• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was really expecting a different kind of cougar out of Hamilton County.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dunno. No scale/perspective. God only knows how big it really is. Could be the size of a house cat for all we know.

I once saw what APPEARED to be a 4' tall jackrabbit about 100 yards down a narrow trail in the woods. The narrow path and a low spot in the canopy about halfway to the rabbit made it look MUCH bigger than it really was.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, it's a bit too small and far away to tell but it does look like it could be a cougar. Judging by the mulch mound around that tree in the foreground, it appears as though that thing is in "civilization", and not at the edge of some farmer's field.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I dunno. No scale/perspective. God only knows how big it really is. Could be the size of a house cat for all we know.

I once saw what APPEARED to be a 4' tall jackrabbit about 100 yards down a narrow trail in the woods. The narrow path and a low spot in the canopy about halfway to the rabbit made it look MUCH bigger than it really was.

Years ago, first time on unfamiliar property, just before sunrise, and a VERY thick fog obscuring my view of the cornfield in front of me, I took a shot at what looked to be a large doe at about 40 yards.
    I hit it with a 325gr JHP .454 Casull.
    What I collected turned out to be a VERY small doe, that was about 40 FEET in front of me!

My brother teases me still about using the largest caliber I can lay my hands on to take the smallest deer!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    To my eyes, using what I know and what I've seen of big cats. Taking into account the black tip on the tail and the way it moves. I say it's definitely a cougar.

Yes I saw the black tail tip in a couple frames, that and when it turns and its body become shadowed and clearly shows its profile (at 30 seconds) convinced me

This is also the same area where some livestock was killed recently.

Jt22453

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    Greenwood
    Cougars have been extinct in Indiana for nearly 150 years.The last confirmed cougar was killed in 1868 in this state. Unless it is someone’s pet or something such.Bobcats do live in Hamilton county, though. I would say it’s a bobcat or housecat closer than it appears. They have the black spot on the end of the tail that some of you mention. When I think of a bobcat I think of a bobbed tail. But some have what looks like a kind of half tail and they are 2 to 3 times the size of a housecat. Based off what I’ve read that would be my best educated guess.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    R55ISxR.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Cougars have been extinct in Indiana for nearly 150 years.The last confirmed cougar was killed in 1868 in this state. Unless it is someone’s pet or something such.Bobcats do live in Hamilton county, though. I would say it’s a bobcat or housecat closer than it appears. They have the black spot on the end of the tail that some of you mention. When I think of a bobcat I think of a bobbed tail. But some have what looks like a kind of half tail and they are 2 to 3 times the size of a housecat. Based off what I’ve read that would be my best educated guess.

I think your guess needs more education. Or your purple is broken. 2 mules killed in the last week by a large cat. Horse attacked and put down because of a large cat. We have found kills with cougar size pug marks in Van Buren township down in southern Brown County. There are cougars in the state and have been for several years. That video shows a cat with a tail as long as its body. That is no bobcat.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom