• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    “Whoever indulges in any of these methods save from necessity, is a butcher, pure and simple, and has no business in the company of true sportsmen.”

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    if the corn is rejected ag corn as suggested.... you would think it would be cheaper than the actual animal feed. If this is true then that is clever marketing...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I feed protein pellets because the coons and other critters don't hit it as hard as corn BUT, I wouldn't worry too much about feeding deer corn, even the supposedly condemned corn is better quality than the corn left in a field after harvest that has been rained on and frozen/thawed multiple times.

Besides some states(Texas being one) require deer corn to meet certain standards at least for public land use so most bagged corn is labeled with testing information.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Around here if you are dumping corn on the ground, you are feeding, raccoons,squirrels, and mice. Deer can't find it before the others finish it off.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Condemned Corn? Can't believe everything you read on the internet. I've been feeding corn to deer in the winter for years and never had a problem. Not going to stop now due to some internet story from a fear stoking journalist.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    You wouldn't buy condemned corn. I don't even know what that really is. It would stink, or be black or moldy, or something that you would just absolutely not buy. Come summertime as we're emptying the bins it might be a little dusty, but no farmer sends corn to the elevator that he knows is not going to make the grade, because, well, the elevator is not going to take it.
    Also don't see a problem with corn left in the field all winter, some might rot but a lot is still pretty decent looking come spring. It's pretty tough stuff.

EDIT: Ok actually read the article, Gasset is a gas bag IMO. Obviously an activist working to eliminate baiting. Mycotoxin in corn can happen, depending on growing conditions, but it's not all that common. Corn sold for baiting is not going to be much out of the 13 billion bushels we produce, so it just makes no sense logistically that all the 'condemned' corn would make it into the 'bait' market.
    Full disclosure; I feed a lot of deer and everything else with some we leave on the ground and I don't even deer hunt.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Above all else... From a biological standpoint, animals' digestive tracts are different than ours. Their immune systems are different than ours.

Who cares that an animal can eat food not fit for human consumption...and we "can't"?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have hunted deer in the south where hunting over bait is still legal. My experience was that deer tended to be more nocturnal and moved less in distances due to the availability of food.

The way I found to be successful was to put your stand in between someone else bait area on an adjacent property and the bed areas on the property I was hunting. The deer would come through headed to bed only during the 1st hour of light.

That was my experience of actually hunting in an area where bait is legal in season.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have hunted deer in the south where hunting over bait is still legal. My experience was that deer tended to be more nocturnal and moved less in distances due to the availability of food.

The way I found to be successful was to put your stand in between someone else bait area on an adjacent property and the bed areas on the property I was hunting. The deer would come through headed to bed only during the 1st hour of light.

That was my experience of actually hunting in an area where bait is legal in season.

I had similar experiences hunting with bait in Texas. The deer learn quickly to avoid bait during legal shooting time when people are hunting over or near it.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I hunted a bait pile route in Michigan. Guy on Fed land had a year round pile. I hunted the cover leading to it. Baiting is banned now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A few years back I found a neighbor had set up a big two person metal stand 20 steps from the fence and had a big pile of corn on the ground, empty bags scattered around the area. Hung an extra no trespassing sign and attached a note reminding them not to hunt on my ground. Opening day of bow season I went back out there and it was all gone. They got the message.

Top Bottom