• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    This is probably a dumb question but the DNR site isn't perfectly clear.

For small game hunting at Willow Slough, do you have to check in with the guys inside the headquarters, or do you just grab the reporting/permit card and go?

The website makes it sound like it's either or, or both. A buddy of mine has always just grabbed a card and went out.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I grab a bunch of cards and keep them in the truck. Go whenever I can straight to the woods.
    Did you ever check in with the headquarters? Like I said DNR isn't very specific. Wording makes it sound like it could be a few different procedures.

Last time I went with a friend we just grabbed cards and went, because that's what he's always done. Just don't want to run into problems if I happen to cross paths with a conservation officer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    I haven’t hunted willow slough but I do hunt at La Salle which I think is the same but not certain. I was confused as well and asked the guy in the office how it works for deer season.
    At the headquarters there are clip boards to sign in on for different game. I believe small game is included. You sign in with your hunter number and for area put what parking area your at. Fill out a card which includes your hunter number and parking area from the sign in sheet and carry it with you. Once you’re done hunting you drop the card at one of the drop boxes leaving the parking areas.
    When they pick up the cards and compare them to the sign in sheets they know who hunted and what area.
    Also, if you were to get hurt or went missing they could check the drop boxes and know if you left the property or not.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I've never signed in. That's why I grab the cards so I can go straight to the woods.

I only hunt squirrels. I know bird hunting and deer is different.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I've never signed in. That's why I grab the cards so I can go straight to the woods.

I only hunt squirrels. I know bird hunting and deer is different.
    Cool deal. I'd mostly go for squirrel as well. Was gonna go today but the friends I would go with couldn't. Lost the motivation to get up and go haha

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I believe you are required to sign in and out each time. You are hunting illegally if you don't.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    I believe you are required to sign in and out each time. You are hunting illegally if you don't.

I think this is true as well. The permit card has a space for hunter number which corresponds with the sign in sheet. I was checked while deer hunting and the CO asked for my license and permit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I think this is true as well. The permit card has a space for hunter number which corresponds with the sign in sheet. I was checked while deer hunting and the CO asked for my license and permit card.

Is that inside the headquarters or did they have sheets by the cards right outside the door? For some reason, I feel like last time I went, the headquarters wasn't even open.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    I’ve only hunted at LaSalle which I think is the same.
    At LaSalle there are clipboards with sign in sheets for each type of game outside the headquarters building.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I’ve only hunted at LaSalle which I think is the same.
    At LaSalle there are clipboards with sign in sheets for each type of game outside the headquarters building.

What did you hunt? Small game? Isn't LaSalle mostly marsh?

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Winamac has a sign in sheet. Do that (think it mostly for liability waiver) and then take your card.
    Mississinewa just has sign in boxes (sheets and cards) around the area, no central office.

Have hunted both for small game and deer, for decades.

Have always signed in.

Tex281

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    NWI
    It gets flooded in some areas. I recommend rubber boots, you never know when you’ll end up in ankle deep water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom