• ...and so much more!
  • El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I have been doing some research for a while on affordable(to me) night vision scopes. Today I bought a ATN X sight HD 3-14 for coyote hunting. I got the HD IR light and the battery pack with it. Does anyone have any tips or advice about this setup from experience?
    And before anyone says I should have bought a thermal scope, that will be my next purchase down the road.
    Thanks in advance.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Former ATN dealer here as well. They are junk.

Specifically on the one you bought, I ended up selling the last I had well below dealer cost with the stipulation no returns because they are junk. I'm on a phone, but you can look up my classifieds add stating the issues.

The time for research like this is pre purchase, not post purchase.

Last edited:

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Soooo what you guys are telling me I made a big mistake and bought a paper weight. I should have asked the question before I bought it. Thanks for the input.

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    Edit

Soooo what you guys are telling me I made a big mistake and bought a paper weight. I should have asked the question before I bought it. Thanks for the input.

i wouldn’t say big mistake as it’s better than using a red light. Just like the x sight before the 4x I think they had a lot of software issues but they will surely get a handle on it sooner or later and you can update it. If your gonna continue to use NV then go ahead and get a good IR light to go with it. I’ve never personally used one but you have it so may as well try it out and make your own opinion as it may fine for your needs. If you don’t like it someone will buy it. Do your homework before getting your wallet out next time although in this game probably means spending more money!

Sorry thought i had read you got the x4. A guy I know has the x sight and said the newest update was good.:dunno:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I have been doing some research for a while on affordable(to me) night vision scopes. Today I bought a ATN X sight HD 3-14 for coyote hunting. I got the HD IR light and the battery pack with it. Does anyone have any tips or advice about this setup from experience?
    And before anyone says I should have bought a thermal scope, that will be my next purchase down the road.
    Thanks in advance.

I've got the earlier version and it works fine. I've never had a problem with it. I'm sure the newer model is better. One thing I did was to get a better IR illuminator. The thing works very well, especially on a night with a bright moon, but with the IR, it does fine on a moonless night. It is really only good hunting from a stand, though. What I like about it is that you are able to easily sight it in during the day. You aren't going to take 400 yard shots with it, but I think it is easy to make shots out in the 100 to 150 yard range or so, which is fine for a stand at night, but not great in the day time. If it functions properly, which mine always has, it will open the door for you until you decide you can afford something better. The other side is that you try it and if you decide night hunting isn't your thing, you haven't mortgaged your house for it.

Also, I LOVE that with the wifi, I can take a tablet or phone and give it to one of my boys and they can see what I'm seeing with the scope. That feature works very well and they love it.

I've since bought a FLIR thermal sight, which is light years better, BUT cost a helluva lot more. At the time I bought the ATN, I didn't have the budget for something more. I've thought about selling the ATN, but I've hung onto it for when I hunt with a buddy.

I hear all this stuff about them being junk, and maybe they are, but they sure sell a bunch of these things and they've been around a long time. I'd think if everybody was dissatisfied or they broke all the time, that company would have been sunk a long time ago. Mine works just fine. I'd love to see how much the new one has improved.

That's all just my humble opinion based on a sample of 1, but it does everything it was advertised to do.

Oh yeah, take plenty of batteries. Unless they've improved that, too, mine sucks batteries. I just take a couple extra sets. No biggie.

Last edited:

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I've got the earlier version and it works fine. I've never had a problem with it. I'm sure the newer model is better. One thing I did was to get a better IR illuminator. The thing works very well, especially on a night with a bright moon, but with the IR, it does fine on a moonless night. It is really only good hunting from a stand, though. What I like about it is that you are able to easily sight it in during the day. You aren't going to take 400 yard shots with it, but I think it is easy to make shots out in the 100 to 150 yard range or so, which is fine for a stand at night, but not great in the day time. If it functions properly, which mine always has, it will open the door for you until you decide you can afford something better. The other side is that you try it and if you decide night hunting isn't your thing, you haven't mortgaged your house for it.

