscape cloth or similar material. Then fill the box with old cloths, blankets, etc. Do a Google search of Third Hand Archery target skins. They sell the skin(s) for about $30 and there are several tutorials about how to build the many variations of the box. I’ve built this and it will, indeed, stop arrows. If you have some 2x6” lumber laying around, some screws or nails, and can use a circular you’re good to go. You could even even make a project build joint venture with your kids.

Dont know about cheap/expendable bolts. Try Bass Pro/Cabelas or some other big box store.

Thanks for the tips! I will certainly check that out tonight. Barnett's website says 330fps, which does seem to me would sail straight through a hay bale. I know the compound bow the kids where learning on would sometimes go though the 40# bag of much, hit the plywood, and bounce most of the way back out; and i think it only had a 20# draw on it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Well i did say a target rated for the bow with haybales behind it. Works just fine for me, but i also dont miss my target. 2 deep haybales will stop my bolts which are moving at 370fps. I tested it to make sure it was sufficient without target first with my fence behind that. Haybales are tightly compressed with the straw woven in alot of directions. Does really well to stop arrows or bolts. With mine at 370fps it doesn't even go all the way thru the first bale. Its also whats used at my local archery range as a secondary stop

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the tips! I will certainly check that out tonight. Barnett's website says 330fps, which does seem to me would sail straight through a hay bale. I know the compound bow the kids where learning on would sometimes go though the 40# bag of much, hit the plywood, and bounce most of the way back out; and i think it only had a 20# draw on it.

I have a Barnett Quad 400 that runs a bolt at 345fps.
    About 3 years ago I hit a small button buck with it at the incredible distance of about 25 feet. What I didn't know at the time was that there was a second button buck behind the first.
    That bolt did a complete passthrough on BOTH button bucks, traveled another 45 yards, and buried about 1/4" of the broadhead into a tree!

Please be sure that you have a safe backdrop. Take into consideration that someone may miss the target. You MUST know where that bolt will go if you do miss the target.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I don't have a crossbow yet. But I have looked online at some DIY Backstops. A common backstop I see is a large carpet remnant draped over a line so it doubles up the thickness. This carpet is set up behind an archery bag. Here is a photo I found on Archery 360:

Backstop-Photo-Credit-TradGang_com.jpg

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I purchased some bolts at Rural King that were reasonably priced and seem to work well. Cheaper than Cabela's, not sure if better quality but worked for me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: i cannot help you one bit about the crossbow.

But I want to offer my condolences to you and yours on the loss of your father. It's not easy to lose a parent. I went through it in Sept with my dad, and my wife has lost both of her biological parents within the last 6 years.

I hope the best going forward.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis

OH, I really like this idea. I've got a 2 story barn in the back yard that we've previously did archery training against. I think a few brackets, some high gauge wire, and some carpet is a great idea, obviously with an archery target in the foreground as well. I can't foresee missing by far enough to not hit at least the barn, and it's got 2x4 walls with insulation, so I would think that the barn itself would stop a bolt, but I'd rather not have a bunch for arrow/bolt holes in it.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I can appreciate the thinking into a quality backstop. That said, my favorite thing about my crossbow is the amazing consistency and accuracy. Shooting a 2x2’ target at 20-40 yards, a bad shot is a few inches off aim point. Shoot the same spot with a second bolt and you’ll likely destroy the first. I use a crossbow rated target, in front of a poured concrete wall for much of my target shooting. I’m no Robin Hood and have yet to trash a bolt. On another note, my son shoots the Barnett Recruit. It’s an excellent shooting bow. Have fun!

Top Bottom