• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So first off.... do these 3 pics all look like the same deer?

next question... regardless if it is the same deer or not. He is only showing up at night but it is fairly regular and has some good rub lines I found ... also he is tending a scrape I put a camera on and freshened up.

how do I try and get him comfortable on my property? Timed feeder? Food plot? Water?

Attachments

• D81D36B2-2E91-4565-80B6-0D55399A991B.jpg
      D81D36B2-2E91-4565-80B6-0D55399A991B.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 87
    • 2EE371E6-131D-4A87-997B-583B655DA905.jpg
      2EE371E6-131D-4A87-997B-583B655DA905.jpg
      97.1 KB · Views: 78
    • 97E2E048-47F8-43F1-AE45-146F507FE79B.jpg
      97E2E048-47F8-43F1-AE45-146F507FE79B.jpg
      84.6 KB · Views: 79

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I would say the 1 and 3 pic are the same deer. The 2 pic might be but looks narrower in spread. As to keeping him on your plot, there are several members her who should be able to give you tips, phylodog, DEC etc. That is beyond my knowledge and experience.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Assuming this is indiana, not texas, the rut is over, he is nocturnal until late October. Just stay out of his bedroom, and give him room to breath, and wait.

Next year, try some moc scrapes early october.

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    Low pressure is key! Only hunt when conditions are perfect (weather, moon phase, time of year). Food source and secure bedding area. Big mature bucks will favor secure bedding areas over food sources so if you know where he may be bedding stay away.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    This is Indiana... just trying to keep this guy comfortable until next year.. I have HEAVY hunting pressure around me but mostly gun/muzzle. Issue number ... ? I was going to build a permanent blind on my property & a pond... this will be loud and likely last a couple days. I only own 10 acres. But I have an adjoining 10 acres that is abandoned. and ag fields everywhere else. So should I put off building the blind & pond...? The pond will be closer to the house... so less likely to bother him... but will be close to one of his big rub lines.... if not on top of it. The blind will be where I see the most deer activity. Seems kind of silly to put off progress... but hes a monster and I am in no hurry or time crunch for either project really. What about pulling sim cards... how do I go about that without bothering everyone is there a good time of day?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Another thing.... with my small property and only getting night time pics. Is this just part of his nightly route or is he bedded close?

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    Another thing.... with my small property and only getting night time pics. Is this just part of his nightly route or is he bedded close?

Could be either. Pay close attention to which way he walks by your camera and what times. If it’s early evening bedding is likely close by and can give you an idea as to where he likes to hide out.

As for your projects. I don’t know that I would put them off if it were me but building a pond in his bedroom will likely run him off. I usually pull my cameras this time of year to preserve camera life. When I do get them back out I try to make it so I can drive right up to them to swap cards. Might even spray them with scent eliminator after handeling

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    What is the status of the abandoned property? Is it a likely bedding area?

all oak saplings with a few large pines mixed in

my property is overgrown apple trees cherry trees pines and lots of tall grass my property used to be a working produce farm that has been neglected for years.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Could be either. Pay close attention to which way he walks by your camera and what times. If it’s early evening bedding is likely close by and can give you an idea as to where he likes to hide out.

As for your projects. I don’t know that I would put them off if it were me but building a pond in his bedroom will likely run him off. I usually pull my cameras this time of year to preserve camera life. When I do get them back out I try to make it so I can drive right up to them to swap cards. Might even spray them with scent eliminator after handeling

i have pics of him tending a scrape at 1am (heading into my land) and pics of him heading towards my property and woods next door at 5am

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

are the cameras prone to death in the winter? These are brand new cameras and have had TERRIBLE luck with cameras..... when should I put them back out ?

also I think it is worth noting.... the rub line I found with the big trees I have pics of him at.... is 200yds from my back door. I can see the rub out my window. Pond was going to be 100yds from my back door in between the house and the rub

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    This is Indiana... just trying to keep this guy comfortable until next year.. I have HEAVY hunting pressure around me but mostly gun/muzzle. Issue number ... ? I was going to build a permanent blind on my property & a pond... this will be loud and likely last a couple days. I only own 10 acres. But I have an adjoining 10 acres that is abandoned. and ag fields everywhere else. So should I put off building the blind & pond...? The pond will be closer to the house... so less likely to bother him... but will be close to one of his big rub lines.... if not on top of it. The blind will be where I see the most deer activity. Seems kind of silly to put off progress... but hes a monster and I am in no hurry or time crunch for either project really. What about pulling sim cards... how do I go about that without bothering everyone is there a good time of day?

Build the pond if you want(water sources can be good places to hunt during the rut) and build the permanent blind(deer figure out "permanent blinds and stands quickly so hunt it sparingly if you intend to hunt mature bucks out of it) if you want to but do it sooner rather later. Deer are adaptable and readily live in close proximity to people, IMO neither of those projects are likely to disturb the buck much long term. If you are really concerned about the disturbance then start putting food out for the deer as you are working on the projects and for awhile there after to help get them used to it a little bit quicker. Long term, planting food and cover will help this buck and others feel more comfortable on your property.

As for checking your cameras, it really doesn't matter that much right now when you do it. During hunting season I try to limit checking my cameras to the times when I'm hunting nearby or when deer are least likely to be active in the area if I have to change batteries and have no plans to hunt the area soon.

Top Bottom