Also, I LOVE that with the wifi, I can take a tablet or phone and give it to one of my boys and they can see what I'm seeing with the scope. That feature works very well and they love it.

I've since bought a FLIR thermal sight, which is light years better, BUT cost a helluva lot more. At the time I bought the ATN, I didn't have the budget for something more. I've thought about selling the ATN, but I've hung onto it for when I hunt with a buddy.

I hear all this stuff about them being junk, and maybe they are, but they sure sell a bunch of these things and they've been around a long time. I'd think if everybody was dissatisfied or they broke all the time, that company would have been sunk a long time ago. Mine works just fine. I'd love to see how much the new one has improved.

That's all just my humble opinion based on a sample of 1, but it does everything it was advertised to do.

Oh yeah, take plenty of batteries. Unless they've improved that, too, mine sucks batteries. I just take a couple extra sets. No biggie.

Thanks for this input. I did get a upgrade on the IR and a external battery pack. As I said in my original post, I did do a lot of research before I bought it. I saw mixed reviews but the majority said they liked it. Thought I would give it a try and if I didn't like it I wasn't out much.
    I think my next purchase will be a thermal. I saw a video last night of a friends coyote hunt with his thermal scope and it was awesome. I would love to have one like his but he paid over 8 grand for it. Maybe sometime soon.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Thanks for this input. I did get a upgrade on the IR and a external battery pack. As I said in my original post, I did do a lot of research before I bought it. I saw mixed reviews but the majority said they liked it. Thought I would give it a try and if I didn't like it I wasn't out much.
    I think my next purchase will be a thermal. I saw a video last night of a friends coyote hunt with his thermal scope and it was awesome. I would love to have one like his but he paid over 8 grand for it. Maybe sometime soon.

No prob. The FLIR I bought is a Thermosight PTS233 and it is awesome. I want to say I paid about $1900 for it on sale. They typically go for $2200. It's performance is outstanding for the money. It seems the price of high performance thermal imaging sights is working its way down. On a bright, hot and sunny day last summer, I watched a guy ride his bike by and at proably 80 to 100 yards I could clearly and easily see his cell phone in his hand. (It was hot). I haven't hunted with it yet. I'm hoping to bag some hogs in Texas with it in the future.

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    Check out pulsars core rxq30v thermal sight. I picked one up at midway for $1900 they now offer a $200 midway gift card with it. It has been a game changer for me. I have been coyote hunting for several years and I have learned more this season using the thermal. I see so many more coyotes now, many as I’m walking into a stand and busted before I even get set up.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Check out pulsars core rxq30v thermal sight. I picked one up at midway for $1900 they now offer a $200 midway gift card with it. It has been a game changer for me. I have been coyote hunting for several years and I have learned more this season using the thermal. I see so many more coyotes now, many as I’m walking into a stand and busted before I even get set up.

Thank you, I will check them out.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    I have the ATN 4K pro 3x14. Other than firmware bugs still being worked out by ATN because it was released way too soon, i like it. The older models are pretty decent for the price point and function better because pretty much all the bugs have been worked out. Two things i suggest is makesure the firmware is updated on the unit and if you really wanna see a big difference upgrade the IR to either a predator tactics coyote reaper xxl IR or a sniper hoglight 66lrx ir.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    UPDATED; Report on my ATN
    It was very easy to sight in, after 2 shots I was shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards using the lowest power. Took it out coyote hunting last night, I could easily see out to 200 yards. Unfortunately we didn't call any coyotes in. I did have a raccoon in the field at about 120 yards and I could tell it was a raccoon by using the night vision scope. Over all I am happy with this scope but I have been doing a lot of research on thermal scopes and I think that may be my next purchase.

Jaygentry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2018
    Noblesville
    I've got 2 different atm. Have not shot either, but I'm looking forward to it. I had a cheap 300 amazon prior to this. But looking forward to it now.

Top Bottom